Author Topic: Smoke detectors  (Read 2026 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Smoke detectors
« on: January 01, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and need to add smoke detectors down there and the rest of the house. We only have a couple of battery ones now. If I'm going to do the job I might as well do it right.
Does anyone have experience with the low voltage type? I figured it would be cheaper than running 14-3 romex all over the place and easier.
Any sources for them on the cheap? I assume I will need some sort of controller also.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Smoke detectors
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:15:33 AM »
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and need to add smoke detectors down there and the rest of the house. We only have a couple of battery ones now. If I'm going to do the job I might as well do it right.
Does anyone have experience with the low voltage type? I figured it would be cheaper than running 14-3 romex all over the place and easier.
Any sources for them on the cheap? I assume I will need some sort of controller also.

No. But, before you make this decision, have you seen the newer detectors which cone with 10-year lithium batteries? Walmart had them for around 20 dollars.  Reliability of wired without the wires
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:31:16 AM »
Do the 24V wired SD's have a battery backup?  If not, what about a power failure?  I kind of like that battery powered ones (except when they start chirping at 2:30 A.M.)
"It's good, though..."

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »
If you're trying to do smoke detectors on the cheap, I sincerely hope they're never needed and fail. That would be a hell of a thing to live with. You might want to consider monitored smoke & heat detectors through your alarm company if you use one. 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:53:48 PM »
If you're trying to do smoke detectors on the cheap, I sincerely hope they're never needed and fail. That would be a hell of a thing to live with. You might want to consider monitored smoke & heat detectors through your alarm company if you use one. 
I don't mean cheep in general. I plan on putting in quite a few and way more than required by code.
The question was more about the low voltage ones because of the cost of the romex versus a small wire like phone wire.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:03:14 PM »
I don't mean cheep in general. I plan on putting in quite a few and way more than required by code.
The question was more about the low voltage ones because of the cost of the romex versus a small wire like phone wire.

* Closet where breaker box lives.
* Physical plant area where furnace & air handler as well as water heater reside.
* Garage.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:23:58 PM »
I have a few of them that the wife had installed.  The ones I have will work with just a controller, but we have them wired into the alarm system for monitoring as well.

If I recall correctly, they listed for $100/ea for the smoke detectors, but we were having the rest of the house alarm system upgraded significantly, so we got the fire monitoring gear (3x smoke, 1x CO, and 1x heat) for nothing.

They're FSA 210s from DSC.  They run $30-40 by themselves.  Photoelectric smoke with a built-in thermocouple heat detector and a loud-ish alarm.  Mine do not have an independent battery per-unit.  We have a battery for the whole system.  I'm actually backed up with two 120v that are original to the house and one battery unit from Kiddie.  They were actually the whole system when I bought the place, and I saw no particular need to tear them out.

They go off every time I test them.  The heat detector in the kitchen can't be nondestructively tested, but I did test one, and it works!  :facepalm:

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
* Closet where breaker box lives.
* Physical plant area where furnace & air handler as well as water heater reside.
* Garage.
add attic and crawl space with an explosive gas detector in crawlspace
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I