Author Topic: How Government Can Work  (Read 2265 times)

grampster

• friend
How Government Can Work
« on: September 14, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
I've been a trustee and now chairman of our Fire/Rescue Command Board for 20 years and one year respectively.  Our on-call Fire Department serves two townships and a small municipality.

The Fire Command Board consists of 2 members appointed by each government unit and one at-large member appointed by the fire board trustees.  Total of 7.

Twenty years ago, we created the fire district as outlined by state statute.  We had the officers prepare a twenty year plan outlining what equipment was needed, when it needed to be replaced, how much would it cost (best guess), would we need a new engine house and when and a best guess as to cost.  What would we need in the way of training and how would that evolve.  We required them to provide the information in 90 days.  (edited to add:  The volunteer fire department existed prior to this, but had no funding other than voluntary money from the three governments and charges to people who called the FD.  We had a really old pumper, a fairly new pumper and a really old farm manure hauler that had been converted as a water tanker and a lot of old hand me down equipment, and couple of stalls in the old city hall)

Once we had the info, we calculated the millage needed to assess taxpayers from each municipality to fund the line items that we needed to operate in the present year and to budget yearly for the future per the 20 year plan.  We presented the plan to the municipalities along with a budget for the first year and an operating agreement in which the municipalities delegated to the Fire Command Board a good deal of autonomy.

To make a long story short, over the last 20 years per the plan, we put mutual aid agreements in place with surrounding fire departments, purchased a new pumper, a grass fire truck, a tanker, a small truck w/pump to obtain water from creeks, lakes etc to fill the tanker, a river/lake rescue boat, a multipurpose rescue truck with a lighting system for accident and fire scenes, including command center capability and accident scene rescue equipment such as the Jaws of Life, a new 6 bay engine house and meeting area, a training trailer and all sorts of small equipment such as turnout gear, ropes, oxygen/breathing systems and refill equipment, generators etc etc etc.

We paid cash each time we needed an item, large or small.  We have no debt whatsoever, $400,000.00 in the bank as the plan continues to evolve with the completion of a new 10 year plan.  We are in the process of planning the combining of the First Responder EMT (which is now a separate voluntary unpaid group that raises money by donation) into the Fire Department to be included in our assessment district.
We anticipate we can do that with only a 2/10 of a mill increase in the assessment.  

We have been doing this with an assessment that started out at 1.4 mills twenty years ago.  That millage has decreased every year since except for 3 years, two of which stayed the same and one where it increased 1/10 of a mill.  It stands at 0.92 mills now.

This is how government should work.  We have no one to blame but ourselves for the situation we are in, in our cities, states and the federal government.  All that needs to be done is to elect and appoint the proper people.  To do that, our kids need to be schooled properly in government and sociology and history.  And we need to become involved and end the "reign" of arrogant, self centered, anti American bastards that we have put in charge.  We need to start now and by next November be prepared to vote the bastards out and tell those who we replace them with that their terms will be short if they continue to betray us.  It starts at the local level and trickles up.  So get busy, dammit.

End of story and rant.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:54:39 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: How Government Can Work
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
paid or volunteer  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
Paid on call.  Firefighters are classified into three skill groups and the pay starts at $13.00 an hour and is ramped up as their training, time of service and training and skill improves.  Officers are paid a buck more an hour on call than highest fire fighter range.

Most of our firefighters are fully trained state licensed EMT's and are First Responders.  That's why we are figuring how to combine/manage/pay the First Responders.  Nowadays being an on call firefighter/EMT is more of a family life daily commitment.  It's unfair to make the First Responders try and fund their operation by donations and stay independent.  We are evolving as a community and the needs are more defined.   
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:24:22 PM »
Bravo.

And you know the most important feature of that entire story?

It is a LOCAL government. The founders were very wise to grant very few powers to the federal government as a distant government is not very accountable. As more and more of the functions that should be done by localities have been taken over by the federal government, we have suffered.

If the local government has power, people will pay attention and hold them accountable. If the federal government has power, whether or not people pay attention, a single voice has no effect. Thus most people don't even pay attention.

This has a side effect of stripping power from localities so that where people can have an effect, they don't care because the local governments don't really have much to care about. So accountability falls everywhere.

Yay, centralized government!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
The county sent us a person who was from Homeland Security.  She told us we were "required" to attend a school about running a fire department if we expected to ever get a "federal grant".

We told her we knew more about running a fire department than the bureaucrat mopes that were supposed to "educate" us.  We politely advised her to get the hell out of the engine house and that we won't ever need a "federal grant" anyway.  She wasn't happy, but we were.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »
I think it was Ben Franklin that said something to the effect of "It will only last as long as never learn to vote themselves money from the public treasury."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »
Something like 98% of all the FDs in Montana are unpaid volunteers.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
I think it was Ben Franklin that said something to the effect of "It will only last as long as never learn to vote themselves money from the public treasury."

Pretty sure that was Voltaire.

No offense, gramps, but in essence your 7 member board decided to force taxpayers into a system where they must pay into it regardless of use or risk.  You're right about "how government works". It works through force.

Eta:  I appreciate, though, that your department strives to not be indebted, to provide the service you say you will, and to not be dependent on those agencies "above" you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:29:16 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »
We didn't "force" anything onto the tax payers in the fire district.  The public was asked if they wanted to do what we were proposing.  Two public hearings were held when the district was created.  The meetings were held at times when the largest amount of people could attend.  We filled a gym two nights.  Everyone who attended agreed with the plan.   A public notice is sent out every year advising what the millage will be for the year to come and a public hearing is held by the two townships and the city.  Our quarterly meetings are open to the public. 

Nearly everyone who has a homeowner insurance policy actually saves more money in insurance premiums than what the fire assessment is each year.  That's some force, eh?
The fire department's insurance ranking improved by what we did, causing rates to decrease.

The firefighters and EMT's all live and pay the assessment within the fire district.  The combining of the EMT First Responder will take a year of planning and information to the public.  The public will be kept apprised of the planning and can speak their mind on an internet web sight created for that purpose.  Eventually, two public hearings will be held before we make the move.  We will keep the budgets separate for at least 5 years to make sure that the projections on the costs associated with the First Responder pan out.  If the yearly budget is spent before the year is up, First Responders will no longer be paid, and they know that and have agreed to it.

"No offense, gramps, but in essence your 7 member board decided to force taxpayers into a system where they must pay into it regardless of use or risk.  You're right about "how government works". It works through force."

The notion that all government is bad, is tiresome.  Ben Franklin said it best.  He said when asked if they had given us a democracy.  He said, "No madam, we gave you a Republic, if you can keep it."  We are doing a very good job of keeping it here where I live.  Certainly government works by force.  How could it be otherwise?  The trick is to elect those who understand why and how that force is applied.  There is a guidebook.  It needs to be followed.  The only way we "keep it" as Franklin said, is to start at the local level and make it work and be sure the "guidebook" is followed.  A Republic will continue to live when we begin to take it back again starting at the bottom and working up.  I'm helping with that on several local and county boards, with some decent effect.  Are you doing anything??

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
My apologies, because that is how its supposed to work

We didn't "force" anything onto the tax payers in the fire district.  The public was asked if they wanted to do what we were proposing.  Two public hearings were held when the district was created.  The meetings were held at times when the largest amount of people could attend.  We filled a gym two nights.  Everyone who attended agreed with the plan.   A public notice is sent out every year advising what the millage will be for the year to come and a public hearing is held by the two townships and the city.  Our quarterly meetings are open to the public. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
I don't mind so much paying property taxes for stuff like fire suppresion and roads.

It's all the other stuff that bothers me  :mad:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »
My apologies, because that is how its supposed to work

Ah, that's ok, Jamis.  I get a bit prickly about how we run the FD because we are doing it the way it is supposed to work.  The shame of it is that nowadays we tend to be automatically cynical about government.  That cynicism is well deserved in some cases, but not in all.

TP, I'm bothered in the same way.  The solution to our present economic problems are probably a bit more complicated that we'd like, but if our .fedgov would revolutionize our tax policy for the 21st century realities and unburden most corporations and business from draconian regulation, our economic powerhouse would crank up almost overnight.  The trouble is that the elected officials know this and don't want to do it for some reason; maybe self enrichment and power?  The bigger problems are the regulatory bureaucrats.  They seriously need to be job eliminated.  If I had a choice between letting an employee go who was in a private sector job and a regulatory bureaucrat, there would be no hesitation on who goes.

I have always believed that corporations and businesses should not be taxed at all.    Businesses don't pay taxes in reality anyway.  They pass them along to consumers.  The marketplace would soon weed out or pressure businesses that failed to pass along the lack of taxes in prices and quality.