Author Topic: Prayers Needed......  (Read 3865 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Prayers Needed......
« on: March 28, 2005, 08:24:52 AM »
Folks, I could really use any good wishes or prayers you are willing to send my way.
My daughter is 2 weeks from being a year old. She was admitted to the hospital early this evening. She has an infection which is causing a high fever. Wasn't feeling too well yesterday, and spiked a 103 degree temp around 8pm. By the time we drove 30 minutes to the ER, it was 105. It came down with cool cloths and some ibuprofen, but an hour ago it was back to 103. She's got chills, and the poor kid hurts from the infection. I'm sure she'll be fine, but every little bit helps.
Boy, it really makes me feel helpless, seeing my little girl hurt this way. I'd rather face a whole crew of bad guys with my bare hands than see her this way.
Sad
Hi.

Indy7373

Prayers Needed......
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 08:40:26 AM »
I will keep her in my prayers
Happiness is a warm gun.

uvakat

• friend
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:43:14 AM »
I don't know if God listens to me anymore, but I will keep her in my prayers
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

Pebcac

• friend
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 10:14:58 AM »
Prayers sent.  Keep the faith.
Problem exists between computer and chair.

Unisaw

• friend
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 01:19:20 PM »
More on the way.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

grampster

• friend
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 02:19:16 PM »
Been doing that a lot lately.  You are on the list.  I remember when my kids were little and were sick or in pain.  The agony that we parents go through is like an out of body experience.  I always asked God to transfer that pain to me and I held em close.   My babies are in their 30's now and I still hurt when they do.  Prayers do work, but you gotta believe, too.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Leatherneck

• friend
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 04:40:13 AM »
Fjolnirsson, there's nothing more scary than a sick child. But in my experience, kids get sick to a degree that would near kill an adult, and then pop back with no aftereffects. I'll pray that your daughter gets well quickly.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Antibubba

• friend
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »
I'll keep your family in my thoughts.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 01:47:50 AM »
So, how's the kid?

-Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Azrael256

• friend
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 11:39:12 AM »
So, how's the kid?
I was kinda wondering, too.  I know a sick little one is far more important than we are.  Just hoping everything is ok.

bountyhunter

Prayers Needed......
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 01:33:01 PM »
God bless her.  Young kids tolerate fevers a lot better than adults.  I'll bet she comes through OK.

TimH

Prayers Needed......
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 02:30:44 PM »
So, how's the kid?

She almost a year old.
Prayers sent!
How is she today?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 05:46:50 PM »
Praying for her & the whole family....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 09:24:37 PM »
So. The infection turned out to be staph(sp?), and particularly nasty. It's one of those antibiotic-resistant strains you hear about on the news. There's only one effective medicine for it at her age, and she has to have it via IV every six hours. So, she has to stay in the hospital. At least 2 more days, and maybe up to 10 days, the doc said.
On a positive note, she's back to her old self. The downside to this is,she's going stir crazy. She's been walking well for about 2 months now, and running for the last month. Now she's stuck in a 10x14 room. We've been walking her up and down the corridors, but it doesn't cut it. The staff has also been having trouble keeping her IVs in, since she's so active.
I'm really worried that the time in the hospital is going to slow her development. There just isn't a way to get her the level of mental stimulation she needs while she's in there. Sad
Hi.

Prayers Needed......
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 02:14:27 AM »
She's in my thoughts.......best of luck to y'all.

bountyhunter

Prayers Needed......
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 11:54:41 AM »
"The downside to this is she's going stir crazy."

Nope. that's the upside because it means the medicine is knocking down the infection.  If it wasn't effective against that strain, she wouldn't be responding so well.

She'll be home soon.

grampster

• friend
Prayers Needed......
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 12:01:58 PM »
and she'll have little long term memory of it, other that it will be a dream state thing.  I got pinged off by a car when I was 5.  still have memories but thay are like stories I might have once read.  Not bad at all.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

benEzra

Prayers Needed......
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 02:52:30 PM »
I'm really worried that the time in the hospital is going to slow her development. There just isn't a way to get her the level of mental stimulation she needs while she's in there.
Don't worry.  My 6-year-old son has been hospitalized a LOT, including two open-heart surgeries and seven angioplasties to correct a congenital heart defect, and had one stint at Boston Children's that lasted 6 1/2 weeks last January.  And his time in the hospital has not set him back in the slightest.  Kids are remarkably resilient.  As long as one or both of you can be there for her and give her as much normalcy as possible, she'll be OK.

Her restlessness may also be her way of dealing with the unfamiliar/scary situation emotionally.  But like someone else said, it's a good sign--if she were not recovering, she wouldn't have the energy to do anything but lie there.  Just keep her away from those "biohazard" containers (my son thought the red trash cans were SO interesting...)

Is she old enough to be interested in videos and such?  You might be able to borrow one of those portable DVD players from a friend, or play some favorites from home on the hospital set if it has a VCR (lots do).  We occasionally brought a CD player and some small speakers to play familiar music for him as well.