Author Topic: Hold on!!!!!!!  (Read 12177 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Hold on!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
Seen a report on FoxNews where the Washington Monument maybe tilting.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
Seen a report on FoxNews where the Washington Monument maybe tilting.

Maybe old George is turning over in his grave?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 04:14:50 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
Dude judging by the news coverage you'd think the entire eastern seaboard had been flattened! :facepalm:

Where's Liz.?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:20 PM »
the last time I was in NYC I told an ex friend of mine that he was asking for trouble by having incredibly expensive hand blown glass art on rickety shelves made only of cinder blocks & planks, I'm sure he's looking at 20 grand easy in damage.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »
Standard & Poor's has downgraded the earthquake to a 2.5.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »

Adjusted for inflation, it's an 8.7.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »
better to be lucky than good.  1 minute before the quake i was putting gutter guards on a three story house. was barely down when the noise started, was only a 5/12 roof so i probably woulda been ok but i would not have liked it much
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 06:08:35 PM »
better to be lucky than good.  1 minute before the quake i was putting gutter guards on a three story house. was barely down when the noise started, was only a 5/12 roof so i probably woulda been ok but i would not have liked it much

Makes my knees hurt just reading that  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »
at least it was just gutter guards.and the homeowner is happy.  i was 1/4 the price of the other bidder 1/7th the price of gutter helmet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »
The eastern seaboard needs to forget about that little shaker, right quick like.  More serious businesses is heading their way than some broken shelves at the supermarket in some tiny ass town in VA....

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »
Just heard that a friend here in the Richmond metro area had her chimmney fall into her kitchen, causing the gas water heater to explode.  Not enough details to know if she's just in need of a new addition or a whole new house.

BTW - the news also is that regular homeowners' insurance treats earthquakes like other Acts of God and you need a specific rider to cover them.  She did not have the rider. 

It may not be too late to buy flood insurance for your property.  The Cone of Uncertainty for Irene is starting to make me a bit uneasy - not so much for the track as for the intensity.  I'm pretty much out of the major flooding areas, and my preps are good, but when Hugo came by the local (neighborhood) roads were pretty nigh impassable for a day or three due to all the creeks that got too big too fast and moved the bridges over a mite.  I'm on major roads next to the Interstate and unless a few of the low spots get wet again I should be able to move about OK.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
IIRc, Flood Insurance has a 30 day wait before coverage takes effect.  That's specifically so you don't buy it a day or week before the big flood/hurricane, take the payout, and then drop the coverage.

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/choose_your_policy/understanding_the_basics.jsp

And yep, unless you have the earthquake rider on your homeowners, you are SOL when the Ancient Ones get restless.  Those rates vary dramatically based on where you live.  (I think my coverage is like $5 a year here in the Midwest, simply because I think USAA is betting that world will end when the New Madrid (aka Fistful's) Fault does the big one, it will cause Yellowstone to go all Super Volcano and destroy all life east of the Rockies.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:28:30 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »
As the closet APS member to the epicenter, I was driving towards scottsville when it happened and....

I didn't feel a damn thing and didn't even know about it until I got to buckingham and ej asked what I thought about the earthquake...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:04:46 PM by bluestarlizzard »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
It shook NFCU pretty hard.
I felt the floor tremble for a few seconds just before, "Is that normal?"
It felt like a really imbalanced washing machine was going nuts in the next room.
Looked around at co-workers and they were goofing off and shooting the breeze like normal, so I shrugged it off and went back to looking at envelopes for.
After another two seconds of that, I thought, "No way this is normal."
And as soon as that popped in my head everything went nuts, lights were flickering and swinging around, mail was flying everywhere, but it only lasted about 5 seconds.
By the time everyone else realized it was an earthquake it was over.
Was pretty good times.
BSL:  I think it's because you were driving.  Potato girl was out for lunch when it hit, and when she finished her run on her machine I noticed her paperwork said "2:00 emergency drill," so apparently she didn't notice it either.  I chuckled and wrote "lol earthquake" underneath of it as a correction.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »
I feel so left out....   :'(

I think maybe I was on the bridge and thats why I didn't feel it maybe...

ej said it was about three minutes before I pulled in which is about the bridge I think.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:01 PM »
I'm on orders here in Ft. Eustis. (Hampton Roads area)  My class was in a Shipboard Damage Control simulator when it hit.  It was pretty funny, the whole thing shook pretty well due to the free surface of the armpit deep water (we weren't controlling damage very well) and everyone pretty much simultaneously went "WTH?".  I grew up in AK so my first reaction was more like "Huh, small to med. earthquake."  Then I noticed the panic in my classmates.

I'm also more concerned with Irene then with the 'quake.  all my hurricane prep stuff is in FL and this base is hosed if it hits here.  Ironicly, the last time I spent any time in Ft. Eustis was '03 when I got to ride out Isabelle on an LCU-2000 just downstream of the James River Bridge.  I'm starting to think southern VA doesn't like me.  =|

Should be a fun weekend.  Maybe I'll total the rental Corrola.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
As the closet APS member to the epicenter, I was driving towards scottsville when it happened and....

I didn't feel a damn thing and didn't even know about it until I got to buckingham and ej asked what I thought about the earthquake...

I'm a bit farther away than you, but my experience was about the same. I've experienced four earthquakes (that I know of) in my life -- one in Connecticut, one in San Diego (both a long time ago), and two in Chile (more recent). For this one, I was working in the office, and all of a sudden everyone was talking about the "earthquake" and asking each other, 'Did YOU feel it?"

And my answer was, "Feel what?" From the distance I was from the epicenter, a 5.8 doesn't even qualify as a tremblor, let alone an "earthquake." Heck, my wife and daughter went through the magnitude 9+ quake in Chile, and they were only a few miles inland from Concepcion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 10:34:06 PM »

Well, if you do I guess you could still drive the Corolla.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »
Last earthquake I was in was a 6.3 when I was living in Christchurch in 1994.  I was in the balcony section of the Opera house watch a production of Les Miserables.  Shook the building pretty good.  A couple days later I was taking an exam at the high school I was attending when a 5.5 aftershock hit.

Ironically that trip to NZ was interupted by the Northridge Earthquake.  That one hit just before I was supposed to head to the airport for my flight to LA to meet up with the exchange student group.  Apparently I slept through some aftershocks that night after finally arriving in LA.
Formerly sumpnz

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »

I am stealing that! I hope that's cool.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 01:02:24 AM »
I'm on orders here in Ft. Eustis. (Hampton Roads area)  My class was in a Shipboard Damage Control simulator when it hit.  It was pretty funny, the whole thing shook pretty well due to the free surface of the armpit deep water (we weren't controlling damage very well) and everyone pretty much simultaneously went "WTH?".  I grew up in AK so my first reaction was more like "Huh, small to med. earthquake."  Then I noticed the panic in my classmates.

I'm also more concerned with Irene then with the 'quake.  all my hurricane prep stuff is in FL and this base is hosed if it hits here.  Ironicly, the last time I spent any time in Ft. Eustis was '03 when I got to ride out Isabelle on an LCU-2000 just downstream of the James River Bridge.  I'm starting to think southern VA doesn't like me.  =|

Oh! Isabelle was fun! Both my parakeets died and my mom almost had her car taken out when a bunch of trees went down in their driveway.

And on another note, ej just posted that an aftershock woke him up, and despite the fact that, once again, am closest too mineral, I STILL FELT NOTHING!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 01:20:17 AM »
Amateurs. When you hit 6.7, give me a call. Until then, ho hum.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
Two things:

First, we don't normally get quakes here in Virginia (at least not identifiable ones).  At least not of this magnitude.  This is only the 2nd quake I've ever experienced and the first one that was more than a quick "bang" and done (the last one was 9 years or so ago, centered in Richmond, and lasted less than 1 second, while this one lasted a good 5-10 seconds).

Second, according to the geologists on the teevee, this one was different than similar quakes out west because we're pretty much solid bedrock here on the East Coast.  A quake will be felt much further off because the waves have something solid to propagate through.

Chris

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 08:36:07 AM »
And that's why we felt it here in the middle of Ohio.  I'm sitting at my desk, and I start feeling odd, kind of like I'm on a ship in rough waters, moving while my senses tell me I'm stationary.  Afraid that maybe it was time to call the doc and get my blood pressure checked.  A minute later, a buddy at the prosecutor's office calls and tells me they are evacuating the county building as a precaution.  At least I knew it wasn't me.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark