Poll

What do you have?

Free TV, but No Netflix.
Netflix, but No Dish/Cable or Free TV
Dish/Cable, but No NetFlix.
Dish/Cable & Netflix
What is this TV of which you speak?

Author Topic: Entertainment TV  (Read 1019 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Entertainment TV
« on: September 19, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
There's been discussion about Netflix and Redbox and Dish vs Comcast vs Direct TV.  I'm just wondering what everyone has.

A little over a year ago (5 Sep to be precise) the WINO packed up and moved out.  Looking back, it was the happiest day of my life.  And yes, like in True Lies she took the ice cube trays(1) and the DirectTV satellite receiver.

At the time I toted up my bills and figured out that I had in order to meet my bills, there was no room in the budget for TV, cable or otherwise.  (There were other things that were cut as well and it took me about 6 months to get things right.)  Now there's a little extra in the budget each month.

Yet, I have no desire to get the TV hooked up.  I simply don't miss it.  I don't have Netflix.  Or a Wii, Playstation or other video game thingamabobs.  Have never done Redbox (I've seen it at Wal-mart).  Occasionally I'll get a movie from the library, but that's it.  

I've got AT&T for my DSL hookup, but that's it.  

So what do you have?

(1) No, she seriously did.

etc: It was DirectTV we had, not Dish Network

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:32:29 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Entertainment TV
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »
When I was single and living alone, I just had OTA TV stations.  I managed to maintain that for the first few years of marriage, but Manassas is a loooong way away from the majority of transmitting towers and I live in an aluminum siding clad TH.  Even with a huge antenna and amp in the attic, I wasn't getting many clear stations.  Around 2003ish, I got Dish Network, then switched to FIOS around 2008.  Been with FIOS for TV and Internet since (hard to break free with three other TV consumers in the house).  I added Netflix earlier this year and have enjoyed using it to re-watch old movies I saw as a kid and some newer stuff as well.

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:28:42 PM »
I got one of those digital TV converter boxes with the coupon a few years ago, and when they finally switched to digital I went from a half dozen stations to one. It's still connected to the antenna in the attic, but I should probably turn it on sometime just to see if it still works.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 05:38:46 PM »
Cable and netflix.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »
I don't have television service, a television, or netflix.

About the only thing I watch is Dr Who, and I do that via my computer.

When it comes to evening entertainment, I'd prefer to be reading.  Usually on my computer (web pages are free), but sometimes I'll pick up a book if it strikes my fancy.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »
Comcast combined cable/phone/internet because where I am it is actually the least expensive option.  Yes, I went with the lowest tier of "premium" channels in oder to get the 2 movie channels I spend the most time on.

I considered going back to Netflix for movies but the 'puter monitor is small and the chair not all that comfortable, as opposed to be box in the other room and my recliner.  It is a luxury, but at present I can manage it in the monthly budget.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
We have a netflix account, but we may reconsider that with all the wonky changes. Only real use it gets is my wife watching stuff while she works out in the morning.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
DirecTV basic pkg + the outdoor stuff added on....and I have too much DVR'd to keep up with....mostly shooting shows & crime dramas....and Burn Notice & Leverage....

Get most of my movies from pawn shops...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »
we have tv with digital attenia (we bought it with the cuepon) and dvds through netflix.

No cable or anything and netflix actually saves us some money, because me and dad are total movie nerds and so we're not spending as much buying dvds.

i'm glad we don't have cable or dish or such. If I ever had such i'd go with the hulu thing for new shows and netflix type streaming for movies and old tv shows.

They have direct tv at the farm and whenever I watch tv out there, I rarely change the channel because its such a pain in the butt to find a channel with what I want to watch. Back when I stayed with my grandma, they had cable, and I could flip through all the channels in like less then five minutes. I can't even read through twenty channels in five minutes in the direct tv show listings.
 =|

And when i'v looked up the paid tv options all the movie channels i'd want always come with the 500 channels and sports stuff, which I don't want at all.
Free tv is a million times better.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
We had Digital cable, got rid of that 1.5 years ago so we could pay for the nephew's karate lessons.

We now have OTA TV and Netflix (streaming only).
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »
Netflix, HuluPlus, and DirectTV for us right now.  I'm in the process of finding a solution to get us off DirecTV when the contract is up.  Drop the content fees down to $20/mo for Netflix and HuluPlus and that gives me an extra $500 which I can spend on equipment.  The years after that we'll be able to save that extra $500.

Probably going to get a decent antenna and set up a DVR 'server' in a basement closet for the major network stuff, feed that to a Roku (or Boxee) system at each TV, and call it good.  It would seem, to me, that the major networks would rather avoid people going that route seeing as how if I stream their shows every time I want to re-watch something they can inject current commercials into the mix.  It's funny seeing something on the DVR for a show, or whatever, that's already in the past.  Looks like lost revenue to me.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:28 PM »
Haven't had a tv since I moved out of my parents' place, which is more than 5 years ago. I've half considered getting one to hook up a game console, up until I remember that I really have little to no interest in games. In my spare time, I'm usually reading, either books or interesting things online.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »
Don't have a TV right now. I sometimes go to the liberty center to play black ops for a few hours. I like to buy DVDs and any movie watching gets done on my laptop.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic