Author Topic: Windows 7 Toys?  (Read 1579 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Windows 7 Toys?
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:14:47 AM »
Being an analog person trying to survive in a digital society, awhile back I found a nice little freeware utility that replaces the clock in the system tray on my Windows desktop with a plain, completely legible analog clock. Nothing fancy, it just lets me see what time it is. Perfect.

However ...

My (somewhat) new Acer Aspire One netbook came with Windows 7, and my analog clock utility doesn't work with Windows 7. Do any of you geeky types happen to know of another one (freeware, please) that does?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Windows 7 Toys?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
You could just use the built in clock desktop gadget, and set the opacity low so it's not obtrusive.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:13:53 PM »
I just glance at my wrist.  :P
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
You could just use the built in clock desktop gadget, and set the opacity low so it's not obtrusive.

No, I can't use the desktop clock gadget, it doesn't reside in the system tray. Anything I have to look through to see the document I'm working on is obtrusive. The utility I'm using in Xp just puts a nice, clean, round analog clock face in the extreme lower right corner of the screen -- always visible, and never in the way.

I can't believe nobody has done it for Windows 7.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »
No other suggestions?

I'm in analog withdrawal here, and I'm in serious need of an analog fix.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
Lee, the first link is the one I'm using on the Xp machines. It won't work with Vista or Windows 7.

The second link seems to offer a lot more than what I need, and it's not really clear if it will replace the digital clock in the system tray with an analog clock face ... but it's not freeware anyway. Ain't no way I'm going to BUY something that may torpedo my system.

But you're on the right wavelength, and I appreciate the suggestions.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
Tape a watch to the corner of your screen
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »
Tape a watch to the corner of your screen

Thought about it. I have a very nice, plain, round analog clock about 1-1/4" diameter that I got from some gadget place. But ... I don't think it'll play nice with closing the cover on a netbook.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 12:45:05 AM »
maybe a (pocket)watch movement, and hollow out the corner of the screen. >:D would look cool anyway. would be a major project though. [popcorn]

sanglant

• friend
found a current source for a small desk clock
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »
i doubt this is anything you would want, but.

anyway, BB&B has some small alarm clocks, has bells but there just for looks. kinda loud ticking if that's a problem. ~1¾ wide, and ~2¼ to 2½ tall, face is ~1¼. not bad for 5 bucks. =) but then if it lives out the school year i'm happy. :laugh: locker toys, and no there not for me. :laugh:

:laugh: here's Hilliary's on ebay. looks very close to the same, except no mao and it has a fake ringer, and a chain hooked to the bell switch.

they were in the collage/back to school stuff, little basket/shelf on the endcap.