Author Topic: Welder as generator?  (Read 4213 times)

zahc

• friend
Welder as generator?
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Most stick welders have outlets on them so that you can use them as generators. I've been going to purchase a small generator in case of extended power outages, but why shouldn't I consider getting a stick welder instead? Then I would have a welder which would probably get used more than the generator anyway. Are welders really poor generators or are they pretty decent?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Welder as generator?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »
They are usually very well built because they are designed to be used hard.
At least that is my opinion about Miller and Lincoln.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »
My dad always used his Lincoln arc welder as a generator. I think it even had a 240V outlet. My only concern is that they might use 5kW worth of fuel but only be as good as a 2kW dedicated generator, but I don't know if that's the case or not.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
If you had a welder, what would you use it for?

I suspect the welders you could use as generators are going to be quite large and expensive.  If your needs don't mesh well with those welders, you may be better off getting a different welder and a separate generator.

Chris

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
A decent, engine driven welder (Miller or Lincoln, 6000w) starts at about $2500. (give or take, new price)

A decent 5kw genset (Homeowner grade) is less then $1000, and a stick welder is about $500.

How often do you need to weld away from power?

Engine driven welders tend to be designed for hard commercial use, and priced accordingly.  You're probably spending more then you need to.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »
A decent, engine driven welder (Miller or Lincoln, 6000w) starts at about $2500. (give or take, new price)

A decent 5kw genset (Homeowner grade) is less then $1000, and a stick welder is about $500.

How often do you need to weld away from power?

Engine driven welders tend to be designed for hard commercial use, and priced accordingly.  You're probably spending more then you need to.

Well, there is the utility of only having one thing that you need to drag around though. I've got a little enough garage space, and bad wiring as it is.  =D

At least you know the thing was built to last, and is not some china-mart thing that's based on surviving long enough to keep your freezer from getting stinky and sump-pump running for 1-2 days until the power comes on, or you lose your receipt and can't return it.  =|
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
Don't worry about the stinky freezer.  When the power comes back on everything refreezes and the smell goes away, mostly.  HTH :)
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »
Well, there is the utility of only having one thing that you need to drag around though. I've got a little enough garage space, and bad wiring as it is.  =D

At least you know the thing was built to last, and is not some china-mart thing that's based on surviving long enough to keep your freezer from getting stinky and sump-pump running for 1-2 days until the power comes on, or you lose your receipt and can't return it.  =|

True, but........

Longevity isn't the only thing you're looking at here.  If you have the budget for a 6kw engine driven welder, you have the budget for a nice welder and (about) a 10Kw generator.  Which runs a LOT more then a 6.  And not that's not buying a china mart. There are good solid homeowner level generators out there for good prices.

Of course if you really want the added portable welding feature, and don't want/can't use the added power then go for it.  I have access to an engine driven stick welder at my shop, and often find it easier or better to just take what needs welding off the ship, into the shop, and MIG it in the Fab shop.  For me, having used one, unless I'm mounting it to a field repair truck and driving all over creation, or fixing fences on huge ranches, I'd rather have more gen power available and bring welding into the shop.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 06:03:45 PM »
Meh... to weld post SHTF, I'm just going to connect three scavenged car batteries in series to get 36V and use jumper cables and a piece of coathanger as welding rod.

If your welds are all nice and neat, even worse, look like they're TIG or MIG... the neighbors, mutant biker zombies are going to wonder what other "nice stuff" you have.
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
The point about value is well taken. I would rather have a MIG welder anyway. I actually asked because I found a stick welder for sale on Craigslist, and it kind of got me thinking.
--Tallpine

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 06:49:05 PM »
Meh... to weld post SHTF, I'm just going to connect three scavenged car batteries in series to get 36V and use jumper cables and a piece of coathanger as welding rod.

If your welds are all nice and neat, even worse, look like they're TIG or MIG... the neighbors, mutant biker zombies are going to wonder what other "nice stuff" you have.

I've seen videos of guys doing that with jumper cables and actual welding rods.  Ugly nasty welds but they held up to the vise and hammer test.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »
I would rather have a MIG welder anyway.

Depends how thick of material you want to weld. Thick stuff, SMAW (stick) wins over GMAW (Mig). Also in windy enviroments you can get real bad porosity with a mig welder, unless you are doing flux core.

Former welder here, what drove me to get a college degree.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I prefer MIG's for most work.  When I really need a stick or need to go to the project, I can plug a stinger into my TIG.  For 90% of home welding a nice area in your garage to weld in and a MIG will be the way to go.

If you outgrow that, start looking for bigger/different equipment.

ETA: I usually keep a roll or two of flux core wire around as well, just in case.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »
I got an older model of this lightly used, cheap
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2708-2
for the same reason you want one.

The arc output is a little shaky, and the fuel tank is too small to be of any real benefit as an emergency generator.

If I was to do it again, and didn't get "the deal of the century" I'd get one of these
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/stick-welders/Pages/ac-225.aspx
and one of these
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=work

On second thought, I'll just pay Ray at Ray's Quality Welding to weld anything I need welded.  Even with one eye and seven fingers, Ray strikes a nicer bead than anyone in town.

I'll sell the engine welder to some young, unsuspecting chump or a contractor who needs to be able to get broken equipment back to the shop, and get a nice little quiet generator for emergencies and luxurious outings.

7-11 was a part time job.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 09:20:42 AM »
But in a pinch, you can also use a 250-amp DC welder for jump-starting your car! Father-in-law and uncle-in-law (heavy equipment guys) did this in northern Minnesota some years ago to get the scrapers and dozers going on a winter project. (Usually a Monday morning thing.)

I suspect it's hell on starter motors but it *will* spin 'em up.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!