Author Topic: Another Glock .40 "feature" discovered  (Read 4697 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Another Glock .40 "feature" discovered
« on: July 20, 2011, 07:29:07 AM »
http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2011/07/anyone-heard-of-this-possible-glock.html

It's either the ejector (not likely) or the extractor (possibly) setting off the primer when you are not expecting that to happen.

Seems to be related to something being where it's not supposed to be.  (well, Duh!)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Another Glock .40 "feature" discovered
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
That's why you have to be professional enough.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
Unpossible.
Gl%cks don't malfunction.
7-11 was a part time job.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »
Unpossible.
Gl%cks don't malfunction.

Nope. The 'splode. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
I don't see a "discovery" here.  I see a forum post about a blog post which quotes a blog comment that summarizes unreferenced and possibly imaginary "reports from Glock" about something happening which most people involved believe to be impossible or unlikely.

Anyone have a link to the "reports from Glock"?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
I have owned a Glock 22 since they first came out and it has been 100 percent reliable.  Never had a jam or stovepipe yet......chris3

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
I don't see a "discovery" here.  I see a forum post about a blog post which quotes a blog comment that summarizes unreferenced and possibly imaginary "reports from Glock" about something happening which most people involved believe to be impossible or unlikely.

Anyone have a link to the "reports from Glock"?

But but but... Glocks! They explode!  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:42:03 AM »
I have owned a Glock 22 since they first came out and it has been 100 percent reliable.  Never had a jam or stovepipe yet......chris3
Same here.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »
I've always wondered why all the Glock "malfunctions" seem to occur on the .40S&W models....and never on the 9mm, .45ACP, 10mm, or .45GAP models.....

...maybe it's more the cartridge than the pistol?.....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »

And it's not the extractor that's the problem with slam fires.  It's lack of maintenance and basic firearms hygiene.  I've witnessed a slam fire from a Glock.  The EXACT cause was that the owner hadn't concerned himself with cleaning the gun.  Ever.  He fell into the "it's a Glock so you don't have to do anything but shoot it" category.  There was so much gunk and crusted crap around the striker that it couldn't rebound fully, eventually causing it to stick in a slightly forward position.  It protruded just enough to cause the slam fire.  I had to completely disassemble the striker mechanism to dig all the funk out of it.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:14:47 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »
exactly! that why every few years I clean my model 22 whether I feel it needs it or not. :P

The only time I ever had a malfunction was when I had a .357 sig barrel in my model 22, & that gun was bought from a range going out of business-it was their most popular rental & had been shot eleventybillion times
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »
Our first generation Glock 21 (thats the .45) had a feed issue. Sent it back to the factoryand it was a quick fix. Can't rmemeber what they replaced.

We've had no issues with our .40
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »
But but but... Glocks! They explode!  ;/

Yes, yes they do

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
I've always wondered why all the Glock "malfunctions" seem to occur on the .40S&W models....and never on the 9mm, .45ACP, 10mm, or .45GAP models.....

...maybe it's more the cartridge than the pistol?.....  =|

A failure of the Glock company more than anything else...they shoehorned .40 into a gun built for 9mm in an effort to beat S&W to the market of bringing a pistol out to go along with the .40S&W cartridge. MOST don't have issues, but there have been SOME issues with .40 cal Glocks (hence the change to a heavier, dual spring recoil spring in Gen 4 Glocks)

Glocks were designed for 9mm. As I understand it there was then a later design specifically for 10mm (the Glock 20). And then, if the history I researched is correct, the Glock 20 was adapted for .45ACP. Hence you don't get the issues of a 9mm design going up to .40 when your design, built for 10mm, is  adapted to .45ACP.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »
A failure of the Glock company more than anything else...they shoehorned .40 into a gun built for 9mm in an effort to beat S&W to the market of bringing a pistol out to go along with the .40S&W cartridge. MOST don't have issues, but there have been SOME issues with .40 cal Glocks (hence the change to a heavier, dual spring recoil spring in Gen 4 Glocks)

I don't think the dual recoil spring has anything to do with the .40S&W issues.  That's just a recoil reduction thing which they've used for a long time on their 26 (9mm) and 27 (.40) sub-compact models.

The old Glock .40S&W issue was an unsupported chamber.  They fixed that one up a long time ago.  Even then it was usually only an issue with reloaded brass that had been used in an unsupported chamber a number of times IIRC.

From what I'm gathering form other gun bloggers is that this particular failure was related to an after-market ejector getting bent out of shape.  If correct, IMHO, once you start replacing basic parts it's no longer Glock's fault.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »

Glocks were designed for 9mm. As I understand it there was then a later design specifically for 10mm (the Glock 20). And then, if the history I researched is correct, the Glock 20 was adapted for .45ACP. Hence you don't get the issues of a 9mm design going up to .40 when your design, built for 10mm, is  adapted to .45ACP.

It's a little of this. Although the entire point of the .40 S&W (besides backing off of the post Miami shootout FBI 10mm project which some felt the stout recoil was a training/practice hinderance) was to "get it into 9mm sized frames and designs". So arguably Glock just did what the .40 was designed for.

And as Giga said, it's a little of the small space of unsupported chamber at the 6 o'clock position where the feed ramp interfaces with the chamber. A compromise Glock made in the early runs in favor of feed reliability over case support. And the .40's much higher average pressure as divided by case volume/surface area. SAMMI is 35,000psi, the same as 9mm does, but in a smaller case, which will give 9mm a thicker web to case wall ratio. So that 35,000 psi has significantly more case internal surface area to act on in the .40. The .40 is a much less forgiving cartridge, in any pistol. Even it's truncated conical shape in FMJ was due to the need to get 180gr into the bullet, while not exceeding the OAL of 9mm...

And it's a little of people ignoring the "NO LEAD BULLETS" rule with polygonal rifling, and over-pressuring their Glock, then lying about why it KB'ed.

And it's a little of Glocks being so popular. If one particular car was in the majority of crashes, people wouldn't automatically think it's the car, they might reasonably believe it's just the odds. Or conversely, people ignore simple statistics, and think "there's some kind of special problem"

And it's a little of gun culture/internet rumor. When a Glock KB's it's automatically "part of the pattern" in people's minds. Whereas every other KB in revolvers or other autos is dismissed as "some sort of random freak accident" etc.

So it's a little bit of everything, IMO. The whole "Glock KB problem in .40" is 20% the design/unsupported web/feedramp issue. 20% how unforgiving the .40 is in terms of pressure/surface area. 20% it's popularity and resulting statistics. 20% people lying, screwing up their ammo and cleaning practices. And 20% internet rumor mill/bashing.

In the breakdown, I say it's 20% Glock's design choices. 20% how finicky the .40 is, and 60% BS, stupidity/negligence, rumor mongering.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »

And it's a little of Glocks being so popular. If one particular car was in the majority of crashes, people wouldn't automatically think it's the car, they might reasonably believe it's just the odds. Or conversely, people ignore simple statistics, and think "there's some kind of special problem"

The Corvair and the Pinto.

The defense rests....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »
For the sake of "vetting" Glocks, I put over 2500 rounds through a G27 without cleaning it.  It took over 3 years as I don't shooting it a lot, at least by my standards.  I also shot about 3500 through a G23 over the course of about a year and a half without cleaning it.  Both pistols shot flawlessly. 

I finally couldn't knock back the guilt and cleaned them.   :laugh: