Author Topic: Pro sports: soon to meet a decline in ticket sales.  (Read 3139 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Pro sports: soon to meet a decline in ticket sales.
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:50:26 PM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/09/nfl-orders-ankles-up-frisks-for-16-million-fans-enterting-stadiums-security-buffalo-bills/1?loc=interstitialskip

I'm not a football fan, so won't impact me one way or another.  But I do go to a couple hockey games a year, and maybe a baseball game or three.

I won't if I get to get patted down by private security.  I'm already pizzy that I can't carry my fracking pocket knife to baseball games (though I still can to hockey games) due to magnetometers.  If a pat-down comes with the magnetometers... I'll spend my money on other forms of recreation where the pat-down is more enjoyable.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: Pro sports: soon to meet a decline in ticket sales.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
A friend who is from NYC, and lives in Clearwater, went home last year to take the family to a Yankees game.
After 6 tickets, parking, and food, he was out close to $700.
Absolutely ridiculous.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
Almost all pro sports are to expensive for my tastes.  If I can watch it on TV then I will, if not meh.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
I'll spend my money on other forms of recreation where the pat-down is more enjoyable.
Reminds me of my favorite Clint Eastwood movie......
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
A friend who is from NYC, and lives in Clearwater, went home last year to take the family to a Yankees game.
After 6 tickets, parking, and food, he was out close to $700.
Absolutely ridiculous.
You could probably see an Astros game a whole lot cheaper than that with the same stuff.  But it is the Astros.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »
I can go to Denver Broncos games for free.  We take in our own food and non alcoholic drinks.  I usually drive so I shouldn't be drinking alcohol anyway.  The seats are pretty good, no one sits in front of us.  I'd still rather sit at home and watch it on TV, especially when its -5 and snowing.

If anyone wants to go to a game in Denver, let me know and I'll see if there are available tickets.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
You could probably see an Astros game a whole lot cheaper than that with the same stuff.  But it is the Astros.

Lastros!  We got  hooked up with free tickets from the ANG, so I took my son.  Nosebleed section.  Snacks and parking and we were out almost $70....just for me and the boy  :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
Haven't been to a MLB game in 10 years.  Same for NFL.

If I want to see pro sports, I go to the minor leaguers.  But, I usually just watch the team of the HS my kids will eventually attend.  Cheaper, I know some of the other folks, and the concessioneers still know how to make a decent frito pie.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:34:36 PM »
So is this because a guy had as stun gun in a stadium or something else?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
I see more and more empty seats in stadiums and arenas. But I don't see ticket prices dropping to fill the empty seats.

I don't go to many sporting events unless I get a free ticket. I already pay special stadium sales taxes so the billionaire owners get a place to get richer. They don't get any more money from me.   

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »
I haven't been to an MLB baseball game in over 15 years . . . and THAT was only because I had free tickets.

Football? Nope. Especially since it seems to me that the officials have been overtly picking winners and losers with their calls . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 01:01:30 AM »
This probably makes a difference to some people who have lower standards or higher oppression tolerance, but pro sports stadiums have already been off-limits to me for as long as I can remember, because of the 'security' rules that have already been in place.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine