Author Topic: how bad  (Read 11002 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: how bad
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »
Is it blatant misrepresentation, or is it making things fit on a web page? It still shows Paul with a huge lead, so what's the problem?

The lead it shows is not huge enough to be accurate.  Especially early on in the poll:

I suppose you could plead incompetence on the part of the web developer, but they would have to be pretty damn incompetent to screw it up this badly.

Also, even if it was a mistake, why hasn't it been corrected?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »
It's not that they're THROWING the poll, per se, it's just that they are organizing to a degree that makes the results invalid.

You mean like gun nuts do with gun-related polls?  No, I've *never* seen the same poll linked on every gun forum and blog before...

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 02:47:26 PM »
Not like it's Paul's fault the other candidates' supporters can't be bothered to get off their freakin' couches and vote for them...

To vote on some internet poll? Why should they? Not that it necessarily requires getting up from one's seat, of course.

If the disparity is that big in actual primary voting, which actually matters,  then you can go ahead and insult the other guys.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »
You mean like gun nuts do with gun-related polls?  No, I've *never* seen the same poll linked on every gun forum and blog before...

Chris

It's exactly the same.

It's not that it's wrong, it just annoys me for some reason when polls don't reflect the reality that everyone know is true.

On a USA today poll, everyone knows that 99% of the population believes that *insert 2A issue of the month*. Sure it gives gun owners a warm fuzzy feeling. "Yeah, we really kicked ass in the poll." That's stupid.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »
The lead it shows is not huge enough to be accurate.  Especially early on in the poll:

Jocassee and I are talking about the graphic he put in his post. We agree that it's not accurate. I suggested that it may have been done for an innocent and practical reason, and that it still shows Paul with a massive lead. If they were attempting to mislead, they didn't gain much by it, so it just doesn't seem all that likely.

I suppose you could plead incompetence on the part of the web developer, but they would have to be pretty damn incompetent to screw it up this badly.

Also, even if it was a mistake, why hasn't it been corrected?

Now you're talking about a different graphic, which I hadn't seen before. I guess I could assume an impure motive on your part, but I'll hold off on that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:45:18 PM by fistful »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »
Ron Paul: "In your heart you know he's right." 

If we didn't live in a telegenic time he'd be leading the pack.   He's even mostly right on the things that make people most uncomfortable.

R.P.'s candidacy is about one thing, telling us The System can't save us.  No wonder the Establishment hates his guts.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »
Ron Paul: "In your heart you know he's right." 

If we didn't live in a telegenic time he'd be leading the pack.   He's even mostly right on the things that make people most uncomfortable.

R.P.'s candidacy is about one thing, telling us The System can't save us.  No wonder the Establishment hates his guts.

He's not leading the pack?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »

erictank

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »
Is he?

Depends on who you ask, I guess.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »
Is he?

Right? I saw this poll graph somewhere that showed he and Romney were dead even

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
Right? I saw this poll graph somewhere that showed he and Romney were dead even

OK. I was wondering about, ya know, rigorously-conducted polls done by professional polling organizations.

Here's some:
http://www.politico.com/2012-election/presidential-polls/

Ron Paul doesn't do so well there. Maybe there's some other real-world polls where he does better. So if he's at the top of the heap, let's see it.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:10:31 PM by fistful »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 10:55:57 PM »
Ron Paul does well in the "self-selected" online polls.  Not so much in the "near-random selection" polls.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »
Ron Paul does well in the "self-selected" online polls.  Not so much in the "near-random selection" polls.

....as if those polls are "near-random".... ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
Either the polls re Ron Paul's popularity are not accurate, or his supporters don't/can't vote in primaries. At least based on past primary performance, said the man who voted RP in the last primary.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Or more likely : online polls don't gauge popularity as much as they gauge how committed/well-organized the candidate's supporters are.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
It means that Paul supporters, even if they do vote in the primaries, are outnumbered by other voters who didn't vote on the internets. Probably, other campaigns are not placing much significance on internet polls.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 10:07:57 AM »
Or more likely : online polls don't gauge popularity as much as they gauge how committed/well-organized the candidate's supporters are.
....on the internet.  (I think this last phrase was cut off your post)

If they were that organized and smart politically, they might actually accomplish something.  My only experience with them locally in his home county in Texas is that they are loud and have no idea how to win support and gain influence in the local party structure. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »
They did accomplish quite a few things. Not enough, sure, but they did get a few Congressmen and a Senator elected.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
They did accomplish quite a few things. Not enough, sure, but they did get a few Congressmen and a Senator elected.
Are you talking about the tea party stuff or Ron Paul supporters? 

One of the complaints I heard from a local radio guy was that some of these candidates had very poor national and state by state organizations to support their candidacy.  A lot of people talked about Herman Cain a few months back and he pointed out that Cain had no organization and really wasn't campaigning much. 

------------------
My biggest complaint right now is just all the Perry bashing.  He is the front runner so everyone has to bash him over every little thing he has done.  I'm surprised he hasn't caught more flack for carrying a .380 auto instead of a 1911 while jogging.  IMO, I think he is a much more conservative candidate than Romney and likely many of the others.  I guess I already knew about the stuff people are complaining about and it bothers me very little.  I figure all the other candidates have their imperfections if I cared to look.  What I really don't want is some Republican who is known for working with liberal democrats and getting along.  My impression is that Romney fits that mold.  I guess if Romney was ahead, all we would here is about him being a RINO and who knows what else. 

Also, did someone above actually say that Romney was tough on immigration or was that just sarcasm?   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge