Author Topic: WA State Longshoremen: Union Terrorism?  (Read 8092 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
WA State Longshoremen: Union Terrorism?
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/longshoremen-storm-wash-state-port-damage-rr-144921214.html

Is this domestic terrorism?

... or is this akin to certain cold night in Boston, in December of 1773?

From where I stand, reading this:

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that's staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

I call it terrorism.

This is not protest of a government policy.  They are not controlling stockholders of the company in question, being shut out of decision-making-processes that they might have a right to participate in.

They are employees, that have declared their demanded wages to be higher than the company is willing to pay.  They are free to offer their labor elsewhere.  The company has obtained alternate labor from less expensive sources.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: WA State Longshoremen: Union Terrorism?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »
no charges?  why the heck not?
and the union pres needs to get cuffed and stuffed too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
I'm not sure it fits the definition of terrorism.  No political goal, they just want the jobs.  More like old school extorsion, mob style.  "work our way or not at all"

That said:

Six guards were held hostage for a couple of hours after 500 or more Longshoremen broke down gates about 4:30 a.m

cutting brake lines and spilling grain from car at the EGT terminal

One sergeant was threatened with baseball bats

They were led by ILWU International President Robert McEllrath, who said they would return.

Just on general principals, I think they need to arm the security guards and tell them that I'd understand if they were in fear of their life if anyone tried to break down the gate.  Next time, the police should respond to several mags worth of bodies outside the grain terminal fenceline.  If were' going to pretend to be civilized, we can't allow the uncivilized to dictate our behavior.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:58:41 PM »
The International Longshore and Warehouse Union believes it has the right to work at the facility,

Bwahahahahahaha.

no charges?  why the heck not?

Hey don't taze me bro, police is union just like us. we union stick together.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »
I'd be perfectly okay with local PD swat units (multiple... for a total of about 50 officers or more) setting up fixed position LMG emplacements.  

8 SAW's around the perimeter, with roving patrols armed with M4's and a 2 dozen man rapid response team on-site would make short work of a violent mob of 500 people, as long as they were unarmed.

Just on general principals, I think they need to arm the security guards and tell them that I'd understand if they were in fear of their life if anyone tried to break down the gate.  Next time, the police should respond to several mags worth of bodies outside the grain terminal fenceline.  If were' going to pretend to be civilized, we can't allow the uncivilized to dictate our behavior.

However, if they are already at the point of property destruction... I expect many of them are already covertly armed with handguns.  An overt show of force with LMG emplacements and swat units will probably result in the next mob, if they choose to rise to the challenge, will be armed with long guns.  500 poorly trained folks with various long guns will most likely defeat a 50 man force with LMG and automatic weapons.  Depends on how passionate the attackers are for their cause, or how much the defenders want to defend.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
However, if they are already at the point of property destruction... I expect many of them are already covertly armed with handguns.  An overt show of force with LMG emplacements and swat units will probably result in the next mob, if they choose to rise to the challenge, will be armed with long guns.  500 poorly trained folks with various long guns will most likely defeat a 50 man force with LMG and automatic weapons.  Depends on how passionate the attackers are for their cause, or how much the defenders want to defend.

Isn't Blackwater looking for a new employer? >:D

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
Anyone (including other unionistas) who hate NAFTA ought to kick these guys square in the nads.

The a big part of the (unspoken) purpose of NAFTA was to open Mexican and Canadian ports and railways up to avoid the Longshoremen and the exorbitant port fees that supporting their six-figure pay and Cadillac bennies commands here in the U.S.

So the next time a minivan full of Girl Scouts is pancaked by a northbound Mexican 18-wheeler with shot brakes, you can thank the law of Unintended Consequences and the Longshoremen's union.  =|
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »
IIRC, union goons  (mostly coal miners) on the receiving end of hot lead from Thompsons when they went on a violent rampage had as much to do with passage of the 1934 NFA as anything the "official" gangsters were doing in Chicago . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
500 poorly trained folks with various long guns will most likely defeat a 50 man force with LMG and automatic weapons.

Are you serious?

Give me 2 days to set up the premises and I will defend any kind of harbor facility from such a 500-man force. And I am a military-historian, not a soldier. Any APS member with military experience will work out a far better plan than me. A police or milirary professional would do it faster, easier, and cheaper. A 50-man force is probably excessive, even, to use on a gang of rioters.

(the above statement is a technical observation and is probably not applicable due to financial, legal, and insurance realities)
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 03:51:09 AM »
However, if they are already at the point of property destruction... I expect many of them are already covertly armed with handguns.  An overt show of force with LMG emplacements and swat units will probably result in the next mob, if they choose to rise to the challenge, will be armed with long guns.  500 poorly trained folks with various long guns will most likely defeat a 50 man force with LMG and automatic weapons.  Depends on how passionate the attackers are for their cause, or how much the defenders want to defend.

Nah; gun emplacements are easy to armor well beyond the ability of anything up to and including .50BMG.  Just need heavy plate set in the right places with gaps to shoot from.  Even rigging that up with big heavy stuff that's already on site at a railyard shouldn't be too much of a challenge.  Remember that an attacker needs to advance, and thus either needs to carry all his cover or be exposed while moving between existing cover, while a defender is just fine with stuff that's been hoisted into the ideal spot ahead of time.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
Easy simple technical solution:

Sentry turrets.

The device here shown is designed by a Belorussian arms company specifically for the purpose of defending key sites (harbor and electric facilities) from terrorist attack. It's designated A3 (Anti-Armor, Anti-Air, Anti-Terrorist). The turrets are modular, accepting a variety of weapons, and semi-autonomous, controlled/overseen by personnel in a remote command module. I am sure that American ingenuity and free enterprise can contrive a similar, or better, contraption.

It's armored against small arms fire. There's nothing a mob could do to it short of drowning it under the weight of their bodies.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 05:51:28 AM »
Meh....a few snipers in key locations would settle that problem easily....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
Meh....a few snipers in key locations would settle that problem easily....  :cool:

That's another approach; an automated system with rubber bullets or other LTL stuff, backed up by snipers with suppressed rifles in case attackers start using lethal force.  Trying to spot a good sniper who's had time to choose his spot in an industrial environment would make a needle in a haystack easy by comparison.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
Not hearing anything but a loud wet SPLAT as the ringleader's head is turned into a mist would tend to take the wind out of just about any violent mob.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Not hearing anything but a loud wet SPLAT as the ringleader's head is turned into a mist would tend to take the wind out of just about any violent mob.

Indeed. As one of my defensive pistol instructors said (in only half-jest), "Shoot the mouthy one."
:)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »
Didn't the Israelis meet with some success using suppressed .22s on rioting Arabs?

Rock throwing mob, and suddenly a rioter's leg goes out from under him with a little hole in the knee . . . and no idea of where it came from.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 02:11:40 PM »
Azred: I think militarizing cops even further is probably a bad idea. How about we just make it clear that private companies using lethal force against violent mobs is legal and protected?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »
That's another approach; an automated system with rubber bullets or other LTL stuff, backed up by snipers with suppressed rifles in case attackers start using lethal force. 

Lead is cheaper than rubber nowadays.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
Azred: I think militarizing cops even further is probably a bad idea. How about we just make it clear that private citizens using lethal force against violent mobs is legal and protected?

Amended for clarity. =D

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »
IIRC, union goons  (mostly coal miners) on the receiving end of hot lead from Thompsons when they went on a violent rampage had as much to do with passage of the 1934 NFA as anything the "official" gangsters were doing in Chicago . . .

First bombing by Army aircraft was against US citizens, specifically striking workers.

That was then.  Now the unions are the goons, and have govt support.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
They served a purpose once. There needs to be a union, for unions,  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »
They served a purpose once. There needs to be a union, for unions,  =D

Like the guys from the homeless shelter the unions hire to fill in picket lines, as 1099 contractors to get around having to do any witholdings, give any benefits, or pay them minimum wage...  =D
I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
Like the guys from the homeless shelter the unions hire to fill in picket lines, as 1099 contractors to get around having to do any witholdings, give any benefits, or pay them minimum wage...  =D

I started a thread here a while back about a union firing one of its employees for trying to unionize.

Ah, here it is: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=25670.0

:facepalm:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 06:25:10 AM »
This:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

The best defense is making the attackers scream like little bi$&hes.

I want a handheld version for randomly messing with people.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 07:22:31 AM »
Hasn't it failed testing?