Author Topic: Dang it's hot.  (Read 11261 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Dang it's hot.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »
On the other side of the state it is only 68 as a high and will be 49 overnight which I'm hoping won't screw up my peppers and tomatoes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 07:44:51 PM »
It's in the 90's here.  Sitting on the deck in the shade and a nice breeze has been wafting off the lake all afternoon.  Went down for a swim and put some wax on the pontoon trim while standing in the water and alternating flopping in the water and wiping off the wax. :cool:

I just came back into the AC to check out what the poor people and plebians were doing on APS. :cool: er.

Life is good. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »
Like this?

WTF was she doing?  (and why was the camera on?)
"It's good, though..."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
Its a lie invented by people who don't live in the desert.  115 is like jamming your head in an oven.

Ayup.  It also sucks you dry pretty damn quick.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 08:04:48 PM »
The rough plan is mostly up to the north. The Family reunion is at a "resort" place between Loveland and Estes Park.
We will come into CO on I70 on the way in but I haven't decided on the trip home and may take the southern route that would take us through Pueblo.
My wife hasn't spent much time in Colorado so pretty much anything I show her will be new. I lived in Aurora for about 5 years as a kid and we did all the usual sights then. I've also made a couple trips there on a bike but the last one will have been right at 20 years ago whe we leave next week.
Since we will be right there we'll have to go up into RMNP of course. The last time I rode through there it was one serious cold sleeting, raining SOB of a ride, and very memorable.
If we take the southern route home I may have to take a run up Pikes Peak, last time I was there was in the early '70s.
If we go that way Pueblo would be a convenient stop over for the night.  If we do that it would most likely put us in Pueblo Thursday evening on Aug. 4th.
Then depending on weather we could go back through the panhandle and take a brief visit to Black Mesa on the way home.

Mostly I have a rough trip outline and only a few hard points to make. everything else is written in pencil on warm jello.

Pueblo is hardly a vacationer's dream, but if you come through here, we'll treat you to supper and even put you up for the night if you don't mind staying in our little shabby farmhouse.  (Art Eatman thinks it's a neat place to stay, he's been here several times.)  Plus, the local produce is at it's best, so think chile peppers, sweet corn and Rocky Ford melons.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
102 and high humidity...sucked ass.

It's tolerable in the shade and with a fan. Out in the sunshine and I feel like i'm going to die.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »
Heat index is supposed to be 115 friday and saterday. Right now its a cool 110  =(

For someone who grew up without and still doesn't have and AC, you'd think i'd be able to tolerate the heat a lot better...

Luckly, the trailer is in the shade most of the day so it only gets real bad for a few hours in the late aternoon.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »
For someone who grew up without and still doesn't have and AC, you'd think i'd be able to tolerate the heat a lot better...
We don't have AC, but we have several large cottonwood trees shading the place.  80 inside and over 100 outside is not so bad, especially if you're sitting on the porch drinking a beer.  =D

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 10:55:14 PM »
We don't have AC, but we have several large cottonwood trees shading the place.  80 inside and over 100 outside is not so bad, especially if you're sitting on the porch drinking a beer.  =D

Heat does bad things to me. I don't dare excert myself in temps over 90 without being able to get to a place where I can cool out quick.

I spend a good portion of every summer slightly ill. Headaches, exasted because I can't get enough sleep and half starved  because eating is horrid. Drinking three or four gallons of water a day, ice packs and altering to eating at night help, but it still sucks. And when I fail to keep myself in check I will go down, hard. Nothing like fainting in the grocery store parking lot for a good dose of humiliation.

On the other hand, being cold doesn't bother me so much. It has to be down right frezing for me to turn up the heat.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
Pueblo is hardly a vacationer's dream, but if you come through here, we'll treat you to supper and even put you up for the night if you don't mind staying in our little shabby farmhouse.  (Art Eatman thinks it's a neat place to stay, he's been here several times.)  Plus, the local produce is at it's best, so think chile peppers, sweet corn and Rocky Ford melons.

I'll keep that in mind, at the very least, if we do take that route we'll try to get together for a cool beverage meet up.
As for the chile peppers, I'm getting close to saturation with them, I have 60 plants (Anaheims) in the garden and they are producing pretty good but haven't sold well at the farmers market this year.
Sweet corn and melons is a whole 'nuther deal, my corn pretty well just burned up and my melons just don't want to play in this heat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 11:44:56 PM »
WTF was she doing?  (and why was the camera on?)

Because somebody was holding her beer, silly.....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 02:47:54 AM »
WTF was she doing?  (and why was the camera on?)

Looks like she started to do a pushup, then there was total Fail.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:01:22 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:49 AM »
Monsoonish:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.73890&lon=-105.21500&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Warm, warmer, hot, hotter, rain, cool, cool, warm, warmer, hot, hotter, cool, cool, warm, warmer, hot, hotter, rain, cool, cool, warm, warmer, hot, hotter, rain, cool, cool...

Most of the T-storms get worser as they head out east by nor'east toward KS and NE.

Humidity's up there, compared to the rest of the  year.

I'm glad I just refilled the R-134a stuff in the car, I tell you whut.  Was blowing hot air one warm day last spring.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:50:23 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 06:06:55 AM »
Monsoonish:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.73890&lon=-105.21500&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Warm, warmer, hot, hotter, rain, cool, cool, warm, warmer, hot, hotter, cool, cool, warm, warmer, hot, hotter, rain, cool, cool, warm, warmer, hot, hotter, rain, cool, cool...

Most of the T-storms get worser as they head out east by nor'east toward KS and NE.

Humidity's up there, compared to the rest of the  year.

I'm glad I just refilled the R-134a stuff in the car, I tell you whut.  Was blowing hot air one warm day last spring.

Terry, 230RN

That, sir, is not a monsoon.  As somene who has literally scraped the mildew off oneself due to a monsoon, I can tell you that is not a monsoon.

When you realize that it has been raining continuously for more than 40 days and nights and there is nobody bamed Noah paddling about in a boat, then you might have a monsoon.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 08:30:49 AM »
Right now it is 116.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »
It was about 40 last night
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 08:54:39 AM »
Looks like she started to do a pushup, then there was total Fail.

Planking.  People do it to show off that they are in shape. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
"That, sir, is not a monsoon.  As somene who has literally scraped the mildew off oneself due to a monsoon, I can tell you that is not a monsoon."

That, sir, is what almost every meterologist around here (Colorado) calls it.  Talk to them.

They also call the hot wind that comes off the mountains due to the jet stream dropping down, the "chinook," although that term seems to be dropping out in the last couple of years.  Talk to them.

(Both terms kind of grated with my understanding of them when I first got out here, but I adapted to the regional usage.)

By the way, that graphical display of weather parameters updates almost continuously.

I usually run the window fans all night to draw in cool air to cool all the not-so-obvious thermal masses in the house --couches, books, tables, walls, etc.  I bought one of those pistol-grip infra-red (IR) thermometers for about $30 on sale from Harbor Freight and it's instructive to run around the house pointing it at various things to monitor "how much" heat they retain. (Yes, I keep my finger off the trigger until ready to "shoot.")

One thing I discovered is that the hatch to the attic radiates a lot of heat down into the house since it's not insulated.  It may read, like, 95° while the ceiling next to it, insulated, shows about 85° --about 10°-15° typical delta.

I found the temperature readings from the pine trees out back are very responsive to cloud cover.  It would seem the small thermal masses of the individual pine needles are quick to respond to clouds passing over, and the IR meter covers a considerable area at that distance (~ 15 feet), so it's kind of an average reading of the trees' temperature.  It correlates very well with the outdoor remote-reading thermometer I've got on that side of the house except for the time lag.

I don't usually have to turn on the A/C until around one-two o'clock, but a lot of that depends on the cloud cover.

Terry, 230RN

REFS:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weather/9459810/detail.html

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9460883/detail.html

CEN-TECH Model 96451 Infrared Thermometer
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:22:09 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.