Author Topic: I think I cut my hands grasping that sharp commentary...  (Read 2466 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I think I cut my hands grasping that sharp commentary...
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »
http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/blog/item/you-keep-using-that-word--i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means

I was inconvenienced for a few years, but am doing better, these days.  I know how good I have it.  I suspect many who have it good or are currently inconvenienced do not realized just how good we have it.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: I think I cut my hands grasping that sharp commentary...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:18:43 PM »
lots of painful truth there
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
Yup.

Michael Z. Williamson As an immigrant, I get REALLY ticked off at Americans whining about "poverty" that involves cell phones, microwaves, AC and cars.

I've pointed that out to my "poor" sister. It usually nets me a blissful month or so of "I'm never going to talk to you again"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
Yeah, back when we were living in an 8x28 trailer, hauling water from a spring, using an out-hole, and eating beans from a 50# sack* along with potatoes from the dump** - I recognized that we were living better than at least half the world.  =)

* something like ten bucks back then direct from the farm - best pinto beans I ever tasted because they were actually fresh instead of stored in a warehouse for god knows how many years

** not as bad as it sounds: it seems the stores can't sell too large or misshapen taters, so the farmers haul dumptruck loads of them to the edges of the landfill where all the tree limbs, etc get dumped.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
Quote from: Tallpine and his old beard
** not as bad as it sounds: it seems the stores can't sell too large or misshapen taters, so the farmers haul dumptruck loads of them to the edges of the landfill where all the tree limbs, etc get dumped.

What a freaking waste. :(

The guy behind my uncle has a large sweet tater field.  I was horrified to see how many taters get left behind by the mechanized harvesters.  Several of us walked around the first 20' or so of field bordering my uncle's property and pick up 50-60lbs of sweet taters (with landowner's permission, uncle was already raiding the leftovers).

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
They harvest sweet taters? Whatever for? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »
Having lived near, but not in, some of the nastier places in the world, I concur with all of the above.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »
I've pointed that out to my "poor" sister. It usually nets me a blissful month or so of "I'm never going to talk to you again"

Did she delete you from her iPhone's contact list while driving her H3 or while watching her HDTV?

I remember fighting the temptation to buy pork and beans with my last $2 because I could get a week's worth of ramen noodles with that instead of two days' worth of beans.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 11:10:46 PM »
that's a sweet looking pistol there, anyone know what kind? a Ruger maybe?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:21:17 PM »
that's a sweet looking pistol there, anyone know what kind? a Ruger maybe?

Colt, back when they made sweet revos.  Likely a blued Python.  Colt had some spectacular blue & stainless jobs.

I wish Colt would get back into that game, because Taurus, Charter, and Ruger just can't compete with S&W for making sweet revos.  Oh, Ruger makes a reliable enough wheel-gun, hella strong too, but they sure are butt ugly. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
Remember that young Filipino women knowingly prostitute themselves to wealthy Arabs for $50/week, and clean house, cook and wash as well, because it will help their families.  THAT is poor.

Having watched that Arab beat the girl bloody in the street while I fingered an M9 and contemplated the term "international incident" let me just say.......I agree completely with that blog.  Not to look down on anyone's struggles, but I've traveled a lot, and hadn't seen poverty until I left America.