Author Topic: 40% of those jobs Rick Perry keeps bragging about in Texas  (Read 2796 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: 40% of those jobs Rick Perry keeps bragging about in Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but we knew that Texas had an illegal immigration problem.  I fail to see how an immigrant (legal or not) taking a job makes that job growth somehow "bad".  It's still value added to the economy.  It's someone with a job, buying things, and living in the Texas economy.

I would be more concerned with why the approx 30% of native Texans didn't get those jobs.  Were they not looking for jobs?  Did they have an unrealistic view of their job worth? 

Again, Texas absolutly needs to address the illegal immigration issue it has, but economic growth is still economic growth.  More jobs is good.

This:
Immigrants took jobs across the educational distribution. More than one out three (97,000) of newly arrived immigrants who took a job had at least some college.

Would indicate that at least some of the newcomers are skilled and likely to continue to add value to Texas' economy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
Why should I be concerned about immigrants from other states taking jobs in Texas?                                 :laugh:

Seriously, the jobs they are counting are not lawn cutting jobs.  They are jobs that pay taxes and such.  At least Texas had those jobs to give and actually did gain in jobs.  That is still better than most states. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 02:26:56 PM »
"I know how to grow jobs! By giving them to illegal immigrants!"  :lol:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:29:37 PM »
Much like wealth, Jobs are not a zero sum market.  The more people employed in an economy the more jobs are created.

Again, sure, it'd be better if Texans had those jobs, but Jamis working there is still a net boon to Texas. Illegals don't suddenly make economic growth bad.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
Of newly arrived immigrants who took a job in Texas, 93 percent were not U.S. citizens. Thus government data show that more than three-fourths of net job growth in Texas were taken by newly arrived non-citizens (legal and illegal).

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-jobs-immigrants-rick-perry-2011-9#ixzz1Yi97ygbd
?  Missing something here.  How can you have 7% of these immigrants be citizens?  How are they defining this? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
Another question:  If the same analysis was done for the other 49 states, would they find that 40% of the smaller job growth in those states was taken by illegals?  They make the claim about Texas, but fail to compare it to other states. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »
5 To distinguish legal from illegal immigrants in the survey this report uses citizenship status, year of arrival in the United States, age, country of birth, educational attainment, sex, and marital status. We use these variables to assign probabilities to each respondent. Those individuals who have a cumulative probability of 1 or higher are assumed to be illegal aliens. The probabilities are assigned so that both the total number of illegal aliens and the characteristics of the illegal population closely match other research in the field, particularly the estimates developed by the Department of Homeland Security/legacy INS, the Urban Institute, and the Pew Hispanic Center. This method is based on some very well established facts about the characteristics of the illegal population. For example, it is well known that illegal aliens are disproportionately young, male, unmarried, under age 40, have few years of schooling, etc. Thus, we assign probabilities to these and other factors in order to select the likely illegal population. In some cases, we assume that there is no probability that an individual is an illegal alien.
From the study, this is sort of a generic statement that doesn't tell me much that is concrete.  It seems to me they would better off using the type of job that is being done.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »
Well at least that Republican is keeping offshore jobs here in the good ol US.  Cheaper to bring foreigner here than ship stuff to China.  You go corporate republican boy! He is the cream of the crop.  At least Palin might send jobs to some part of Russia that she can see from there. Lord....I'd really vote for Pat Paulson if he ran again...even dead like Ron Paulson.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:05:29 PM »
They tuck our jerbs!
"It's good, though..."