Author Topic: a what if  (Read 8572 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: a what if
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
Park land or another's private property, no matter.  Squatting and starting fires is the wrong answer.  Or are you arguing it was the "youth's" land?  It is possible to trespass on public property, too.  Most parks have signs on them clearly stating the hours.

What hours were stated in this park? Was it in fact park land?

Where were they openly advertised?

Do you believe individuals have a right of citizen's arrest over camp fires on park land?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »
that park only allows camping with a permit.  the houses back up to the battlefield and some of the homeowners have screwed up ideas of their rights to the park. we had a hiker biker trail run down an old rail line and the locals really showed their butt over it  lucky none of em got hurt
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
Do you believe individuals have a right of citizen's arrest over camp fires on park land?

Out here in the arid West during a hot dry summer, starting a "campfire" is analogous to arson.  :mad:

But - I have no desire to get into a scuffle with anyone.  That's why I carry a sidearm  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »

No....but starting a fire during a burn ban in Texas is worthy of a sniper shot.....  [ar15]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »
not dry here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 01:11:19 AM »
Ok, starting to see the problem...

"The way it is where *I* am...". But y'all aren't realizing: this isn't where YOU are (C&SD excluded, it seems).

Whether the teen was in the wrong or not, the ADULT should have known better than to grab said teen as he did. And SHOULD feel lucky that his aggression only got him a trip to the hospital, instead of the morgue

Teen MAY have been trespassing. Adult committed battery, and attempted abduction. Period.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 07:39:07 AM »
i would never lay a hand on a kid unless i was truly intent on hurting him and felt justified to do so AND  was willing to pay for it

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
Sorry, maybe I was unclear. You are, as far as I know, the only poster who is somewhat nearby geographically...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
Sorry, maybe I was unclear. You are, as far as I know, the only poster who is somewhat nearby geographically...

"what if" for me is Montana, not Virginia
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »

Hey!  I'm in the city with the largest collection of Second Place trophies in the world.

http://www.mapquest.com/?le=t&q=Street%2BView%2BMonument%2BAvenue+Richmond%2C+VA&maptype=map&ICID=mq_localoneclick&flv=1&vs=map

Get yourself to the intersection of Monument & Lombardy Aves at the JEB Stuart statue and track westward all the way to the homage to Arthur Ashe (do try to see it from just west of it and tell me it does not look like he is about to whack those kiddies with his tennis racket).

Look here, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Avenue

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »

you were clear.
 i was just reiterating my position vis a vis touching a kid not my own.  if i wasn't justified in taking him out it would be hands off,  unless of course he looks at my daughter funny. then all bets are
kids/teens are not second class citizens  as far as some dufus trying to drag them somewhere.  i might forgive a good backhand to a mouthy kid but trying to drag one to your house is verbooten,  i mighta let the air outa that fool as a bystander ,if i was there...... and couldn't choke him out first. its quicker

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »
Since this is a va case,

The fire is of minamal concern to me. If the kids reasonably woodwise "a small bonfire" is not going to take out the woods, and if you must put it out, (and if it was my backyard I would immediatly) thats what water and fire extinguishers are for.

Approch: I would be visably armed, and have my cell phone. and annonce that kid is tresspassing (ifit was my land) and that he need to leave.
if the kid refuse I would call the cops.

Too be honest, I bet the kid would skuttle as soon as he relized the call had been made.

Now, if, when told that he was trusspassing, and that hecan't stay, he was polite, contright and apologetic, I may ask him to talk to me and offer help (call a shelter, or adult the kid trusts)

I don't see how grabbing and physically attempting to remove him is good for anybody.
To be frank, such actions are rash (and obviously) dangorous. Seems to me that homeowner was all brawn and no brain, and something of an a**hole to top it off.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
would the fact the kid was not on the mans property change folks views?  or so said the guy who google earthed the guys house   the woods are all on park property

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2011/082011/08092011/644199

Update says that they've caught him and that they're charging the kid with "Aggravated Malicious Wounding".  I bet a decent lawyer could get him off.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
depends how stupid he got on the internet

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 08:27:54 PM »
depends how stupid he got on the internet

Regardless of how stupid he might have gotten, there is enough case law in Virginia to set him free.  As previously noted, the laying on of hands when the "homeowner" was not trying to eject him from his own property is the specific scenario that established his right to self defense and being excused for using lethal force.  All he needs is to not accept a cop-out plea agreement because some public defender does not want to do their job.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
Regardless of how stupid he might have gotten, there is enough case law in Virginia to set him free.  As previously noted, the laying on of hands when the "homeowner" was not trying to eject him from his own property is the specific scenario that established his right to self defense and being excused for using lethal force.  All he needs is to not accept a cop-out plea agreement because some public defender does not want to do their job.

stay safe.

He's 17. How likely is he to know about case law like this? I doubt public school would have taught him  that.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 08:35:40 PM »
you might be surprised what you learn in public school

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 06:31:08 AM »
He's 17. How likely is he to know about case law like this? I doubt public school would have taught him  that.

He does not need to know a fracking thing about case law.  The attorney that represents him needs to know about it.

Or do you actually believe that I think people go around controlling their actions and decisions based on what they do or do not know about case law?  Or worse yet, do you believe people base their actions and decisions on their knowledge of case law?

Well, now trhat I've written that out, I will admit that some of my actions and decisions are based on my knowledge of case law.  But those are ones that are carefully considered over some significant period of time - you know, the ones I think about before doing.  Does not apply in the case of "spontaneous" acts like self defense.

stay safe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:39 AM »
My argument pertains only to one simple aspect: how I think this case is likely to end up.

I think that he's likely to be pressured into a plea agreement of some kind that will no doubt mess up his life for years to come.