Author Topic: C&SD will be miffed - GPal cleared  (Read 2204 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
C&SD will be miffed - GPal cleared
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?93986-Message-about-GPal-from-County-of-Sonoma-DA&p=1593257#post1593257

The DA says that Canon was merely inept and since the credit card companies ended up with all the money he's not a crook.

But it was fun while it played out.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: C&SD will be miffed - GPal cleared
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »
He's still on the hook in a handful to a dozen-odd states for running wire-transfer and payment processing operations without the proper licensing/approvals. And God only knows what kind of trouble he may still be in with the fed.gov over this all.

So in reality, this is just one local fraud case filed against him. The Gpal saga is far from over.

And of course, this is just the criminal side of the issue. It in no way exonerates him in terms of civil action over gross negligence.

And it's hard not to agree with the DA in that the whole mess is just due to incompetence, not malfeasance. Despite all the shady stuff, and how he presented the appearance of this well-heeled venture capitalist, Ben stood to make much more money if Gpal took off, rather than just "taking the money and running", which he didn't even do, another bank/credit-card seized Gpal's assets from some other debts owed prior, because Ben didn't firewall Gpal properly in terms of it's incorporation or financials.

He's still scum, just not the deliberate thieving kind. More of the flim-flam try to juggle everyone else's money until the profits roll in kind of scum.
I promise not to duck.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
C&SD will be miffed - GPal cleared

[popcorn]

And I hardly ever eat popcorn. This could be speshul.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »

He's still scum, just not the deliberate thieving kind. More of the flim-flam try to juggle everyone else's money until the profits roll in kind of scum.

I tend to agree.  It looks like he was way out of his depth on this project and other people got screwed as a result. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »
I think the whole thing may have been a ruse to satisfy the default judgments against him from credit card companies.  What better way than to put a bunch of Other People's Money in a bank account set up as a sole proprietorship and wait for AMEX to find it and seize it.  Only then do you file for incorporation.  Everything after that was smoke and mirrors.

"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:55 PM »
I think the whole thing may have been a ruse to satisfy the default judgments against him from credit card companies.  What better way than to put a bunch of Other People's Money in a bank account set up as a sole proprietorship and wait for AMEX to find it and seize it.  Only then do you file for incorporation.  Everything after that was smoke and mirrors.

A good point, however those judgment amounts weren't nearly as big as even a reasonable success with Gpal would have made Ben, nor even as much wealth as he continually presented himself as having.

Honestly, I'm more pissed his incompetence and scamming deep-sixed something the online gun community really needed, and now puts a huge stain on anyone else trying to set such a system up, more than I am about the individual losses people suffered. Of course, anyone who actually lost anything, I more than understand their take on it.
I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:12:36 PM »
screwing up is one of those things.  continuing to rope folks in to prop up your house of cards is where the ethical issues begin.  go to cast boolits and see what the named employee has to say

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=89122&highlight=gpal&page=231

both about this and the earlier shenanigans

he duped many folks into putting their reps on the line backing and defending him way past any hope of recovery
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »
A good point, however those judgment amounts weren't nearly as big as even a reasonable success with Gpal would have made Ben, nor even as much wealth as he continually presented himself as having.

Honestly, I'm more pissed his incompetence and scamming deep-sixed something the online gun community really needed, and now puts a huge stain on anyone else trying to set such a system up, more than I am about the individual losses people suffered. Of course, anyone who actually lost anything, I more than understand their take on it.

Doesn't Amazon offer a paypal-like service, with no anti gun bs attached?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
Doesn't Amazon offer a paypal-like service, with no anti gun bs attached?

Hmmm.... I'll have to look into that.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »
I suspect CSD isn't the only one.

I am all for caveat emptor, but Gpal pushed that past the breaking point.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
By the way.

Dwolla is the answer to the problem GPal was originally trying to solve.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage