Author Topic: How long have banks been taking fingerprints?  (Read 7083 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
How long have banks been taking fingerprints?
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:12:36 PM »
As a check I received was from Bank of America I decided to cash it there to save the hassle of the hold and risk of expense if it bounced.

They required a photocopy of my driver's license for their own records and my thumbprint atop the check.  I asked if this was really required and if there was any alternative, bank manager who was handy said no.  Having closed an account with them a few weeks back when they opened a company in my name without my consent, I figured they already had all my info so I went along [and also smudged the print].  Asking for a wipe, was told the thumbprint ink rubs off...

How widespread is this? 

And just for my own comment on the matter, ain't it lovely how big businesses believe their 'Policies' trump the actual law?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: How long have banks been taking fingerprints?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »
been around for years
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
And just for my own comment on the matter, ain't it lovely how big businesses believe their 'Policies' trump the actual law?

Does it?

If so, why don't I write you a check from my bank of america account, have you document/record their refusal to honor the check without this BS, then I'll sue em?   >:D

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »
What "actual law" is violated by requiring a print to cash checks?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »
What "actual law" is violated by requiring a print to cash checks?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negotiable_Instrument#In_the_United_States

Checks, be their definition at law, require no act for conversion to cash beyond their presentation.  Showing your ID is one thing, prudent verification of the presenter, but fingerprints and ID photocopies?  I do believe that crosses the line, constituting additional acts. 

Not that I will do anything about it beyond write a bounced check clause into my agreements and use my own darn bank in the future. 

Oh, and grumble about it on the internet.   :P
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »

This is why I use a good credit union and a semi small local bank chain. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
Many truck stops began demanding thumb prints years ago, say doing so dramatically reduced fraud.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:23 PM »
No thumbprinting with Chase.  And none at BB&T (previous bank).  BofA isn't really a bank, but a collection of bad business practices propped up with government money.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »
How widespread is this? 

First I've heard of it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:53:33 PM »
No thumbprinting with Chase.  And none at BB&T (previous bank).  BofA isn't really a bank, but a collection of bad business practices propped up with government money.

bb&t thumbprinted me on wed.

the reason they print is to provide solid evidence for fraud persecution. otherwise the landshark requires the teller to positively id the person who wrote the check. if they can't the crook walked
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »
Key Bank requires it.  IIRC it has been around since at least late 90's early 00's.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
bb&t thumbprinted me on wed.

the reason they print is to provide solid evidence for fraud persecution. otherwise the landshark requires the teller to positively id the person who wrote the check. if they can't the crook walked

Cashing a check from your account or one written to you?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:02:35 PM »
I can tell you for a fact if you make a large, loud fuss in BoA, demeand to speak to a manager, and loudly question weather they have the funds to cover the accounts they hold, BoA will cash one of their checks for $300 without a thumbprint.  I had to show ID, but that's it.  It did take me about an hour though.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:08:26 PM »
Cashing a check from your account or one written to you?
written to me   
and dd?  i charged the homeowner the extra 10 bucks and told him why.  he was "displeased " to find that his check was not honored in the way he expected it to be   and did not like paying extra.  hes 75 and was gonna express his displeasure personally

i have a clause in my contracts refusing some banks checks altogether

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »
Someone walking in off the street who does not have an account at the bank but is cashing a check drawn on an account at that bank can expect this at a lot of major branches going back at least a few years.  The new thing that some of them are doing is trying to asses a fee as well.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
my dad wrote me a check for 6500 bucks  chevy chase made me jump through silly hoops to cash it.  we went together the next day to close out several accounts and move enough loot that i wouda been afraid to carry it armed. and made sure to let management at all levels know why. he lives in a senior community and we spread the word  started a local "run on the bank"  got a series of real apologetic letters and calls.  i never said fu to so many people in a row outside a prison

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »
Really want to get some scrutiny from a bank?
Deposit a $30K personal check into your checking account.
It was kind of fun.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »
try cashing a 9 k check drawn on a jail acct with no id.
i hada go back across the street get a deputy from the prc to come with me and bring my paperwork. i think the teller was a lil weirded out. i tried to hit on her got shot down hard

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 03:22:48 AM »
Put a 60K check in my local bank, no problems. I left BoA, or at least the part that was Nations Bank about 15 years ago. So I'm a kid with about 30K in CDs with your bank but now you're going to(when previously didn't) start charging me $5 for cashier's checks and hitting me with min balance fees in my checking. Now I have no money, but dealt with CUs and local banks ever since. One downside. When you deal with a two branch bank and the power is out at home, good luck getting money out of an ATM if you are elsewhere. I assume their servers are at their main branch.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »
written to me   
and dd?  i charged the homeowner the extra 10 bucks and told him why.  he was "displeased " to find that his check was not honored in the way he expected it to be   and did not like paying extra.  hes 75 and was gonna express his displeasure personally

Written to you and deposited into your account, or just cashing it (no account at the bank)?
Just curious.  I had BB&T but never cashed any big checks. 
JD

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 09:20:18 AM »
just cashing it. its a regular routine at some banks i think they see me coming and draw straws to see who gets me.  unless theres a new guy they can shaft. i expect a hassle on large checks but banks are beyond retarded. when i tried to cash a check from pnc mortgage to me and they tried to get 10 bucks for cashing a 70 dollar check i was most impolite.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:56 AM »
Really want to get some scrutiny from a bank?
Deposit a $30K personal check into your checking account.
It was kind of fun.

How so?  I've done that a couple of times over the years with no hassle at Wells Fargo. They take their sweet time clearing it for the funds to be available, but the deposits themselves were entirely routine.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
just cashing it. its a regular routine at some banks i think they see me coming and draw straws to see who gets me.  unless theres a new guy they can shaft. i expect a hassle on large checks but banks are beyond retarded. when i tried to cash a check from pnc mortgage to me and they tried to get 10 bucks for cashing a 70 dollar check i was most impolite.

I would be, too.
I had a $30 check I left for the yard guys go missing on a rainy day when they didn't show up.  Called to get it cancelled.  The fee? $29.  I lost my ever loving mind on the person on the phone.
(In the end, the yard guy made his rounds checking the wetness of our yards, and collected his check, and cut the grass the next day  :facepalm:)
JD

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »
on big checks i call 24 hours or more ahead to make sure they have the cash  then i really get bent when they jerk me around. i've been known to bring the client into it. they love being told the bank just refused to cash their check.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »
written to me   

I have an old-timer WWII veteran still alive a few houses down.  He's pretty much the walking dead, what with multiple heart attacks & heart surgeries, but still mobile.  Dude does not give a good gawd damn what others think of him.  I have, in the past, spoken to him about small & local outrages.  Sometimes, he'll get all riled up and he has the (discretionary) time to make folks' shady business a living Hell.

I almost felt bad for the perpetrators, 'cause it was like tossing a grenade into the room and closing the door.  But, I figure everyone's got to have a hobby.  And I love hearing my neighbor tell me the results of his fragging.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton