Author Topic: Sin City!  (Read 3245 times)

wasrjoe

Sin City!
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:20:29 PM »
Hooah! Who else is going to see this on Friday? I can't wait. I rarely get excited for movies, and just about as rarely go and see them in theaters, but I'm really thinking this one will turn out well.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Vodka7

• friend
Sin City!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:16:12 PM »
I've read all the graphic novels a dozen times, absolutely can't wait to see the movie on Friday.

What's strange is the kind of broad appeal it's been having--my girlfriend and her cousin are both really excited about it, and neither of them has ever read the comics.  I blame Clive Owen.

(Just as a note, I didn't mean broad as a pun.  But I just noticed it when I was getting ready to hit submit.)

The casting is perfect for all of the main characters.  I even think Elijah Wood was a good choice for Kevin.  But that one guy, Josh Hartnet, for Ava's husband?  (Damien, I think?)  Not like he has a big part, but it should have gone to someone older.  And the guy playing Senator Roark is no where near fat and creepy enough, but I think he'll fit a lot of Roark's lines better.

As best I can tell, the movie seems to only have characters from Sin City, That Yellow Bastard, A Dame to Kill For, and The Big Fat Kill, in case anyone wants to go out and beef up on the story before they see the movie.  The adaptation is perfect enough that there was only one scene in the trailer I wasn't 100% sure of what it was depicting.  (The building that explodes, is that supposed to be the farm?  Doesn't quite seem right but it's the only guess I've got.)

TarpleyG

• friend
Sin City!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 01:07:27 AM »
Two words...Jessica Alba!

Greg

...has left the building.

Sin City!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 05:12:05 AM »
Hopefully I'll see it late Thursday night at a special showing. My friend is the manager of a local theatre so that would rock. If not, I'm seeing it on Friday.

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
Sin City!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 05:24:23 AM »
Probably a Friday cheap price showing before people get out of work.

Kharn

• friend
Sin City!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 02:35:55 PM »
Its either going to rock, or suck. :/
Hopefully the former.

Kharn

Sin City!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 02:03:54 AM »
Quote from: Kharn
Its either going to rock, or suck. :/
Hopefully the former.

Kharn
I agree. It sure seems like it has a recipe for success though. Rodriguez (sp?) is commited to making a faithful adaptation and with Miller co-directing I think he will pull it off. I'm not sure how the mainstream audience is going to respond to a movie that is essentially a live-action comic book, but I am confident that the fans are gonna like it.

I'm gonna be there opening day.

wasrjoe

Sin City!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 11:24:16 AM »
Two words...Jessica Alba!
Those two words are fine by me. Cheesy
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

...has left the building.

Sin City!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 11:43:49 AM »
I thought the film was stunning. It really held to Frank Miller's overall vision. The directing was fantastic. The only problem is that I'm not sure everyone will "get it" because the stories are loosely related, as in the graphic novels. But then again I've found that most people who judge a film solely on the plot line are not very astute.

Vodka7

• friend
Sin City!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 01:59:39 PM »
Ok, looks like I have to be the first one to ask this....

Does, uh, Jessica Alba wear the outfit from the comics?  Namely, nothing but a pair of chaps and a lasso Smiley

Greg Levy

Sin City!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 03:05:07 PM »
no Sad

I was really excited when I furst heard about the movie...but I don't know if I am going to like the style.  The one scene where they keep shwoing the two charecters with the machine guns just shooting down on to something...the cinemetography looks really strange.

Now...Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...that's got me really excited!

greg

wasrjoe

Sin City!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 10:39:11 PM »
It was incredible. Wow. Amazing movie. Go see it.

nico

• friend
Sin City!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 11:27:08 PM »
I don't know anything about the comics, but I thought it was very cool.  I thought it was especially interresting how all of the heros carried the new nickel plated Springfield GI model (added to their catalog a few weeks ago at a $1200MSRP) and the senator what looked to me to be a micro-compact.  They even made what looked to me like a conscious effort to show the SA rollmark in one scene.  I wonder if SA paid for the product placement.

Jessica Alba and Brittany Murphy were smokin btw.

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
Sin City!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 02:25:21 AM »
Excellent movie, felt like a new Pulp Fiction type thing to me with the seperate stories, which I enjoyed, it showed a wide view of the city. Violence? Yes. Castrations? Yes. Very well done? Yes.

Vodka7

• friend
Sin City!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 07:10:28 AM »
I think I'm the only one who cares about this, but for anyone who may be wondering...  Movie is made up of Sin City, The Big Fat Kill, and That Yellow Bastard.  The two who I thought were Ava/Damien aren't...

As for faithfulness to the comics:

Sin City - 96% - A few lines were changed.  Marv's childhood story (the puzzle thing) was left out, but still alluded to later (DVD hopefully?)  The scene in his mother's house is missing.  Marv escapes through the window instead of the door in the farm cellar.  A few lines were changed--most obvious ones were in the confessional, Marv's response to the home security question, and the scene with Roark.  Also, for some reason they don't show the tattooed policeman running, which I thought was one of the more iconic images from the comics.
The Big Fat Kill - 98% - More lines changed than in Sin City; the torturer's actions and words are given to Manute.  The Molon Labe part is left out.
That Yellow Bastard - 85% - A *lot* of stuff was cut from this one.  Hartigan's wife, the nurse, and lawyer are missing from the hospital scene.  Nancy's vulgar lines are missing.  Lucille is missing, as is the *entire* parole scene.  The blonde cop is replaced with Hartigan's partner.  In a Han shoots first edit, Hartigan grabs Nancy and kisses her in the hotel room.  Hartigan does not disarm Junior (the second time) exactly as he does in the comics.  The final scene is very slightly different.

Overall, my only real nitpicks are with the tattooed cop and the parole scene.  Still, I loved it and so did my girlfriend, who has never read any of the books.  The packed theater seemed to really enjoy it too (although, please, someone remind me never to see a ten o'clock showing on a Friday night again.  We're in our early twenties and were, save one other couple, easily the oldest people there.)  Everyone took it seriously for what it was and what it was doing (no one laughed at the Noirishness, unlike, say, Crouching Tiger, where you always had a handful of people who thought flying asians were hilarious in every single scene.)

One edit--I believe the two Josh Hartnett scenes come from Booze, Broads, and Bullets, but I'm going to have to re-read it to make sure.

nico

• friend
Sin City!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 08:20:58 AM »
We're in our early twenties and were, save one other couple, easily the oldest people there.
lol my girlfriend and I are both 21 and noticed that more than half the theater was "kids"

Wedge

• friend
Sin City!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 05:29:41 PM »
Great movie.  Seeing it on DLP was awesome too.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Sin City!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 08:31:16 PM »
sweet, it was totally sweet.  I too wondered about the springfield product placements

atek3

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Sin City!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 08:44:29 PM »
It seriously made me consider becoming a pacifist.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Strings

Sin City!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2005, 03:07:29 PM »
Spoon and I were wondering about the SA product placement. Maybe gun manufacturers have woken up to movies as ads?

Now... I haven't read the books yet. I liked the movie, and will be getting the DVD. But it just felt kinda disjointed. Then again, I am NOT a Tarantino fan...

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Sin City!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 10:36:43 AM »
I don't keep up with movie releases, but I just watched Sin City after noticing it show up on Amazon's top 250.  It's amazing.

Looks like the initial dvd release slated for this summer is a no-extras thing and they plan to fleece sin city addicts with a special edition dvd (with all the extra footage they shot) late this year.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)