Author Topic: Aside from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play.....  (Read 8086 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Aside from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play.....
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Okay, I knew today would be busy.  Made a little tight on the schedule, but hey, I'll go with it.

10am- Appointment with the surgeon who installed the "drain line" in my gut.  "Hey doc, it's still leaking fluid around the hole.  A pinkish/yellowish fluid.  I change the dressing twice a day and it's saturated.  It's sore and tender"   Doc- " Looks fine, Not infected and that's normal, just keep changing the dressing and if it's still leaking in two weeks come into the office and I'll look at it."   =|  Sorry, I don't think I should be leaking.  I like having all my fluids inside me.  I'm funny that way.

11am - Appointment with GP.  Now this will be fun.  See they put me on Steroids when I was in the hospital.  I'm (am/was) supposed to take them for either one or four days after chemo (they couldn't decide), however, these makes my blood sugar go crazy.  (as in the high 300's). They gave me a starter kit with a Freestyle Freedom Lite tester and a weeks worth of strips, finger pokey things and needles.  I used four days worth while in the Hospital.  The day I got out I went to Wal-mart and turned in the prescription "Be about an hour".  So I wandered around W-M for an hour. ;/ (No POW sightings to report).  No my Oncoloigst wrote the script for the Insulsin (Lovemir (sp)) Pen, and the GP wrote one for the testing supplies.  (Right hand meet left hand) Come back an hour later.  "There's a problem, we've called your doc.  Can we reach you at this number?"  Sure, fine, call me when it's ready and I'll come back and get it.  I can go another day or two.  Well next day.  No call, so I call the doc (GP) They have a new call center which is designed so that they never have to actually talk to the patients, because, that's just ooooh ick.  Anyway, I leave a message.  The next day (and yes for those following along, I'm out of test supplies at this point), I get a call from a nurse.  She's not sure where I can get plutonium, but is pretty sure that Walgreens doesn't carry it.  Oh, that's not the message I left. Insulin, Test Supplies, Wal-mart.  Okay, got it now.  She'll call me back.   

She doesn't.

Which puts me in the GP's office at 10:55am, (having filed out the same four forms with all my Insurance info again, for the 87th time this month.  Seriously, it that all some of you do is copy blank forms for me to fill out.  And I'm going to wear my insurance card around my neck from now on.)

My phone rings:

507 area code....  (I live in the 630/312/847/708 area code.  507 I don't recoginize)

"Hello"

"Hi, this is Jamie at the Mayo Clinic Stem Cell Transplant Center.  When can you come in for your transplant?"

Whabbaaawhoba?'

'This is Jamie at the Mayo Stem Cell Transplant Center, we need to schedule your transplant, when can you be here?"

"Wait, what?!?!  Since, Errrrr, ummm, what, hold on.."

Just for clarification, Jamie's tone came across as "If you're not here tomorrow, you will die!! Die!!!! DIE!!!!!."

"Hey, this is news to me.  In fact, I'm literally walking back to the exam room of my GP office's as we speak.  Can I get back to you, because no one has really talked to me about this yet."

"Okay, can I give you a call tomorrow to get this scheduled (again with the if you delay one more second, you will die tone of voice)

"Yes, fine, please."

So now I have even more to discuss with him. 

Starting with the fact that "NONE OF MY DOCTORS ARE *expletive deleted*ing TALKING TO EACH OTHER !!!!   OR *expletive deleted*ing ME FOR THAT MATTER !!!

He trys to go get my oncologist on the phone, but he's not in today.  (Wait, it gets better).  He also can't get my nephrologist. 

He checks with the nurse and the insulin problem is that my insurance doesn't cover this meter/test kit.  (It's crap like this that makes people start taking *expletive deleted*ing hostages.)  So he write a script for a different tester, but give a free sample packet of the "wrong" kind. 
I'm not doing well at this point.  I'm barely able to hold it together.  My world literally just blew up.  And I can tell I'm sucking big wind.  Last week, my hemoglobin was 9.6. Which is bad.  I should get Aranesp when it gets below 10, but because there wasn't an order for it last week, the nurse wouldn't give it to me, (nor did she go check) after I pointed it out to her on my lab results.  "Hey, I'm below 10, I get a shot!!"  When I would walk my heart would be on fire, my leg muscles burned and cramped, not charlie horses, but the muscles cramp and pull so hard and so tight, it feels like they are being ripped off my bones, for minutes at a time.  It's an indescribable pain, a paralying pain.  I can only lay there in pain until it passes.  So physically, this week has sucked.  I'd get dizzy if I moved to fast or climbed up the stairs from the basement.   I couldn't get enough air.

Fed up, I say screw it and head to the Oncologist.  If I can just make it there, I'll get some Aranesp and I'll be able to breathe.  Yeah, I'll just live under the covers until I wake up late Wednesday, but I can see a finish line.  Oncologist, treatment, home, sleep.  Dog, you're on your own for the next day.  I'll leave the back door open for you and feed you when I get up to go to the bathroom

I get settled in and talk to the nurse.  Heather.  G-d takes care of drunks and fools and thus I am dually blessed.  Heather came from Mayo.  She worked in the Stem Cell Transplant Center.   Finally, I ask questions, lots of questions, not enough quesitons.  I need to know what will happen to me, step by step, how it works, where I stay.  Really I'll need a caregiver(s) to be with me for the 100 days I'm up there.  No, it's just me and the dog.  No, I don't have family.  I mean I do, but my parents are in their 80's my mom is deaf and my dad blind, they can barely take care of each other and sometimes my dog.  Yeah, I'm going to have to setup a roster, a schedule, recruit family and friends, I need to call my insurance company, whadda mean I need to rent a place up there for three months, I'm there.  You mean I can't leave?  Come home?  What about after?  A year, really, no sick kids, no sick people, NO HUNTING!?!?! 

I had my fall planned.  Savnnah, Hunting and Camping with my son. Deer Camp, Taking a couple of new people hunting and shooting.  I just wanted to make to December. 

If only I could have made to December. 

No treatment today because with them wanting to schedule a Stem Cell Transplant, you don't know the timing.  *expletive deleted*ck me.

Draw blood.

I said Draw Blood, I want labs done.  I know my hemoglobin is low and I'm hurting.

Please draw blood and check my hemoglobin.  I can't breathe.

They do and comes back 8.8. 

I knew it was really low.

What do you mean you can't give me Growth Factor (Aranesp) if they are going to do a stem cell ? 

They aren't going to do it tomorrow and it I don't get my hemoglobin up, I won't make it to Mayo for a Stem Cell.  Where's Patti (the head nurse)!!!

Patti takes one look at me and says "Give him the shot". 

I get my Aranesp.  I get some answers.  But now I need to find people that can go to Rochester and spend some time with me.   SO if you're not doing anything and want to spend some one-on-one time with yours truly.  I'd love the company.   (I think my insurance company will cover some/most/all of caregiver expenses, but I'll find out when I cal them tomorrow.) 

You won't have to do anything but 1) be there 2) call 911 if needed.

Thanks for reading.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
Re: Aside from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play.....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »
And I'm getting mildly drunk tonight.  I've earned it.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:37:48 PM »
God bless, and hang in there!

PS-

I can't get away myself, being disabled, and having great difficulty walking with a no good knee.
I'll catch my nurse friends in a couple of days, and pick their brains about what you might do to prepare for the assistance by friends, loved ones, caregivers, etc to make tings go as well for you as they can.

These 2 gals are really, really good - one of then is disabled with MS - and are really in tune with what is necessary to do to keep from getting eaten by the system.
Being employed by the system gives them a really good perspective, and they have schooled me many, many times on the best way to navigate doctors, prescriptions, problems, symptoms, insurance companies, SSI, etc.

I'll PM you within a week with suggestions that they may have that might be helpful to you.
If any of it might be helpful I would be pleased to assist any way that I can.
I am sorry that it is not possible to be there to help in person, but I'll check with these gals, and offer prayers for your recovery.

I am sorry that I can not offer more that this.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:50:22 AM by Jamie B »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
And, yes, you have earned it!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:43:17 PM »
Srsly:

1.  Where are you.
2.  What likelihood am I to receive air expenses recompensed.
3.  Is there innernetz access I can use to perform my job functions? (DBA/dev for software company in PHX)
4.  How long do you need someone to keep an eye on you?

Answer ASAP.

Also:  Sports medicine in high school, frequently re-certified in 1st aid, recently certified in wilderness first responder.  Proud owner of cell phone with 911 capability for anything and everything that even remotely escapes my very limited knowledge.

I haz credit cardz, and can fly to wherever quickly.  Just itchy about $500 plane tix with unknown sources of funding for paying the bill.

If you want help... Srsly, let me know.  I'll be there.  I don't know you, but you seem like a great guy and I'd like to know you and help you out if I can.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:06:35 AM »
Seriously.

1.  I'm in Chicago but this would be at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. 
2.  Possible, I'll ask tomorrow.  I'll have family/friends traveling from Indiana, Illinois and other places possibly, so travel expenses is one question I have on my list.
3.  They have Interwebz up there.  ;)
4.  She said 100 days total.  (and I'm sure anyone that would stay confined in Rochester, MN with me for 100 straight days will be putting the pillow over my head, long before day 99.  :P :O

And thank you.  I'll have more answers tomorrow. 

It was just all kind of overwhelming today.  I can already start toliterally breathe a little better.  (doesn't feel like I just finished a marathon, like it has the last couple of days.)

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:11:24 AM »
Scout, keep on fighting!  I just don't know what else to say, except that I'm praying for you.

AZR, bless you for anything you're able to do for Scout.  That's an impressive offer.

I wish I was in a position to do something.  A story for another time: I'm 3 weeks away from taking my wife to UCLA for surgery that the surgeons here are afraid to do.  It's like I'm living an episode of 'House', but with 2 or 3 Dr. Houses involved.  (We've met 2 of them.  They both have better personalities than the House on TV.)

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »
So how was the play, Mary?  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:26:26 AM »
SO if you're not doing anything and want to spend some one-on-one time with yours truly.  I'd love the company.   (I think my insurance company will cover some/most/all of caregiver expenses, but I'll find out when I cal them tomorrow.)

I'll need a Weatherby Accumark for those times when you're occupied, (and a Mark XXII so they won't be paying a fortune for practice ammo) a classic Camaro for transportation, and of course, in order to keep your stress levels as low as possible, we'll need a nice suite at the Mariott.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 12:28:40 AM »
When will you be in Rochester?  (do you have any idea how cold it gets?  but that's mostly in January, maybe you'll be done before then)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:31:59 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »
At first I didn't realize it was Rochester, MN because when I hear "Rochester" I think Rochester, NY.  If it was, I would have hooked you up.  We're about an hour from downtown.

Keep up the fight, man.  It sucks that your docs are all over the place, seems like it's up to you to corral them all.  Gotta be like herding cats.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:16:16 AM »
When will you be in Rochester?  (do you have any idea how cold it gets?  but that's mostly in January, maybe you'll be done before then)

Yes, I was up there in January two or so years ago.  It gets damn cold up there.

Fortunately they have Hab-i-trails between all the buildings, so you never have to go outside.  I mean between all the buildings and many of the hotels downtown.  (We stayed at the DoubleTree, very nice.  Great people there.  All of them.  Whether with the Clinic or not.) 

Oh, I went and shot Trap at Pine Island Sportsman's club when I was up there the second time (not in January).  So there are public ranges there.   

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:24:46 AM »
good luck with your procedure.  hopefully your doctors will manage to get on the same page at some point.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »
Just sent you a text message. Call me when you get a second.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I'm on the phone with my cousin, then I got to call the Insurance Company again. Then go get my son from school.

I'll call you later tonight

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
It really is amazing how they can take your own stem cells, clean them, and re-transplant them.

Imagine if it turned out that Percy Foster was your only viable match in the world.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
I just ran airfare from Manchester- it's way out of what I can afford on unemployment.

That said, if they can get me out there, I can give you a week, maybe two.
One day at a time.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »
I was right about to say "weekends, most weekends, almost any weekend" and then realized Rochester, MN, not Chicago, IL  =|  Fine time for me to get a job.  =|

But if you're up to it with all this going on, and it's a good time otherwise, I'd like to get together with you this Sunday, or next, depending on your schedule.  I kept saying sometime between getting a job and the fall holidays and, well, this be it. 

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »
BR,

I would much rather you have a job, especially, long-term steady work, then hang out with me.  You know that I am very, very, very happy for you.  You need to work and take care of your kids.

Ex-,

I'm asking about travel re-imbursement for caregivers.  United Healthcare may ultimately regret this.....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 12:25:10 AM »
So congratulations on dodging the stem cell deal. I don't want to make your thread political, but I was curious about something. Were these going to be your stem cells, or were they coming from somewhere else? If so, whence would they come?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 01:18:42 AM »
So congratulations on dodging the stem cell deal. I don't want to make your thread political, but I was curious about something. Were these going to be your stem cells, or were they coming from somewhere else? If so, whence would they come?

He was obviously going to pay 14-year-old teen girls to get knocked up and have abortions, much like the Christopher Reeve episode of South Park.  He was just going to gnaw on boxes of fetuses (fetii?). 

Non-sarcastically, I've heard that the best science in regards to stem cells has come from adult stem cells of the actual donor/patient.  The abhorshinned stem cells have been scientifically worthless, so far.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 01:22:44 AM »
They are mine, all mine.

They were "harvested" about two years ago.  (That's a fun process too!!)  They "filtered" them, I guess to get rid of some/many/most/all the bad "cells" and only kept the good ones on ice since then up at Mayo.

And to answer the question you didn't ask.  Not only no, but hell no.  I'd die first before using embryonic stem cells.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 01:35:06 AM »
Wish I could help out.  We have a new baby coming hopefully 2-5 weeks from now.

CNY - Where do you live?  I was born in Rochester, NY (Strong Memorial Hosp) and lived in Penfield/Webster until I was 10.  Went to Plank Rd North Elementary.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 01:42:32 AM »
They are mine, all mine.

Oh, OK, justcuriousthanks

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 02:06:38 AM »
Wish I could help out.  We have a new baby coming hopefully 2-5 weeks from now.

CNY - Where do you live?  I was born in Rochester, NY (Strong Memorial Hosp) and lived in Penfield/Webster until I was 10.  Went to Plank Rd North Elementary.

Auburn
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage