Author Topic: What's piled on your bedside table to be read?  (Read 8458 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Re: What's piled on your bedside table to be read?
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »
Just started The Breath of God by Jeffrey Small.
Cumberland Island: Strong Women, Wild Horses by Charles Seabrook (about a local barrier island but I mostly bought it for the name)
Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz
Tactics of the Crescent Moon by H. John Poole
An American Sailing Story by Gary Jobson
Breathless by Dean Koontz (gotta have a light read too)
Have The Pirates of Somalia, Inside Their Hidden World, by Jay Bahadur (research for my Gulf of Aden charter business idea)
And of course, my M&P9.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 09:53:22 AM »
The Time Machine; Wells, H. G. (Herbert George)   

War and Peace; Tolstoy, Leo   

The Jungle Book; Kipling, Rudyard 

The War of the Worlds; Wells, H. G. (Herbert George)   

White Fang; London, Jack

Just got free off of Amazon to put on the Kindle.
M-4 w/ 30rd mag in wall locker less than three feet away. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
I'm going back into my Star Wars book collection to read the Yuuzhan Vong series....I couldn't stand it when it first came out; but, after ten years, I'm interested in reading it. Even went out and bought the books that I didn't have in the series. Go figure.....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
Currently waiting to be read:
The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education - Craig M. Mullaney
Paradise Lost & Paradise Regained - John Milton, Originally tried to start this and got a few pages in when I figured this book was going to require more time to read it to understand it so I put it back in the pile for when I had more time to do that.
A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
Munster Hunter International - Larry Correia
The Odyssey - Homer
Dune - Frank Herbert, read it once back in high school and liked it so I figured I would read it again.
Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code, and The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
Enemies Foreign and Domestic - Matthew Bracken
The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri
Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire - Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden

Those are just what I have here on base with me. I have a BUNCH more back home,  =D

Also just recently started reading The Iliad - Homer
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 01:58:12 PM »
I find this and "what are you reading now" threads funny....

I only have "books i'm going to read" for the day or two after a trip to a bookstore. Actually, i'm lucky when a decent pile (5 or 6) books actually lasts that long.
And since, I read novels in a sitting, i'm almost always between books if i'm not actually reading one that second.

So what i'm reading next is going to be whatever I happen to pull of the shelf.  :laugh:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 02:11:29 PM »
Well, since it's on my Kindle, the "pile" is only 1/4" high. Also I read in my reading chair, while matching a nightcap beverage to the book.

Legions of Space - Keith Laumer (in progress)
Armageddon 2419 AD - Philip Francis Nowlan
The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol - Nikolai Gogol
Visionen und Andere Phantastische Erzahlungen - Ivan Turgenev
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
Also have a Dean Koontz book I picked out of a care package that was sent to one of my guys to share.  Not sure what the name of it is but it is Koontz and something to read.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »
I've most stuff off the Kindle app on my droid phone.

I have recently finished:
* The Honor Harrington books by David Weber and the Weber/Flint collabs.
* The Belisarius series by David Drake
* The Blind Side by some dude.

On paper, I am reading:
* In Search of the Dark Ages by Michael Wood
* The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, if I can muster the credulity to take the author seriously after reading the preface & prologue.  That will be a monumental task in self-deception.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »
Also have a Dean Koontz book I picked out of a care package that was sent to one of my guys to share.  Not sure what the name of it is but it is Koontz and something to read.

Pm me your APO I've got a few books I could send ya.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 07:50:49 PM »
All in progress:
Alas Babylon
Case studies in special operations
Two Tom Clancy books
Digital signal processing
FPGA primer
Excel for scientific analysis
An introduction to grey hat hacking
Too big to fail
Culture of corruption
The art of choosing
Clean kill
The Sinclair intl catalog
I read 2-4 fiction and 3-5 nonfiction books a week (helps when you can read at high retention at 5-10 pages a minute)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 07:56:29 PM »
Pm me your APO I've got a few books I could send ya.

PM me too with your addy.  Neighbor just gave me a whole big shopping bag full again.  (First batch went to my cousin's kid over there, but since he is at 26 and a wakeup, you've got dibs.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
Weird.  One of the best nights of sleep I ever got.  I pulled out my canteen (which is curved), dropped it, laid my k-pot into the curve where the canteen lay.  Slept like the dead.   Was only about two, three hours, but it felt incredible. 

Our drill sergeants taught us that in BCT, (FLW, summer 1983.) with the old steel pots, had to put the rim just right though... 

Bryson's Walk in the Woods is a great book.  The bunkhouse is the best part.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 05:17:10 AM »
PM me too with your addy.  Neighbor just gave me a whole big shopping bag full again.  (First batch went to my cousin's kid over there, but since he is at 26 and a wakeup, you've got dibs.)

Done

birdman

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »
Done

Likewise, PM address to me as well...I have 4-500 paperbacks here and my GF has another hundred or so, and we are consolidating libraries.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »
Likewise, PM address to me as well...I have 4-500 paperbacks here and my GF has another hundred or so, and we are consolidating libraries.

Will do, but I would also suggest taking some of them to the local Blue Star Mothers chapter.  They could probably use them also.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »

Will do, but I would also suggest taking some of them to the local Blue Star Mothers chapter.  They could probably use them also.

I'll look it up, thanks!  Whatever they don't want, I'll send your way.  May be a few weeks, got all this movin' to do.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »
The Time Machine; Wells, H. G. (Herbert George)   

War and Peace; Tolstoy, Leo   

The Jungle Book; Kipling, Rudyard 

The War of the Worlds; Wells, H. G. (Herbert George)   

White Fang; London, Jack

Just got free off of Amazon to put on the Kindle.
M-4 w/ 30rd mag in wall locker less than three feet away. :laugh:
Nice selection. The Jungle Book is and excellent read. You'll notice it doesn't quite follow the Disney movie(s).  ;/

I'd save W&P for last or it'll end up being the only one you read. lol... The war parts were good but the peace parts were boooooring... lol

took me about 200 pages to get into it.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »

Bryson's Walk in the Woods is a great book.  The bunkhouse is the best part.....

A great companion to A Walk in the Woods is Reading the Forested Landscape by Tom Wessels.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
Nice selection. The Jungle Book is and excellent read. You'll notice it doesn't quite follow the Disney movie(s).  ;/

I'd save W&P for last or it'll end up being the only one you read. lol... The war parts were good but the peace parts were boooooring... lol

took me about 200 pages to get into it.  ;)

I've read all of these once or twice but it has been awhile.  Just a few I found on Amazon that are free.  After reading them I will find a few more free ones.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
Birdman - I loved Alas Babylon and it stays on my "go back to and reread" shelf, no matter how many times I've read it. Come to think of it, it's been a few years.

For any of you Irish folk out there, another of my "read it too many times to count and will likely read it again" books is The Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llewellyn. Historical fiction but based as much in fact as she was able to dig up and an epic story. Oh, yeah, good bit of fighting as well.

Ben - just looked up Armageddon 2419 and have added it to my list. Sounds like a good read but let me know what you think too.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »
Current: James Holland's "The Battle of Britain; Five Months That Changed History"

On deck: David Kenik's "Armed Response" and John S. Farnam's  "The Farnam Method of Defensive Shotgun and Rifle Shooting"
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
Just "bought" the Kindle version of Armageddon 2419.  It was free since it is in the public domain.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 03:06:59 PM »
Have not caved to a kindle yet though suspect will be forced to soon.
But let me know what you think of it Wmenorr.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Ben - just looked up Armageddon 2419 and have added it to my list. Sounds like a good read but let me know what you think too.

I will. I should finish up the Laumer book today and will probably start reading it tomorrow (unless a printer falls on me or something). For when you finally end your independent and outlandish ways and get a Kindle, I found Armegeddon 2419 on:

http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

Which also has a lot of other stuff that I think would be up your alley.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »
Dante "Paradisio" and a bunch of survival & edible plant books, mostly by Angier.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."