Author Topic: An artist's incendiary painting is his bank statement  (Read 7608 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
An artist's incendiary painting is his bank statement
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bank-painting-20110828,0,4395501.story

Artist setups on sidewalk and starts painting a Chase bank on fire.  Police show up because somebody had called and said they felt threatened by his painting.  Police question artist and ask if he was a terrorist and if he was going to follow through with what he was painting.  Artist tells them no it is a visual metaphor and a terrorist wouldn't spend hours on a sidewalk painting.  The next Tuesday detectives show up at artist's house, again asking him if he was going to set the bank ablaze.  Bank Spokesbot says "It's a situation we don't take lightly.  Hopefully, this is not what his actions are.  It's kind of scary - you don't know what other people are thinking.  We have to look out for the safety of our customers and employees."  Artist has only had 2 police encounters in his life, these were both of them.  He believes he will be getting different treatment at the airports.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: An artist's incendiary painting is his bank statement
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »
Unreal. I wonder if they'll question Bruce Willis about blown up skyscrapers.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »
I'm one of those that blame government regulations and "incentives" more than the banks for the current banking "crisis", though obviously there is a great deal to question about some banking practices. Still I think this would be a clear 1st Amendment issue and don't see how this could possibly be a credible threat requiring a follow up visit by police.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:12:57 PM »
are we supposed to see this as a violation?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »

Make the bad man go away!  His art makes me uncomfortable!  [cue the stormtroopers]
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

IIRC govt. actions that have a "chilling effect" on free speech or expression are considered a violation of the First. so if he were to feel like there would be repercussions to continuing his art (TSA harassment) or if he felt intimidated by the police interest then it would be a violation.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
The details are sketchy, and all my attempts to get answers have been brushed off.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:18:33 PM »

....or Samuel L. Jackson about herpetological bioweapons....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »
or Hoffa jr about killing 20% of Americans?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
Dislike a Jesus statue made out of poop? "Its art and if you don't accept it, we will destroy your reputation, you vile hater of humanity."
Make a painting of a mega-bank on fire? "You have attacked one of the most important underpinnings of our society. We will destroy you for this act, you heathen!"
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 02:43:22 PM »
We will destroy you for this act,

really?  cops coming to talk to you is "destroying"?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »
Hyberbole you don't get.

Barack Obama

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
First thought: blowing up a bank is a bad thing?

Second thought: we have truly developed into a nation of no-common-sense spineless pansies.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »

No, of course not. After all, the man had merely been questioned.

He hasn't been imprisoned or anything. So everything is fine. Move along.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »
The details are sketchy, and all my attempts to get answers have been brushed off.

I see what you did there.   :laugh:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
This reminds me of when I got a call from my son's school about his violation of their zero-tolerance policy with regard to weapons. I had to leave work to go meet with the vice-principal who'd had Jay sitting in his office for the two hours it took them to discuss it amongst themselves, call me at work, and me to get there. It seems Jay was caught with a 3-inch long, army-green, plastic, GI Joe rifle.
"Yes, it's a toy gun, but it's still a gun and we have a zero-tolerance policy. Your son will receive two days in-school suspension."
Really? I took the "gun" off the VPs desk, pointed it at him and said, "Bang." with a deadpan expression. I didn't make the list of most popular parents that school year.
Jay was five. And had absolutely no comprehension that a 3-inch long, army-green, plastic, GI Joe rifle could result in the death of his classmates. 

Think I might have to see if the boys still have those toys. Maybe I could take one with me the next time I fly. Since I always get searched anyway, might as well give TSA something to find. I could stick it in my bra.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with artists painting fire on a bank but the stupidity of it reminded me of this episode.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 10:05:02 AM »
This reminds me of when I got a call from my son's school about his violation of their zero-tolerance policy with regard to weapons. I had to leave work to go meet with the vice-principal who'd had Jay sitting in his office for the two hours it took them to discuss it amongst themselves, call me at work, and me to get there. It seems Jay was caught with a 3-inch long, army-green, plastic, GI Joe rifle.
"Yes, it's a toy gun, but it's still a gun and we have a zero-tolerance policy. Your son will receive two days in-school suspension."
Really? I took the "gun" off the VPs desk, pointed it at him and said, "Bang." with a deadpan expression. I didn't make the list of most popular parents that school year.
Jay was five. And had absolutely no comprehension that a 3-inch long, army-green, plastic, GI Joe rifle could result in the death of his classmates. 

Off topic as well, but...
 When my son was in daycare, he got reprimanded and a notewas sent home because my son held a banana 'like a gun.'

The next day I packed these in his lunch:

Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 10:08:34 AM »
Off topic as well, but...
 When my son was in daycare, he got reprimanded and a notewas sent home because my son held a banana 'like a gun.'

The next day I packed these in his lunch:

Love It!!!!!!
Any other notes?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 10:37:05 AM »
I feel threatened by this thread.

It shows a lack of Respect For Authority.

It has several implications for surreptitiously introducing the Concept of Weapons into Schools, Brassieres, and other Sensitive Areas.

And the very Concept of Weapons can be dangerous, especially when introduced into the tender minds of our Young People and most especially into the tender minds of The Authorities.

Any Concept of Weaponry except in the hands of the Military and Police is Bad Terroristic Stuff.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:46:32 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »

I think my mind just broke.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
....or Samuel L. Jackson about herpetological bioweapons....

No and no, not artists. =D

I got a talking to from the authorities when I was in school, but to be fair I did have a copy of Improvised Munitions FM in my locker, just brought it to show a friend. Had I been in school a little more recently I suspect I'd be news.  ;/ Just because a kid gets bored launching model rockets vertically doesn't make him a terrorist.
Hmm, made a clay gun in art class, took a working air rifle as part of a 5th grade halloween costume, I'm sure many more watchlist activities.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:41:24 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »
When my son was in daycare, he got reprimanded and a note was sent home because my son held a banana 'like a gun.'
You should have called them "racist".  (they wouldn't have expected that and their heads might explode)

I love the Gummi army men.  Where'd you find something like that?

"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »
I love the Gummi army men.  Where'd you find something like that?

A deli near where I work in Milwaukee makes/sells them.

Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »
Ask and you shall receive.

Just wanted to flag this in case I need it for anything in the future. Thanks Adively!  =D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe