Author Topic: Custodian for gold IRA?  (Read 684 times)

Hutch

• friend
Custodian for gold IRA?
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:52:16 AM »
My (limited) understanding of how one can buy physical gold and silver as part of the IRA requires that the loot be kept by a custodian.  If any of the brethren (or sistern) have chosen to do this, whom have you selected to actually hold the treasure?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

PGroenewold

Re: Custodian for gold IRA?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
I use Goldstar Trust Company, formerly Church Trust. I think the IRA custodial fee is around $100/year with another $100/year for the precious metals storage fee. Just be very careful with what you buy, and with whom. Bullion-type coins are pretty transparent, as their price is a few percent above melt value. Collector-grade coins have a much higher commission, and gold will have to run quite a ways before you'll earn that back.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »
Iirc, there are limited types of coins that can be put in an IRA.  Krugerrands are not among them.  U. S. Eagles and Austrian Philharmonics  are among the short list.  Numismatics are right out.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

PGroenewold

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »
You are correct that there are limited choices for a physical gold IRA. There are fancier grades of US Eagles that sell at a steep premium to the bullion-grade coins. It's been years since I opened this account, so I don't remember all the details. I do remember the broker recommending investment-grade Eagles for part of my portfolio, and I cannot echo that advice. Too much commission for him; too slow a return for the investor.

I don't know your investing background, but what I've found is that physical gold is not a good investment for the worrier. It can be pretty volatile, and if you're the kind of person who obsessively checks the DJIA ticker every few minutes, gold might give you heartburn. Another point: since it's in a custodial account, it may take at least a few days to liquidate or adjust your account. If gold is in a bubble and it bursts, you could lose thousands before you're able to close your position.

On the other hand, the Federal Reserve can't print gold, and I don't believe that the economic problems in the US and the EU are going to blow over any time soon. I think gold has a ways to run yet, but if I'm wrong then I'll get an expensive lesson. Won't be the first or the last...