Author Topic: Hold on!!!!!!!  (Read 12178 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Hold on!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:51 AM »
Only earthquake I experienced was a dinky little 3.5 when I was on a business trip to San Diego. Epicenter was about 8 miles away . . . it hit around 4 in the morning and woke me up; I thought at first that SOMEONE WAS IN THE HOTEL ROOM and had nudged the bed.  :O

It did get the adrenaline pumping . . .

This VA quake was much more significant, especially seeing as buildings on the east coast generally aren't built to earthquake-code the was new construction in Kali is supposed to be; yesterday resports had it that the Washington Monument was "tilting" and this morning Drudge is reporting that they've discovered "cracks" but a preliminary inspection says it's structually sound.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
This VA quake was much more significant, especially seeing as buildings on the east coast generally aren't built to earthquake-code the was new construction in Kali is supposed to be;

This is incorrect. The building codes used by the northeastern states have all included requirements for seismic resistance for several decades. However, as in California, buildings constructed before the adoption of these codes may not be earthquake resistant. CA does have some requirements for retrofitting older buildings (I've been involved in a couple of those), and AFAIK the northeastern states don't have any retroactive upgrade requirements. In general, it's an incorrect assumption that all buildings in CA are earthquake resistant, and it is equally incorrect to assume that all buildings in other states aren't.

Not only that ... it all depends on the severity of the quake. My wife and daughter were in a hotel just a few miles from the epicenter of that monster quake in Chile two years ago. Chile has a VERY strict seismic code ... but that quake was the second most powerful ever recorded. Their hotel didn't fall down ... but it came perilously close, despite the strict code.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »
I can recall only two earthquakes that I felt.  The first one was back in 1993 while on South Camp on the Sinai Pennisula and the other one was one of the ones in Oklahoma a year and a half ago or so.  Both times just felt a slight tremor and building shaking.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
Second, according to the geologists on the teevee, this one was different than similar quakes out west because we're pretty much solid bedrock here on the East Coast.  A quake will be felt much further off because the waves have something solid to propagate through.

Chris

Well, I was mostly making a joke in the vein of "Southern Californians don't know how to drive in the snow". :P :D

It's actually not just the geological structure though, it's the wave type. The last 6+ I went through was the Northridge quake, and it was known for having I believe the highest ground acceleration ever recorded, which greatly contributed to the destruction. I don't know what the dominate waveform in the earthquake back East was.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
I don't know what the dominate waveform in the earthquake back East was.

Mostly up&down, but some side-to-side. =D

Glad to have been of assistance here.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
FoxNews reporting a 6.7 in Lima, Peru.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 04:45:59 PM »

Freaking copycat attention whores!

In all seriousness, not a good thing.  They have all sorts of not-to-code structures and utility connections, as well as steep hillsides to contend with.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »

It's bean a rough week  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »

6.9 and 147km deep according to my tsunami sensor email notification, which I forgot to turn off while on the road trip.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2011, 01:35:27 AM »
Another! 4.5

And this time I felt it! =D

Fun! Fun! Fun!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2011, 02:37:57 AM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:49:50 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
My friend who lives 50 miles West of Charlottesville reports: "another shaker last night, at about 1am." We assume it was an aftershock?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
I await the horsemen coming in upon the gathering hurricane winds
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »
having done construction on both coasts, i can say that CA code has many more enforced seismic provisions.  required structural connectors and fasteners for use, required nailing schedules, plastic insulators on wiring staples, shear and retaining wall requirements, etc.  they also require older buildings to be retrofitted with seismic upgrades if a structural permit is needed for new work.  we are fortunate that our 110 yo house has diagonal rough cut 1x8 throughout the interior, under the sheetrock.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
Another! 4.5

Fun! Fun! Fun!
Was that the one at 1am?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2011, 03:00:48 AM »
Another! 4.5

Fun! Fun! Fun!

So, what you are saying is that "the earth moved for you"...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams