Author Topic: The Raggedy Edge  (Read 9119 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: The Raggedy Edge
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »
Tallpine, would you consider posting them somewhere and letting us nauty types read them?

I might send you the files if you promise not to publish them  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
I would only do that with your permission! I'll pm you my email address.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
My posted review:

Actually, imagine if James Wesley Rawles' book "Patriots" and the move "The Road" had a boring red headed stepchild. That would be this book. Only toss in a club foot and narcolepsy. Maybe a stutter.

Nothing really happens in the book other than a town burning, a very small number of people being shot or beaten and a former cop doing routine daily tasks. You would think a town burning to the ground would provide excitement, it does not. Even a small number of folks being shot could be an exciting novel. Nope. Majority of the book is centered around an unremarkable husband and wife pair. A unremarkable police officer and an unremarkable nurse. Nothing is wrong with either. Both seem likely mildly decent folks I wouldn't mind having for neighbors.

You'd think such a boring book wouldn't manage to make me cringe at times. You'd be wrong. The token single mother is apathetic towards her children, a sexual deviant (still does not spice up the story) and a traitor. I'm guessing this character was added because the author knew someone similar, or wanted to make a statement that single mothers are obviously harlots that deserve social scorn. The author has some passive aggressive anger towards the "War on Christmas", by taking a daring stand against the use of the word "Solstice" in a breath taking display of defiance towards the Political Correctness Gestapo. Only... Well, no one uses the term "solstice" except astronomers, pagans and ... well, no one else. The evil villains of the story are folks that preach tolerance, which is a codeword for fascist oppressors of true religion. Who don't really seem to do anything other than beat up some old dude.

The ending was bad. Just plain bad. Like, "rocks fall from sky, everyone dies" bad. "And then magically everything was okey-dokey because the magic unicorns descended from the sky, on rainbows, to end famine with candy and end strife by curb stomping anyone that is religiously tolerant" would have been an equally gripping and logical ending.

If you're left leaning, you'll find this book to be blatantly partisan and not so mildly insulting. If you're right leaning, you'll be wondering what the heck the point of the story was. If you're a gun nut, you'll be angry at the lack of gratuitous gun pr0n (instead of an unnamed assault rifle it'd be a "BOHICA lower with operator-grade internals and a Novaske custom upper vacuum forged inside the fires of Mordor itself, plus a MagPul stock and forward grip". If you're a survival nut, you'll ram your head into a wall to spare yourself from the wondering how an entire town could feed itself for months by "raiding empty houses" as most houses barely have food for two weeks and the majority of it would go bad without electricity. Military folks will roll their eyes at the "teh Army was just drooling to take over the entire country and kill all the citizens through starvation and randomly machinegunning civilians" aspect.

Honestly, I finished the book because I was waiting for the good part to begin. It didn't. Just like the movie "The Road", there is no story and no point. It is just X hours of your life. That you will never, ever get back. Those precious hours you could have spent nursing a sick puppy or kitten back to health, curing cancer or most importantly, slow cooking bacon to absolute crispy perfect? Gone. Forever. I advise you to not buy the book and donate the proceeds instead to your nearest dealer of fermented beverages.

Lights Out is actually pretty good too if you're looking for something post-apocalyptic.

(Be sure to recommend the review on Amazon)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 01:09:32 AM »
I've got snark dripping out of my monitor....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 05:08:10 AM »
RevDisk, with one exception you nailed it dead center.
The assault rifle is ID'd as an M16.

I pretty much gave up hope when the cop decided it would be best to leave his weapon at home when he went to confront the people that had kidnapped his wife.  :facepalm:

I'm kind of wondering if the author isn't a 14 year old Canadian girl.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »
"Other was "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton which was so memorable I can't recall what it was about."

I found a copy of that in the bargain bin at Hastings. Agreed. Waste of time.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 01:38:13 PM »
Note to self: do not ask Rev to write a review for my book.

Jk!

Agreed about Lights Out. Writing was a little ... difficult at times, and I wasn't too thrilled with the main character's 50s-era view of marriage, but the plot and premise were good.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »
Note to self: do not ask Rev to write a review for my book.

Jk!

Agreed about Lights Out. Writing was a little ... difficult at times, and I wasn't too thrilled with the main character's 50s-era view of marriage, but the plot and premise were good.

Been a looooong time since I read Light's Out, so I don't remember it clearly. I'm curious what you are referring to here. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
Been a looooong time since I read Light's Out, so I don't remember it clearly. I'm curious what you are referring to here. :)

The main character (can't remember his name & haven't unpacked the books yet) had been married to his wife for 20 years or so, but seemed to have no real understanding of how she thought, her motivations, or who she really was as a person. Based on his comments/thoughts about her, he saw her as little more than an extension of himself and the mother of their children rather than an individual in her own right. (50s era mentality) In the scene when she was in training with Gunny, he expected her to fail. How can you be married to someone for 20 years and have no real understanding of their grit, their determination, or their driving motivations? He was adapting to changes within himself with regard to his worldview, yet seemed to expect her to remain unchanged by the events they were enduring. Simply no comprehension of her as an individual. I also didn't like how rather than asking her what was on her mind, he assumed that she was being manipulative of various situations to get what she wanted. Whether she was or wasn't, various disagreements could have been headed off at the pass simply by discussing them with her. He instead chose the stoic silent route (because you can't reason with a woman) and caused himself much more grief over it.
He may have been a good leader in the community, but the disparity over how he lead his peers vs. how he "lead" in his own home made the author seem like he didn't really have a good understanding of the male/female dynamic himself.

Just my .02.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:40 PM »
The main character (can't remember his name & haven't unpacked the books yet) had been married to his wife for 20 years or so, but seemed to have no real understanding of how she thought, her motivations, or who she really was as a person. Based on his comments/thoughts about her, he saw her as little more than an extension of himself and the mother of their children rather than an individual in her own right. (50s era mentality) In the scene when she was in training with Gunny, he expected her to fail. How can you be married to someone for 20 years and have no real understanding of their grit, their determination, or their driving motivations? He was adapting to changes within himself with regard to his worldview, yet seemed to expect her to remain unchanged by the events they were enduring. Simply no comprehension of her as an individual. I also didn't like how rather than asking her what was on her mind, he assumed that she was being manipulative of various situations to get what she wanted. Whether she was or wasn't, various disagreements could have been headed off at the pass simply by discussing them with her. He instead chose the stoic silent route (because you can't reason with a woman) and caused himself much more grief over it.
He may have been a good leader in the community, but the disparity over how he lead his peers vs. how he "lead" in his own home made the author seem like he didn't really have a good understanding of the male/female dynamic himself.

Just my .02.

Or maybe he did, considering many relationships sound exactly like that.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
Oddly enough, Ladypine has become something of a Ron Paul activist  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »

Just my .02.
You have just described my marriage.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »
I wasn't too thrilled with the main character's 50s-era view of marriage...

But the wives were so happy back then, vacuuming with the pearls on. Haven't you seen Leave It To Beaver? Sheesh.

Yeah, I know. Shouldn't try to reason with a woman...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
You poor men.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
Me, I'll be out on the porch in my rocking chair, sipping some whiskey and listening to Gillian Welch...and keeping my mouth shut. My dog will be looking up at me and nodding wisely.
:)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »
Some people say dogs aren't as smart as humans, because they can't talk. I think they're smarter than us, because they don't.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I think I should explain my comment "That's my marriage" in a little more depth.

The main character (can't remember his name & haven't unpacked the books yet) had been married to his wife for 20 years or so, but seemed to have no real understanding of how she thought, her motivations, or who she really was as a person.
Is there any man that understands or even thinks to understand how a woman thinks.  I could never understand my wife's spending compulsion.  I'm hard wired as a saver (child of children of the depression).  If you want something, you tucked away your pennies and then when you had enough, you go buy it.  Not my wife, "I deserve it NOW".  so it got put on a credit card.  So there were constantly fights about money, simply because we approached it differently.  

Based on his comments/thoughts about her, he saw her as little more than an extension of himself and the mother of their children rather than an individual in her own right. (50s era mentality) In the scene when she was in training with Gunny, he expected her to fail. How can you be married to someone for 20 years and have no real understanding of their grit, their determination, or their driving motivations?
Two parts to this.  I tried to work with my wife as team to solve problems, she however looked upon *me* as the problem (because I would say "No") and I became the enemy.  If I said "We need to sit down and discuss that one of the children misbehaved and a plan to correct the behavior", I became the bad guy , because I was pointing out a problem, and I had to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that what I alleged had occurred.  It became "Family Court", with my wife sitting as judge, me as prosecuting attorney, and the child as defense.  Treated as at least an equal (and in many cases superior) to the parent.
The second part is that she was (and is) worthless in crisis.  When one of the kids would come in crying with blood on a elbow or knee, she would start shrieking and screaming. The child, who up to this point had merely been whimpering, would begin to scream and cry (if Mom is panicking, it must be BAD !!!) and now I'd have two people, one bleeding, but both screaming and shrieking, and no one is doing anything to solve the problem (patch the wound).  I'm sorry, I was taught that no matter how bad it is, you calm and reassure the patient that they'll be fine, while you apply first aid and assess their condition.  Running around like a chicken with your head cut off, does no one any good.  So I'm sorry I told you to STFU, but I can't clean and bandage a cut, with you screaming in my ear.  

He was adapting to changes within himself with regard to his worldview, yet seemed to expect her to remain unchanged by the events they were enduring. Simply no comprehension of her as an individual. I also didn't like how rather than asking her what was on her mind, he assumed that she was being manipulative of various situations to get what she wanted.
Ahh, that's because she was constantly trying to manipulate the situation to get her way.  While I played straight up and honest, she took every last dime from me.

Whether she was or wasn't, various disagreements could have been headed off at the pass simply by discussing them with her. He instead chose the stoic silent route (because you can't reason with a woman) and caused himself much more grief over it.
I was damned if I did, damned if I didn't.  And often it was simply easier to shut up and be wrong, then to open my mouth and be wrong.  I often just didn't have the energy to fight (she loved to fight, and often tried to goad me into it.  Far too often I would fall for it).   When you don't want to hear what I have to say, don't get mad when I don't say it.

Just my .02.
True.  And for quite awhile I was ashamed that my marriage had failed.  Despite all the effort I had put into it. (all times I begged her "What do you want me to do?  "What can I do different?", "Tell me what you want from me?"  I would get bull*expletive deleted* answers like "I want you to care for me more."  or "I want you to love me more."  What the *expletive deleted* does that mean?  It means that I'm not doing something or enough of something, therefore all the problems in our marriage are MY fault.  So I'll pick up more of the slack in chores, I was working 50-60 hours a week, cooking dinner 5-6 nights a week, doing all the laundry, taking care of all of the outside of the house lawn, trees, bushes, leaves, etc. taking the kids and disappearing 3 out of 4 Sunday afternoons so she could have time to herself.  I didn't drink, smoke or hang out in bars or with friends. And yet still no matter what I did, it simply wasn't enough for her.  She had decided that she didn't like me shortly after we got back from Germany because I wasn't a "good provider" (apparently she just wanted to stay home and not work.)  Since she could not do that, it was my fault and she was going to make me pay.  

And I did. for 22 years.

And for about 6 months I felt guilty.

And then I realized that I had put 110% into my marriage.  I had nothing to be ashamed of.  And now that she is gone, my finances have stabilized, I can do what I want when I want, even though she calls, texts and e-mails trying to control me;  Non est dominus ad me.

So now.   Now.  I am a free man.  I'm working with her father to resolve the house issue (I want it and her off the mortgage and deed, etc.), but she's not going to stick me with the 2nd mortgage we took out to pay off credit card debt she ran up.

I will do my best to enjoy the rest of the time I have left with my family and friends (including the ones here in the magic box).

I'm sorry what was the question again?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:51:54 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I think I should explain my comment "That's my marriage" in a little more depth.

And then I realized that I had put 110% into my marriage.  I had nothing to be ashamed of.  And now that she is gone, my finances have stabilized, I can do what I want when I want, even though she calls, texts and e-mails trying to control me;  Non est dominus ad me.

So now.   Now.  I am a free man.  I'm working with her father to resolve the house issue (I want it and her off the mortgage and deed, etc.), but she's not going to stick me with the 2nd mortgage we took out to pay off credit card debt she ran up.

I will do my best to enjoy the rest of the time I have left with my family and friends (including the ones here in the magic box).

I'm sorry what was the question again?

No question. Your wife was/is a prime example of the problem - the one that gives the rest of us a bad name. I'm not even going to offer any platitudes or alternatives you may have tried. I don't really think it would have helped you to "understand how she grew up" or to "listen to her" or to "have a civil and open discussion." Some women, some men - hell, some people, are only happy if they're bringing everyone around them down to their own level of misery. Be glad you got out David and that you can enjoy your time now.

Me, I'll be out on the porch in my rocking chair, sipping some whiskey and listening to Gillian Welch...and keeping my mouth shut. My dog will be looking up at me and nodding wisely.
:)

If we can shoot at passing deer, that sounds perfect.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
If we can shoot at passing deer zombies, that sounds perfect.

FTFY.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
If we can shoot at passing deer, zombies, and hippies that sounds perfect.

Now it's fixed.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 08:16:30 PM »
Now it's fixed.

I'm in.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
Now it's fixed.

(happy sigh)

Scout, if you don't mind me asking...  What made you stay? 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
Now it's fixed.

(happy sigh)

Scout, if you don't mind me asking...  What made you stay?  

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but probably once he realized the situation, he stayed for the kids.  I am new to the parenthood thing, but I know that my wife and I would do anything for our son.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »
Now it's fixed.

(happy sigh)

Scout, if you don't mind me asking...  What made you stay? 

"Do you Scout26 take this woman, to be your wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part?" 
"I do". 
I had made a Solemn Vow. Given my Word.  Sworn an Oath.  Made a Promise.

2.  Kids.  Kids need parents.  I thought that having two parents (the way I grew up) was the way to do it.  Her parents had divorced and she had issues with her father.  I think some of that was transferred to me.

3.  Then about about two months before she left she asked me what I feared most.  "Dying alone" I answered.  Yeah, should have guessed on that one.

But I am happy now.  My life is mine.  I get my son often (not as much as I want but frequently).   It's good.  It's real good.   

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.