Author Topic: Which Northern Brewer extract kit should I start with?  (Read 10189 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Which Northern Brewer extract kit should I start with?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
it should be fine at that temp.  let us know what the final product is like!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
Cracked a bottle open last night to "investigate" how the conditioning process is coming along.  =D

It's still very fruity, but with some carbonation it was less apparent than when the beer was flat. The hops are finally starting the appear too. A few seconds after you take a sip you get the delicious hoppyness on your tongue that you expect from a pale ale.  :cool:
Andy

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 04:02:17 PM »
A little more bottle conditioning and it will be right on. I've got an imperial stout in the secondary that has me nervous. Primary was so active the airlock seal blew out. No off aromas after I sealed again, but I know I have wild yeast around. =|
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
i would always sample at a week, even though it gets so much better after 3.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
A little more bottle conditioning and it will be right on. I've got an imperial stout in the secondary that has me nervous. Primary was so active the airlock seal blew out. No off aromas after I sealed again, but I know I have wild yeast around. =|

Well, from reading home brewing forums the word seems to be never give up on a batch of beer. If something bad happens still finish fermenting and conditioning the batch and then make a decision whether the beer was ruined or not. Some people have some really wild stories but still ended up with a decent batch of beer.  :O
Would you considering a blow-off tube next time you make that recipe?

Since this was my first batch, I wanted to know what happens as it conditions so I'm going to be sampling a bottle every week to see what's going on, even though it needs three weeks of bottle conditioning to be "done."
Andy

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
I do that weekly "sampling" just to understand the maturation effect/process.

Primary was in a plastic carboy so guests could see it. Wouldn't have happened in a bucket. Will monitor the batch. I'll still drink it out even if it tastes funky. Too much money and time to abandon. =)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »
Yeah, my primary is a 6.5 gal. bucket so I don't get to see the krausen and what else goes on. I'd like to have a carboy so I could see that. I'll get one someday.
Andy

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
This was a 6gal Better Bottle. Light and handy, but no longer recommended as a primary fermenter. ;)

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
Well dang.

Cracked open a second one. There was enough carbonation to be pleasant, but it's still very cloudy, it doesn't seem to be clearing up at all. The bitter hop flavor is slightly stronger than last week, but it's just sort of bitter. It's not the citrusy-grapefruity flavor you'd expect from Cascade hops. The fruitiness isn't diminishing either. It's just sort of becoming a slightly unpleasant, bitter fruitiness.  =|
Andy