Author Topic: Ladies and Gentlemen, The Next Edsel !!!!  (Read 17043 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Next Edsel !!!!
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/is-chevy-volt-running-out-of-juice-.html

Both the Leaf and Volt, overpriced compared to dead-dinosaur-only powered cars,1 so people are doing the math and buying the non-green cars.

Volt is capable of clocking more than 35 miles on battery power alone.

Still can't get over that range limiting hump yet.   Shocking.

Oh, and the Market Works.  

1)  Yes, I know that for the most part the electricity to recharge the batteries comes from mostly coal fired plants.  However, there are Nuke plants and some other 'alternative' sources that could generate the magic juice to make it go.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, The Next Edsel !!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »
I feel sorry for all the people hired in the new battery plants.  In 5 years they'll all be out of a job.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
The fail is magnificent.

Still can't get over that range limiting hump yet.   Shocking.

A 400lb battery seems to have the same energy storage as 1 gallon of gasoline (or even less if you consider that inefficiencies of a gasoline engine).  :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »
But...but...but wasn't the Volt suppose to bring GM back to prominence?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »
But...but...but wasn't the Volt suppose to bring GM back to prominence?
If only it had a unicorn hood ornament...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »
Given the amount of energy we get from coal, I'll just re-use the comment I made when once asked if I would buy a tesla:
If I wanted a car that had a range of 200 miles, accelerated that fast, and had that size carbon footprint, I'd supercharge a CTS-V and take the cats off.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
CTS-V comes supercharged now.  It'd be more fun to slap a blower on the Raptor.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
In 1982, my ex-wife and I bought a 1982 Honda Civic 1300 FE (the "FE" was for "Fuel Efficient" or "Fuel Economy"). It was a 2-door hatchback. It had plenty of room for two adults, the rear seat was usable for real people (other than giants), the driver's seat allowed me, at 6'-2" tall, to drive comfortably on extended trips, it had sufficient luggage space for us to go on vacations -- and it produced an honest 40 MPG highway and 30 MPG in normal driving (for us, a mix of urban and suburban commuting).

And they expect me to get excited about a lump that only goes 25 miles on battery before defaulting to carbon-fuel propulsion at WORSE mileage than my Honda delivered 29 years ago? I ... don't ... think ... so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
Hawk, to be fair standards of safety, acceleration, and comfort have changed quite a bit in the last 29 years.  Even if you could convince people to by that civic now with manual windows, am/fm stereo, no sound deadening and 1960's (at best) suspension, it would be illegal to sell it as it doesn't meet mandatory fed.gov safety standards.  Or emissions for that matter.

All that stuff weighs something, and it takes more power to move it all.  And even more power to move it in a fashion that is acceptable to today's car buying public.

Comparing econo boxes from 30 years ago to today's econo boxes is apples to oranges.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
In 1982, my ex-wife and I bought a 1982 Honda Civic 1300 FE (the "FE" was for "Fuel Efficient" or "Fuel Economy"). It was a 2-door hatchback. It had plenty of room for two adults, the rear seat was usable for real people (other than giants), the driver's seat allowed me, at 6'-2" tall, to drive comfortably on extended trips, it had sufficient luggage space for us to go on vacations -- and it produced an honest 40 MPG highway and 30 MPG in normal driving (for us, a mix of urban and suburban commuting).

And they expect me to get excited about a lump that only goes 25 miles on battery before defaulting to carbon-fuel propulsion at WORSE mileage than my Honda delivered 29 years ago? I ... don't ... think ... so.

That's is something I don't understand. In 1999 we traded in my wife's '95 Saturn SL1. It had 160,000 on it but it was still a good running car. It got 41 mpg the week we traded it in. I still kick my self for not keeping it and just buying the other car.

GM got rid of Saturn but has nothing with the room and mpg that Saturn used to.

And that is not apples to oranges.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 11:03:17 PM »
It doesn't make sense to me to use a battery powered car to save energy. Unless I'm very mistaken (a very real possibility), it requires more energy to create the power stored in the battery than the amount of energy that the battery can deliver. So, the electric car is always going to be a net energy loss and, if the electricity produced for the purpose of charging the cars comes from coal or oil or nuclear, nothing has changed.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »
It doesn't make sense to me to use a battery powered car to save energy. Unless I'm very mistaken (a very real possibility), it requires more energy to create the power stored in the battery than the amount of energy that the battery can deliver. So, the electric car is always going to be a net energy loss and, if the electricity produced for the purpose of charging the cars comes from coal or oil or nuclear, nothing has changed.

DINGDINGDING  We have a WINNER !!!!

Electric cars are nowhere near as energy efficient as liquid-dinosaur powered vehicles.  Even cornsqueezins' power vehicles are energy inefficient.   And will continue to be so until the market determines otherwise.  But the market is perverted by .gov interference.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 11:25:13 PM »

I think we talked about it here when birdman first joined our merry little troupe here.... the thermal wastes involved in battery recharge.  The slower the charge the more efficient the transfer, but we talked about it in terms of a 5-10 minute electrical "fill up" service station and the massive cooling infrastructure (and the power needs of that cooling infrastructure).  I believe he did the math in terms of how many gallons of water would boil from the BTU's generated during that power transfer.

Yup.  Electric sux.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »

The "Volt" is "running out of juice?"

I'm shocked.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :angel: [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »
It's a passing fad.

Want good fuel mileage?  Start putting small diesels in lightweight (aluminum?) cars and motorcycles.

But oh no, we can't do that!  Because.... sulphur... something....

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »
My first car was a 1974 Dodge Colt (i'd already owned 2 motorcycles by then). I could get 35 mpg out of that car pretty regularly. It was, for what it was, a pretty solid little econo-box.  I dated my wife in it (the back seat was surprisingly roomy). It saw both coasts and the Gulf of Mexico while I owned it and when we got married we loaded everything we owned in it and drove it to California.
They could still build cars like that today and sell them for a price a working man could afford to pay.
It wouldn't have to have 38 way adjustable heated corrrrinthian leather lumbar massaging happy ending seats, it wouldn't have to have an entertainment system to rival the sound system at Carnegie hall nor would it need GPS, Onstar, Offstar SirusXM radio, DISH network, Or WiFi hotspot capability.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 11:53:31 PM »
A week ago I went on a road trip to Flagstaff.

It's a passing fad.

Want good fuel mileage?  Start putting small diesels in lightweight (aluminum?) cars and motorcycles.

But oh no, we can't do that!  Because.... sulphur... something....

A friend that came with my little group had a 2001 VW Jetta TDI.  It was customized a bit, but it got 55 miles per gallon out of that little turbo-diesel.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 01:47:45 AM »
The rest of the world has realized the goodness that is small displacement turbo-diesels.  Why we can't get them here I'll never really understand. 

Actually I do understand why (difference in emissions standards between Otto and Diesel cycles, higher taxes on diesel, prejudice over old smelly diesels, etc).  I just think the reasoning behind it all is bunk.
Formerly sumpnz

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 03:10:30 AM »
Given the amount of energy we get from coal, I'll just re-use the comment I made when once asked if I would buy a tesla:
If I wanted a car that had a range of 200 miles, accelerated that fast, and had that size carbon footprint, I'd supercharge a CTS-V and take the cats off.

Ouch.   :laugh:

Yeah, electric makes sense, as long as you don't actually THINK about it. :facepalm:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
Maybe they should have named it the Ohm.

I keep saying this and saying it:  "So much of this greenie stuff is like pushing in on a kid's party balloon.  You push in here, and it comes out there."

What about the energy costs of building all those batteries and transporting them around and...

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:21:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
But...but...but wasn't the Volt bailout suppose to bring GM back to prominence?

Fixed it for you.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »
Maybe they should have named it the Ohm.

Be very popular with the Buddhist crowd.
--Lysander Spooner

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
DINGDINGDING  We have a WINNER !!!!

Electric cars are nowhere near as energy efficient as liquid-dinosaur powered vehicles

I find that difficult to believe.  In a perfect world you could get about 35% efficiency out of a steel internal combustion engine.  In reality it's lower than that.

There's no way they're using electric motors that burn off more than 65% of their input energy as waste heat.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
I find that difficult to believe.  In a perfect world you could get about 35% efficiency out of a steel internal combustion engine.  In reality it's lower than that.

There's no way they're using electric motors that burn off more than 65% of their input energy as waste heat.

While operating.

But... how much waste heat during charging?  The faster the charge, the greater the heat generated.  Too slow of a charge, and you can't use your unicorn car.
--Lysander Spooner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
So it's not selling?

At over $40k, it's still an expensive little Chevy even WITH the government rebate.

Duh.  :facepalm:

(Just wait a couple of years until today's buyers find out how low the resale value is.  [popcorn]  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain