Author Topic: We are all going to die in the coastal Pacific Northwest  (Read 11476 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
We are all going to die in the coastal Pacific Northwest
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:08:20 AM »
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Totally-Psyched-for-the-Full-Rip-Nine.html

My county emergency response administrative team sent out an email link to this article.  It examines the impact of a 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami on the Pacific Northwest coast.  It has been 311 years since the last such quake, and apparently we are overdue. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: We are all going to die in the coastal Pacific Northwest
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »
If Ranier erupts, you will all be covered with mud.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »
i await the asteroid that happens to intersect with the yellowstone caldera

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »
I'm not going to die in the coastal Pacific Northwest, thank you very much.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »
Me either.......................................................................my wife wants me to move from nice warm Texas to the frigid artic of the UP of MI.......chris3

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
It has been 311 years since the last such quake, and apparently we are overdue. 

Punctuality ain't all it's cracked up to be.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »
Well, as the article makes clear, your chance of death is increased if you are on the coastal Pacific Northwest when the quake and tsunami hit.  In the Midwest, not so much.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:59 PM »
Seems like every major human killer natural disaster is overdue.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 05:56:56 AM »
I call DIBS on all your guns and cool stuff!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 08:45:16 AM »
If it's been 311 years since the last quake, can it still be blamed on climate change?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
You beat me dammit!  :mad:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:10:00 AM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:21:38 AM »

In more ways than one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
Just as long as it doesn't happen this weekend I'm cool!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »
Does that mean all those hippies in the NW will finally get a bath when the NW falls into the sea?  chris3

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
Truckloads of Drano to the NW,,, STAT!  :O

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 05:23:23 PM »

Mathematical fallacy, probabilistic events (asteroid impacts, etc) can't be "overdue"...earthquakes are an exception though, due to continual buildup in strain...the longer the time between releases (for a given fault), the higher the energy of the release.  Um...
giggity.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Totally-Psyched-for-the-Full-Rip-Nine.html

My county emergency response administrative team sent out an email link to this article.  It examines the impact of a 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami on the Pacific Northwest coast.  It has been 311 years since the last such quake, and apparently we are overdue. 

We have an emergency response administrative team?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »

You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold, dead, wet, crushed by falling debris, drowned by tsunami fingers.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:57:02 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »
Neskowin South Beach, stumps of ancient trees exposed by shifting sands.  The trees were submerged when an earthquake dropped the coastline 1700-2000 years ago.  Pretty cool place.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 11:56:20 PM »
Just as long as it doesn't happen this weekend I'm cool!

So long as we're out to sea on the charter boat when it happens we'll be just fine.  Just a slightly bigger swell than the rest of them.  Finding our trucks when we get back to what's left of the docks though will be another matter.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 12:54:46 AM »
I can't wait.   Should make our new home in Las Vegas worth more.
Seeing as it could be ocean front property.  [popcorn]
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »
I can't wait.   Should make our new home in Las Vegas worth more.
Seeing as it could be ocean front property.  [popcorn]

I think your geography is a bit off....the area in question is along the Juan de Fuca subduction zone, which ranges from far northern California to southern British Columbia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Fuca_Plate
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 01:15:16 AM »
DOH  :facepalm: my bad I didn't even bother reading the link. 
So my reference is to the generally accepted idea that one day
southern California is going to break off.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 07:38:23 AM »
It almost did once but Superman saved the day. Then he turned time back and saved Lois Lane too. Superman is awesome. Way better than Batman, who has no super powers, just a bunch of widgets.  :P

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »
It almost did once but Superman saved the day. Then he turned time back and saved Lois Lane too. Superman is awesome. Way better than Batman, who has no super powers, just a bunch of widgets.  :P

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, if you really think about, superman is not only a commie (I'll get into that later) but really, an a$$hole.   Let's examine:

We have superman, endowed by his Kryptonian biology and earth's "yellow" (actually white, but that's beside the point) sun with superpowers including: immortality, bulletproof, super speed, super strength, heat vision, cold breath, x-ray vision, and he can fly....basically the ultimate jock.

And his arch nemesis, lux luthor who is...wait for it....smart.  That's it, no superpowers, just smart.  So lex, in true capitalist fashion, decides to make a buck, of course, he's got a weird streak and flexible morals, so his ideas could best be categorized as schemes, at the beginning, but rather than simply instructing lex that it's far easier to make vast piles of money legally if you are beyond genius smart, superman basically foils his plans with ever increasing levels of jock-titude, teaching lex, instead, that super genetic freak jocks will always win (and get the girl) over lowly super smart nerds.  Needless to say, this causes some angst, and he strikes out at his tormentor, superjock, with increasingly outlandish plans, putting the rest of the world into a position as bystanders to "revenge of the nerds 16: nerd strikes back with doomsday weapons".

So it seems the moral of the story is "smart capitalists who thrive on personal responsibility and try to make things happen for themselves will always lose to genetically superior superjocks who want to save everybody, protect the world".   

Needless to say, thinking about that, one can't help but pity lex for not having a good Econ 101 teacher, and look at superman less like "hero of humanity" (odd, given that he is an alien) and more like the big angry guy in revenge of the nerds pummeling the smart kids because they convinced the other retarded jock worshipers to give him their lunch money.