Author Topic: NM Gov. - Grandparents Came to US Illegally  (Read 4208 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
NM Gov. - Grandparents Came to US Illegally
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:08:06 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=14473242

"I know they arrived without documents, especially my father's father," the Republican said Wednesday in an interview in Spanish with KLUZ-TV, the Albuquerque Univision affiliate.

OK, let's summarize here:

Grandparents were illegal, and you have coyly avoided answering the question so you would not be called a liar.

But wait, you are a politician, and smooth lying is a required job skill.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: NM Gov. - Grandparents Came to US Illegally
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »
So he's a born U.S. citizen, and the son of U.S. citizens? Why are we caring?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:40:21 AM »
So she's a born U.S. citizen, and the son of U.S. citizens? Why are we caring?

That was my thought. I'm not responsible for the crimes of my grandparents. (Or even my parents.)

Also, Micro, Gov. Martinez is a she.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »
Are the grandparents still illegal?

I work with a guy who used to be illegal, but got legal through one of those past amnesties.  He is a hell of a hard worker with a lot of initiative so I really don't care since he is legal now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »
Are the grandparents still illegal?

I would guess they are dead. I don't think anyone who is dead is breaking immigration laws.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »
That was my thought. I'm not responsible for the crimes of my grandparents. (Or even my parents.)

Also, Micro, Gov. Martinez is a she.

Bah, I was thinking of former governor Johnson.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
My great-great-great-great-grandparents probably came over without any documentation also.   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »
I would guess they are dead. I don't think anyone who is dead is breaking immigration laws.

IDK, Where are they buried?  >:D

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »
My concern is about the dodging and dancing by the governor.

Seems that the rumors and assumptions have been floating for several years.

The irony is her staunch stance against illegal immigration.

At this point, I am just calling out the hypocrisy and lies that we hear from our politicians.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »
her grand parents actions make her a hypocrite? or you believe she knew grandpa's status? i don't know that i ever saw my grandpa's papers and he never ran out on the family.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
My concern is about the dodging and dancing by the governor.

Seems that the rumors and assumptions have been floating for several years.

The irony is her staunch stance against illegal immigration.

At this point, I am just calling out the hypocrisy and lies that we hear from our politicians.

It may be ironic in a sense, but I'm not sure it translates into hypocrisy. Could you explain?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 10:51:55 AM »
The issue isn't whether she's legal it's whether legality matters to her.  The distinction blurs more and more by the day--by design, of course.  The rule of law becomes the ruse of law.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
The issue isn't whether she's legal it's whether legality matters to her.  The distinction blurs more and more by the day--by design, of course.  The rule of law becomes the ruse of law.

....and makes one wonder if the legality of anything should matter to us anymore....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
We seem to be drifting, for better or worse, toward tribal custom and naked power plays.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »

Why should the legality of what her grandparents did matter to her? She's not responsible for it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »
It should matter to her because her job is to uphold the law.  Today.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
It should matter to her because her job is to uphold the law. Today.

This being the key point.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »
the more so since grandpa went out for milk and never came back.  i wonder if she ever even met him.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I