Author Topic: G*d's blog  (Read 6187 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
G*d's blog
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:38:32 AM »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: G*d's blog
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:36 AM »
Like.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
THAT was great!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:48:03 PM »
That would give my MIL a full-blown, Bill-Cosby-skull-split-fire-from-the-eye-sockets conniption.

Love it.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
lol luvd dinasaur post
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:58:07 PM »
Semi-tangent: can somebody explain the asterisk bit for me?  I've never understood the significance.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:01:59 AM »
I believe it's a Jewish tradition to avoid writing the name of God on a piece of paper that might be discarded later. I think, for a more permanent work, like when publishing a copy of the Bible, they write the full name/word.

The Rabbi explained when he used to hang out here, and I think he said that on electronic formats, it's not an issue.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:06:01 AM »
I was wondering about that too, but didn't want to say that because I didn't want to sound uncool and not in the know.

Oh wait.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:21:05 AM »
I believe it's a Jewish tradition to avoid writing the name of God on a piece of paper that might be discarded later. I think, for a more permanent work, like when publishing a copy of the Bible, they write the full name/word.

The Rabbi explained when he used to hang out here, and I think he said that on electronic formats, it's not an issue.

How interesting.  Thanks!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 01:08:52 AM »
Something more authoritative:

Writing the Name of God

Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.

It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of God applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form, and recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type God's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with God's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God." In addition, the number 15, which would ordinarily be written in Hebrew as Yod-Hei (10-5), is normally written as Teit-Vav (9-6), because Yod-Hei is a Name. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about using letters as numerals.

http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 07:56:01 AM »
I usually use "-" or "*" just to respect the rights of others who might take offense.  I picked up that habit from reading JPFO.org alerts.  I will occasionally use "gawd," on the theory that it's like "goodbye," to which nobody takes offense, even though it's original meaning is "G-d be with ye."  Or so I recollect.

Thanks for the research, fistful.

recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type God's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with God's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form.

Not to be lawyerly, but I wonder if copying to a CD constitutes a "permanent form?"

I guess, in my case, I'm going to continue using "*" and "-" just out of respect.

Terry, 230RN

REF:

http://jpfo.org/

jpfo= "Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership"

No, I'm not Jewish.  But I'm a firearms owner.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:11:51 AM by 230RN »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
And just to clear the air further, I put the asterisk i there because of a concern that someone would be offended if I included the "o".  I actually did several cuts and pastes before deciding on the final product.  Thank goodness it was only electrons I was moving about or I'd probably end up gong to hell (see, I did not avoid that one with asterisks or 11s, nor did I capitalize it) for something meaningful - as opposed to all the trivial reasons I'm headed there anyhow.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:52:14 PM »
The lemon tree: very pretty. The lemon flower: sweet. But the fruit of the poor lemon? Impossible to eat. Is this a bug or a feature?

Gotta luv it. Who besides me recognizes the source?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »
That reminds me of the reasons you're not supposed to rename a boat - it confuses Poseidon and may anger him into pulling under an unrecognized vessel.

There are a number of rituals however that include silver coins, bottles of bubbly, and a drydock-relaunch ceremony all designed to wake Poseidon and alert him to the name change - It all might just be a bunch of ancient hooey, but I'm not about to risk it.

OP link =  lolz.
7-11 was a part time job.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 07:01:33 AM »
Gotta luv it. Who besides me recognizes the source?

I do!  I do!  But whose version do you prefer - Trini or Harry?

stay safe.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »
H'ist up the John B. sail.  Me wanna go home.

Can't think of who whom...

What group recorded that one?

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »
That reminds me of the reasons you're not supposed to rename a boat - it confuses Poseidon and may anger him into pulling under an unrecognized vessel.

There are a number of rituals however that include silver coins, bottles of bubbly, and a drydock-relaunch ceremony all designed to wake Poseidon and alert him to the name change - It all might just be a bunch of ancient hooey, but I'm not about to risk it.

OP link =  lolz.

Also, carving the old name into the keel (so Poseidon and/or Neptune recognizes it), sailing it backward (never understood that one), and/or throwing a shot of whiskey over the stern to appease the Gods of the deep. Or should I say "G*ds" of the deep. 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »
Also, carving the old name into the keel (so Poseidon and/or Neptune recognizes it), sailing it backward (never understood that one), and/or throwing a shot of whiskey over the stern to appease the Gods of the deep. Or should I say "G*ds" of the deep. 

Pretty sure Jews won't be offended by using the names of pan-theistic gods. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
H'ist up the John B. sail.  Me wanna go home.

The Beach Boys cover is probably the most famous.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloop_John_B

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
The Beach Boys cover is probably the most famous.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloop_John_B

And I sang Trini Lopez aloud as I walked around the orifice this am.
7-11 was a part time job.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »
I do!  I do!  But whose version do you prefer - Trini or Harry?

PP&M

Quote from: 230RN
H'ist up the John B. sail.  Me wanna go home.

The Kingston Trio, I believe.

If, not, then Harry Bellafonte
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:01 PM »
Kingston Trio is what I thought, later on.  Thanks.  Every time I whistle it, I end up breaking into the melody from "Tom Dooley."  Structures are similar, I guess.

Mrs. Smith, those are interesting stories about P*siedon and N*ptune.

Well, dang somebody had to do it.

<runs and hides and omits sig>
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:59:37 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 12:17:59 AM »
Was that T**ry who just said that?

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
T*rry and MrsSm*th are going to hell.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »
You bring the beer.  I'll bring the cards and chips --potato and poker.

And it's h*ll.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:00:42 AM by 230RN »