Author Topic: Argh. I hate this.  (Read 7686 times)

Spec ops Grunt

Argh. I hate this.
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:35:35 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148293.html

As an almost 15 year old kid, I love having my constitutional rights taken away from me.  Right to vote, gone.  Freedom of speech, gone.  Right to keep and bear arms, gone.  I'll agree that some people my age are not responsible enough to have these rights, as well as some adults.  But those adults still have those rights.

Pfft, land of the free.  Sad

zahc

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:43:40 PM »
I'm starting to get really pissed off at the US lately.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cosine

• Administrator
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 01:49:35 PM »
Hey, you think it's bad at age 15, well, legally I'm an adult (18) but guess what? I can't drink, buy a handgun, etc. That's probably my biggest pet peeve. If you're going to define someone legally as an adult, give them all the rights and privileges of an adult. rolleyes
Andy

Spec ops Grunt

Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:51:17 PM »
I can't do that or the aforementioned stuff.  I want my own damn country.

Is there a certain age where adults immediatly think someone younger then them is automaticly and invalid?

zahc

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 01:56:24 PM »
I was watching an anime show the other day, which was set in Japan, and I saw a cigarrete vending machine. I was like wait....we don't have those in the US anymore. I remember those days, but thank G** we have now been saved from ourselves, and such society-ruining manifestations of freedom are no longer around.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:19:26 PM »
OK, at what age do you want the full rights of an adult?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:33:11 PM »
Quote from: fistful
OK, at what age do you want the full rights of an adult?
I didn't mind waiting until I was 18 for the rights of an adult, (I might get some flames for saying this but here goes: When I was 15 I wanted the full rights of an adult, but now looking back to three years ago I can see now that I definitely wasn't mature enough for everything that I wanted.), but now I find it really annoying that "Yes, you're an adult, but only partly." Hmm.
Andy

Art Eatman

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 02:38:53 PM »
Age-limit stuff is based on "generally" and "most people".

For instance, would you really believe somebody under 35 is really qualified to serve as President?

Sure, I know people 35 years old who couldn't pour pee out of a boot with a hole in the toe and directions on the heel.  But that's not "generally" or "most people".

Unfortunately, "most people" of less than eighteen years aren't responsible enough to be allowed to exercise the rights of an adult.  Those who can suffer for that restriction.

But it's a good lesson:  The world, or life itsownself, isn't fair.  It never has been.  It never will be.  Never forget that.  When things do go well, be thankful.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 02:45:01 PM »
It's not just kids having their civil rights "screwed":

http://www.independentmail.com/and/home/article/0,1886,AND_8195_4641568,00.html

Spec ops Grunt

Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 03:01:47 PM »
I'm thinking long arms at parents discretion, handguns at 15,voting and alcohol at 18.

Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 03:54:57 PM »
As one fairly recently out of highschool,  I sympathize with the 18 unclesamwillgivemethekeystoatankbutnoboozedamnit guys, but this particular generation is brain dead, the thought that 18 year olds i went to school with have ANY say in our goverment sends chills down my spine.

hoppinglark

• http://www.angelfire.com/journal/slingshot70/index.html
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 06:09:18 PM »
I think at 18 you should be an adult.
Tobacco
Firearms-all kinds
Alcohol
Automobiles
Voting
Enlisting in Armed Services

Prior to that?
age to consent
drive a moped/scooter (50cc or less)

just my 2 cents.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 06:30:42 PM »
Given what I'm seeing from some of the younger renters in my community, and their young 20something friends, I don't think they're responsible enough to have the rights and priveledges of an adult.

Oh, and just to revisit a common refrain that I've brought up before, even the founding fathers didn't consider all rights to be absolute. The age of majority in colonial times was, in most states, 21. Voting "rights" were highly curtailed. And let's not even talk about women or blacks or indians.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »
Minors don'thave the full rights of an adult, but they do have many protections not given to adults- both for reasons of lack of worldly experience.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 07:23:31 PM »
This is nonsense.  I say full human rights begin at conception.  When I finish law school, I will represent infants who are being held against their will and denied binky.  And when that fetus kicks, that means he wants out - and you'd better let him or else.

Parker Dean

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 07:51:13 PM »
IMO, the reason that minors are not allowed these things is not that we like the idea, it's just that hard experience has taught us that they cannot handle the responsibilities.

At any given time a late teen may exhibit remarkable self control and forethought. Put that same teen in a group of their friends and that maturity tends to fly out the window with a sonic boom. Not every teen of course, but enough that the trend is obvious. Add guns and alcohol and the recipe for a tragedy is in place.

Move the age group to 20 and, IME, people can generally control themselves even when horsing around (guns) and are not as likely to fall prey to peer pressure (voting).

Perd Hapley

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »
The thing about teens or young adults is this.  Growing up takes a while, a long while for some of us.  So you can't just throw a sixteen year old the keys to life and say, "Have a nice trip."  On the other hand, that kid will only become an adult through tackling adult problems and taking responsibility.  It seems to me you've got to treat them like adults to a great degree, even though they are not, so that they will become adults.  Someone more mature than my twenty-nine-year-old self could manage my life a lot better, but I'll never mature that way.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 09:22:41 PM »
I'm thinking long arms at parents discretion, handguns at 15,voting and alcohol at 18
Funny, everytime I hear a minor describing that they should have the right to, and asked what age sounds right, it usually comes out to whatever age they are.

Furthermore, why would you distinguish between handguns and rifles?  Are handguns somehow more dangerous for a 14 year old to have than a rifle?

Since we are also talking about rights and adulthood, if the age for this stuff were dropped to 15, would you support dropping the draft age to 15?

One age limit is what is needed.  Whether it be 18, 21, or something else, everything needs to be the same.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Stand_watie

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 11:05:53 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
I'm thinking long arms at parents discretion, handguns at 15,voting and alcohol at 18
Funny, everytime I hear a minor describing that they should have the right to, and asked what age sounds right, it usually comes out to whatever age they are.

Furthermore, why would you distinguish between handguns and rifles?  Are handguns somehow more dangerous for a 14 year old to have than a rifle?

Since we are also talking about rights and adulthood, if the age for this stuff were dropped to 15, would you support dropping the draft age to 15?

One age limit is what is needed.  Whether it be 18, 21, or something else, everything needs to be the same.
Perhaps it should be when no one else can claim you as an exemption on their tax return.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Strings

Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 11:50:29 PM »
>Perhaps it should be when no one else can claim you as an exemption on their tax return<

DING DING DING! we have a winnah!

You actually CAN drink and own a handgun prior to 21: IF your parents are willing to provide it (going by Fed law here: some states have their own restrictions). Heck... I recall being able to drink in the tavern at 13 s'long's mom or dad was there (and consented: his may have changed)...

want the rights of an adult, BE an adult. Wouldn't bother me at all, to have something similar to Starship Troopers, where you have to serve a term of service to become a citizen and enjoy full rights...

Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 11:51:08 PM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
Perhaps it should be when no one else can claim you as an exemption on their tax return.
I think that is 25.

bermbuster

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 01:54:57 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Quote from: Stand_watie
I think that is 25.
Can I stay on my parents' insurance till I am, oh about 70? Wink

cosine

• Administrator
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 05:04:59 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Exactly what I was trying to say.
Andy

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 05:05:56 AM »
This sound like a Movie from the late 60's or early 70's where the children got their right to vote and passed laws to limit old folks....?
Brian
<><
:)

Justin

• friend
Argh. I hate this.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 08:16:48 AM »
...but this particular generation is brain dead, the thought that 18 year olds i went to school with have ANY say in our goverment sends chills down my spine.
Perhaps the reason the current generation is brain-dead has to do with the fact that our society treats them as such.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.