Author Topic: Democrats fear New York, Nevada losses  (Read 2580 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Democrats fear New York, Nevada losses
« on: September 12, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44487529/ns/politics-more_politics/#.Tm5Dn-wpqfs

Democrats are facing the very real possibility that a pair of special elections on Tuesday will shake the foundations of the 2012 political landscape. The party is at serious risk of losing a House race in New York City that few thought would be close, and campaign officials are already close to writing off a Nevada House race they had once hoped to contest.
Very interesting read!

Tomorrow's elections might be quite telling!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Democrats fear New York, Nevada losses
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44487529/ns/politics-more_politics/#.Tm5Dn-wpqfs
Very interesting read!

Tomorrow's elections might be quite telling!

And if they lose, will they learn the lesson?

My bet, no. They brushed off losses in 2009 as due to "poor candidates." Most of them will do the same again, especially Obama.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »
Well, democrat Kate Marshall is the state treasurer.  You can't blame her losing on being a poor candidate. 

"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:42:34 PM »
And I've heard surprisingly little about these elections.    When there was the race in Upstate New York with the Tea Party Candidate, that was in the hourly news cycle for weeks before the election.  Same with all the hoopla about the Wisconsin recall elections, until it became clear that there wasn't going to be a recall.

Solid Democrat seats being lost and it's all "Ho-hum, ignore the man behind the curtain, nothing to see here, move along."

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
And if they lose, will they learn the lesson?

My bet, no. They brushed off losses in 2009 as due to "poor candidates." Most of them will do the same again, especially Obama.
You would be betting on a winner. The article indicated that the NY Dems have been ignoring the race, and sent in $500,000 on Friday, as it ain't looking good at all.
Regardless, I would not want to be telling folks that "Yea, I now have Anthony Weiner's seat".....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:36:43 AM »
Well, the results are in.  Republicans appear to have won both seats; 57-37 in Nevada and 53-47 in NY.

The Nevada results aren't too surprising. District 2 in Northern Nevada (the district that was up for grabs) is strongly Republican and has never elected a Democrat; it's Vegas and the surrounding areas that throw Nevada into the D category every once in a while. Kate Marshal, the Democrat, has conceded.

The Democrat in NY has refused to surrender concede, and looks to be gearing up for some chad counting.   ;/

Thank god it's over (at least here in Nevada).  The election ads were getting annoying (particularly this one, which I thought managed to make senior citizens look like a bunch of entitled whiners, which is the exact opposite I imagine it was going for).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
You beat me to it - yes they did!

Interesting win for NY, though, "Yea, I have Anthony Weiner's seat!".

I would tire of that phrase quickly.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:36:40 AM by Jamie B »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 12:49:43 AM »
Kate Marshall is kind of cute, I never vote D anymore but she was cute in her own way.
Totally psyched about NYC, that it truly amazing.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 06:06:33 AM »
Interesting win for NY, though, "Yea, I have Anthony Weiner's seat!".

Hope he's got a lot of Febreeze.

It's funny how HuffPo was referring to it as a very close race, though.  Last I checked, 6% in a district like that was a pretty decent margin.

And as far as blaming it on a poor candidate, WTF?  They did everything but resurrect a Kennedy to run against an unknown newcomer who makes Abe Vigoda look spry.