Author Topic: The Future of Phones from 1956  (Read 9319 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
The Future of Phones from 1956
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »
The article is here:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/08/31/your-telephone-of-tomorrow/
Most articles like this are funny, due to ridiculous assumptions about the future. This one is scary accurate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Future of Phones from 1956
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:29:42 AM »
Thanks, that was neat.

So what's holding up the videophone? Still too slow, or too much data? Or do people just prefer that they, or their surroundings, not be seen?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:34:19 AM »
Actually, fisty, the videophone is alive and well, and has been for quite a few years. Mostly it's used as a video conferencing tool, but there are individual desk systems available.  We have the technology at my office and use it frequently.  Plus, you have webcam applications available to anyone with broadband, and those amount to the same thing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:42:04 AM »
I wish that we were all given a single telephone number at birth that would follow us throughout life, regardless of device or telecommunications carrier.  At least we can now port cell phone numbers from one carrier to another.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 12:43:35 AM »
I wish that we were all given a single telephone number at birth that would follow us throughout life, regardless of device or telecommunications carrier.  At least we can now port cell phone numbers from one carrier to another.

Don't give the government ideas.  Next thing you know your phone number will be the same as your SSN....

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
Don't give the government ideas.  Next thing you know your phone number will be the same as your SSN....

I am fairly sure that years back, I read this premise in a science fiction story; although the number was a universal identifier, that was also used as your phone number, bank account, address and a bunch of other stuff.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:59:42 AM »
Some cell phones can do videophone stuff - if you have a wireless connection. I think the iPhone 4 can do that. Video takes up a vast amount of resources, which makes it difficult to work with.
Also, one of the great things about the phone is that you can talk while in the bathroom, while driving to work, etc. It doesn't require your full attention, while a videophone would. I think we will see videophones becoming more common in coming years, but more often in your house/hotel/etc instead of your cell phone (see Demolition Man for an example). It'll be more doable when you're talking to someone on a life-size screen, instead of a 3x5 or smaller screen.
I wish that we were all given a single telephone number at birth that would follow us throughout life, regardless of device or telecommunications carrier.  At least we can now port cell phone numbers from one carrier to another.
It would be helpful in many ways... but some people like to change numbers often to avoid old contacts, crazed exes, and others. Double-edged blade there.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 01:21:07 AM »
Actually, fisty, the videophone is alive and well, and has been for quite a few years. Mostly it's used as a video conferencing tool, but there are individual desk systems available.  We have the technology at my office and use it frequently.  Plus, you have webcam applications available to anyone with broadband, and those amount to the same thing.

I know. That's kind of the point. We have the technology, but the vast majority of phone calls are still audio-only. So is the technology just not quite good/cheap enough, or do people just prefer not to use it?

Also, one of the great things about the phone is that you can talk while in the bathroom, while driving to work, etc. It doesn't require your full attention, while a videophone would.

I think that's why video has been so slow to spread - audio-only is usually more convenient. Also, we've seen how popular texting has become. That's sort of the opposite direction from video. A text doesn't just hide our physical appearance; it hides the voice (and the background voices), too.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:46:25 AM »
I am fairly sure that years back, I read this premise in a science fiction story; although the number was a universal identifier, that was also used as your phone number, bank account, address and a bunch of other stuff.

Pohl and Kornbluth, The Space Merchants?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »
About a month ago I checked out a book recently put out by Popular Mechanics calledThe Future That Never Was

I want my flying car.

The above is a slide show from the book.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
I think that's why video has been so slow to spread - audio-only is usually more convenient. Also, we've seen how popular texting has become. That's sort of the opposite direction from video. A text doesn't just hide our physical appearance; it hides the voice (and the background voices), too.

Yes.

I've tried video calls with my EVO, and they work very well. But why? It requires way too much attention, and I felt too much like I was "on stage" or something. I suppose it can be novel and fun for things like grandparents "talking" to their grandkids.

I've done video conferencing for work, and the technology is good with the right equipment, but the right equipment is still pretty expensive. Still, I'm a big fan of it, if it keeps more of my .gov colleagues in DC from deciding they need to have meetings in Hawaii (or at my office).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »

Imperial earth.  Arthur c Clarke.  I believe he also used that meme in other books as well.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »
Seeing as how that article was published 2 months after I was born, it was incredibly interesting to me.  I remember taking a field trip in grade school when I lived in Ohio.  We went to COSI in downtown Columbus.  COSI was (is?) The Center Of Science and Industry.  Like a museum of present and future tech.  There was a working example of a videophone.  It was presented as an oddity that would most likely never happen because of the bandwidth requirements to transmit the picture.  That would have been roughly a decade after this article was written.  COSI was a bit pessimistic.

Great article.  "Thanks" to ZOB for posting the link.

DD

eta: COSI "is".  Here's a link: http://www.cosi.org/
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »
My now-ex wife and I went to the NY World's Fair in ought-64 and they had a demonstration of the touch-tone phone system.  It asked you to dial in your own phone on a regular dial and then on the touch-tone and it would show you the difference in time.  There were vertical lighted columns which lit up higher and higher up the column to show elapsed time for each system.  They also described the possible future applications of the # and * keys.

Later on, when touch-tone phones became common, I kinda got POed at the phone company for inverting the numbers on the keypad (123, 456, 789) from the old Friden adding machine's setup (789, 456, 123, like on your computer keyboard)) because a long time ago I learned the touch system for the adding machine and every once in a while I dial a wrong number because of it --still, after 50 years.

Man, you should have seen me add up a column of numbers on the Fridens.  Clicketyclicketyclickety.

I kinda would like to see some people I'm talking to, but I won't necessarily want to answer the phone with video as a default.  I was never nominated for best housekeeper of the year.  Now maybe with a "nice" background behind me, I'd consider it.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:22:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »
It could be worse, they could have emulated the rotary with the keyboard:
1 2 3 4
0 # * 5
9 8 7 6

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »
Another thing from that site - a functioning flat screen TV in 1958:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/04/09/flat-screen-tv-in-1958/

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 11:31:40 PM »
Later on, when touch-tone phones became common, I kinda got POed at the phone company for inverting the numbers on the keypad (123, 456, 789) from the old Friden adding machine's setup (789, 456, 123, like on your computer keyboard)) because a long time ago I learned the touch system for the adding machine and every once in a while I dial a wrong number because of it --still, after 50 years.

Man, you should have seen me add up a column of numbers on the Fridens.  Clicketyclicketyclickety.

Terry, 230RN

I was an accounting minor in College and I worked part time for Montgomery Wards as a bill collector.  I couldn't dial or add straight, because of that.

From 200-2004 I worked for a company that leased out the old Western Electric Hawthorne Works facilities.  Contrary to the wiki article, the copper rod mill was purchased and run by Phelps Dodge, part was turned into shopping mall, and the production facilities, cable plant and warehouse we leased out. Farking huge place with offices, nooks, underground tunnel systems, overhead cranes, and lots of left behind phone stuff, for us to get in trouble with. 

So whenever I see or read about Western Electric, Bell Labs (had two big R&D complexes around here.  One in Lisle and another one in Naperville (now Alcatel-Lucent), I can say I knew a little about it and was there.  I guess that makes me a Old Phart.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
Gah.. Born in '73... and despite having a rotary in our house until around 1980 or so... I pretty much grew up with touch-tone, and computers too... and the inversion of phone keypads and computer still screws me up royally some days.

I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 03:21:25 AM »

LOL! I am very glad that the only number CA and San Francisco has is a hardly used cheapo tracfone, they want thousands of dollars for the crime of attempting to earn money. They decided that even though I was using my motorcycle as a completely commercial vehicle that I could not register as a commercial vehicle and park anywhere downtown. When excessive fee's and fines are imposed you're not allowed yet to hang the treasonous bastids so I move away and let them call the cheapo throwaway number
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »
"Welllll, Hi!  So good to hear from  you! Like my new videophone?"

Blatant spam:  Terry's visual cortex removal.  All medical plans accepted.  Call 303-555-2345 for details or to schedule an appointment.

Terry, 230RN

(Pic blame in properties.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:09:18 AM by 230RN »

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »
I believe that I found and posted the above picture (it was sent to me by e-mail, I did not go looking for it,  [barf] [barf] [barf])

Therefore, I will approve Terry taking all responsibility since he signed his e-mail, and I'm not signing this one.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
I got it a long time ago off the net but my pic server was down for a while, so I googled that particular copy.  You probably copied it from one of my older posts anyhow.  Nyah!

If credit blame be due, credit blame me.

...and the other party answers...

"Yeah, I found you on facebook and couldn't resist calling you.  Is my video coming through OK?  So how's the wife and kids?"

http://www.ezakwantu.com/Lip%20Plugs.jpg

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:31:07 PM by 230RN »

Rosalyn

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 04:59:30 PM »
I remember the old video phones before cell phones became popular. I think the video quality was terrible and it obviously required other people to have the video phones too. I use Skype so my daughter can talk to my parents when they are in Florida. They like seeing her and she seems to have a longer attention span when there is video involved.  =D
Rosalyn - I can't wait until black friday sales

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 06:31:01 PM »
Welcome Rosalyn, to our little twisted corner of the Interwebz!!

New person buys the ammo and booze, so I'll take some 185grRN .45ACP and your timing is perfect as my jug of Red Stag is below 1/4 full. 

Do stick around and get to know us reprobates that dwell in "this wretched hive of scum and villiany".   We're a fun group and we do enjoy each other's company, please join us, always room for one more at the bar.

I saw your email address and am wondering if you're in or around Indianapolis?  I grew up there and get down there once a month or so to see my parents.  There is a very active blogging/shooting group that has get togethers about every other month.  You can see Tam's Blog or Roberta's for details as they generally "host" them at a Broad Ripple Restaurant.  Brigid is a very close and dear friend and Barkley is such a great dog.

And bacon is cooked to crispy.  ;)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
And bacon is cooked to crispy.  ;)

No, bacon should be chewy. Cookies should be crispy.