Author Topic: The Raggedy Edge  (Read 9118 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Raggedy Edge
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
This TEOTWAWKI book popped up on my Amazon recommendations. Who thinks the author is a Firefly fan? :)

The Raggedy Edge
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The Raggedy Edge
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
Bought.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
Yeah, for $2.99, me too. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
The term "The Raggedy edge" predates Firefly by many decades, may centuries.

Oh, and I bought the book as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:29:39 PM »
The term "The Raggedy edge" predates Firefly by many decades, may centuries.

Oh, and I bought the book as well.

I thought that was "the ragged edge". I hadn't heard "raggedy edge" until Serenity.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
Yeah, for $2.99, me too. :)

Yup, me too...should be done tomorrow sometime, I'll post a short review

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 10:01:53 PM »
I thought that was "the ragged edge". I hadn't heard "raggedy edge" until Serenity.

Same here. One of you with some extra time should google that phrase for us.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »
Also in keeping with my standard posting modus operandi, I'm veering my own thread. Buying "The Raggedy Edge" got me The Old Man and the Wasteland as another recommendation. For $0.99, I bought that one too.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »
Finished. 
My review is "eh"
For the genre, it seemed to combine plot elements from all the other more famous books (patriots, lights out, etc) and left me with a "that's it?  That's the end of the book?" feeling at the end...a plot really doesn't develop.

For $2.99, it's fine.  I wouldn't pay more.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
I finished another book and just started it. I saw in the reviews that it ended "abruptly".  So far the story is fine for light reading, and yeah, $2.99 makes it not a big deal. My biggest gripe so far is that he should have gotten himself an editor. The grammar and typos are interrupting the story for me.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »
I noticed that just reading the prologue on Amazon. Sometimes you just have to turn off your inner red pen Ben.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »
I noticed that just reading the prologue on Amazon. Sometimes you just have to turn off your inner red pen Ben.

Also my outer one, because that stuff doesn't come off the Kindle screen.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
Also in keeping with my standard posting modus operandi, I'm veering my own thread. Buying "The Raggedy Edge" got me The Old Man and the Wasteland as another recommendation. For $0.99, I bought that one too.

Funny enough, I'd already downloaded, but not yet read it.  Reading Red Right Return now.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »

Also, the tech mentioned in the prologue doesn't appear in the book....the denizens of the sleepy burg literally have no idea (or they don't talk aboutit or mention it in any way) about the national political situation (or anything outside of their town really) other than a single mention of a coup.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »
Funny enough, I'd already downloaded, but not yet read it.  Reading Red Right Return now.

Thought that might be a boating book for a minute. Oh well.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »

More aviation and locale centric.  Got any good nautical centric adventures to throw out there?  Let me recommend Castigo Cay by Bracken.
JD

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 11:25:50 PM »
Baen Books has a free sampler for 2011 which includes two short stories by Larry Correia, one in the MHI universe and one in the Grimnoir universe.

http://www.webscription.net/p-1387-free-short-stories-2011.aspx
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
Red Right Return was a good light read.  A little hard to follow with some charchater and plot twists, but nothing too thought provoking.
JD

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Same thought I had. "Red, right, returning" was one of the first things Grandad taught me about boating.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »
Finished the raggedy edge.
Decent read, lots of places where the protagonist left me asking Why the heck not? and WTF?
Just about the time it should have kicked into high gear and  got exciting the author used 2 words to reallly screw things up

THE END.

Should have been the end of book one or some such. Maybe a sequel in the works?
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
More aviation and locale centric.  Got any good nautical centric adventures to throw out there?  Let me recommend Castigo Cay by Bracken.

Meh. Been bored with nautical centric books lately. Just not enough adventure unless you get into the old classics we've all read already. No one writes good boat adventure stories anymore. Hmmm... No. Working on something else at the moment.

Anyway, last two I read were "The Proving Ground" by G. Bruce Knecht, true story about the Hobart race (Australia to Tasmania) where weather takes a bad turn, lot of boats lost.

Other was "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton which was so memorable I can't recall what it was about.

If you have any that are set in this century, please share.

On a side note, I re-read Alas, Babylon over the weekend, first time in over 20 years. The smell of old book was pleasant. Story wasn't quite as good as I recalled it being. I do see why I kept it on my shelves all these years, but so much more could have been done with it as far as fleshing out the details of how they survived. Also interesting to consider the world view from 1959 as opposed to how we think about that time frame now.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »
I wrote a tongue in cheek book for my kids called the Barnacles of Chronia*, then I wrote a couple sequels and a prequel.  Never published any of them.

A couple kids are out in a fog in a dingy and meet up with a 17th Century ship with a nutty captain and a paranoid crew.  Lots of nautical puns.  :lol:

* apologies to CS Lewis  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 08:04:17 PM »
Tallpine, would you consider posting them somewhere and letting us nauty types read them?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 10:50:26 PM »
Blah.   Book is a softer and more boring version of Patriots.   That's bad because Patriots sucked.

It is almost but not quite the right wing version of The Road.   Cower in angst and get whiny when someone is productive.  The average Post Apocalyptic Enterprises employee probably wouldn't bayonet the lot of them, but would be disgusted.  Probably would point raiders in their direction, though.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »
This is not naughtical, and has been mentioned in previous threads, but I have to mention A Canticle For Leibowitz for those who haven't read it yet.  This is one of my favorite books evah!

Don't take my word for it, read what others have to say here: http://www.amazon.com/Canticle-Leibowitz-Walter-Miller-Jr/dp/0060892994/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316488747&sr=1-1

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.