Author Topic: This asian carp "fishing" video gives me an idea...  (Read 2552 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: This asian carp "fishing" video gives me an idea...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »
Unless you have a system for retrieving the busted carp, all you are doing is feeding the rest of them.

Wait a sec!  Hmm.  Perpetual carp?

This might work well after all.

How much of a percentage would an investment of, say, $25,000, buy me?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »
Do carp eat dead fish?  I was thinking they mostly ate vegetation.  I guess the likely eat anything.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
O.K. Expansion of idea

1) "Green" ammunition manufactory that sells ammo that shooters are required to use at your range.

2) Shooting range that you charge to use like a golf course driving range.

3) Carp jump noise inducing motor manufactory where you manufacture the motors that make your carp jump and sell extras to state and fed agencies that are responsible for eradicating invasive species at Obama dollars/jobs ratio of profit/cost.

4) Skimmer net downstream to collect dead carp and sell to pet food and fertilizer factories.

5) Millions of dollars annually in fed grants for your "green initiative"

p.s. (tip of the hat to Ben), when the inevitable Eagle or other fishing endangered species type bird or three gets killed flying into into our carp shooting zone, we'll get a free pass because of how "green" we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/16/energy-in-america-dead-birds-unintended-consequence-wind-power-development/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:17:41 PM by Stand_watie »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
Unless you have a system for retrieving the busted carp, all you are doing is feeding the rest of them.

Silver carp (the jumpers)  is a filter feeder.

Do carp eat dead fish?  I was thinking they mostly ate vegetation.  I guess the likely eat anything.

Common carp, I've had those eat worms, minnows, and even hit a lure before.  Not sure if they scavange from the dead.  I've seen catfish eating off the corpse of other dead fish, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:05:31 AM »

Asian crap eat plankton which is why they take over an ecosystem.  They grow fast and get large so they simply starve out the smaller fish which in turn starves out the omnivores.

Supposedly their diet makes them actually pretty tasty unlike other carp that feed off the bottom where algae and such grow.  The taste is something like a cross between crab and scallops I've read. Speaking of that, I hope MicroBalog weighs in here.  I hear it's a delicacy in Isreal so he's probably more likely than anybody else I know to have eaten it.

Which, oddly enough, Israeli's like of the fish is sorta the reason we've got a potential problem with them in the Great Lakes.  A farm in Illinois was making money raising the buggers in ponds to sell to the Israeli market.  The Mississippi river flooded, swept some of the fish into the wild, and now there are signs that they might be in Lake Michigan around the Chicago area as we're seeing their DNA there.  I consider it an odd occurrence of events which amuses me, for reasons I can't quite pin-point, but I also entertain the notion that somewhere out  there some idiot is blaming the whole thing on "the Joooooos!"  And by "some idiot" I mean Mel Gibson. 

I digress.  Back to the main topic I fully support the notion of smacking the buggers with shotguns if they ever take hold here.  I've been rolling load ideas around in my head and I think something like 1/4oz #12 shot buffered with some kind of inert powder (coffee creamer?) to fill the rest of a 7/8oz wad would do the trick. 

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:56 AM »
I've been rolling load ideas around in my head and I think something like 1/4oz #12 shot buffered with some kind of inert powder (coffee creamer?) to fill the rest of a 7/8oz wad would do the trick. 

Looking for a particularly flashy load?  That stuff's rather flamable.
Formerly sumpnz

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:29:33 AM »
Then use half-and-half!  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:57:16 AM »

Ya gotta cook em before  you eat em...

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:11:39 AM »
no salt and pepper shot with a grated lemon peel buffer?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2