Author Topic: Dog advice needed...  (Read 3008 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Dog advice needed...
« on: May 01, 2006, 02:06:03 AM »
We got a dog recently, "Max". Max was apparently quite abused by some male that I must resemble because he is scared ****less of me. He loves the kid though which is his main mission in life so I try not to worry about it and do my best to let him know I'm the friendly type. So far, no good. We've had him about a month. NOW he has taken to not eating for the 4th day in a row and the the ladies of the house are both quite upset over the whole thing. I am of the "when he gets hungry enough he'll eat" thinking and this would be causing a bit of, shall we say, "friction" between me and my lovely wife and my 15 yo stepdaughter. Hell HATH no fury like a 15 yo stepdaughter who's upset because her dog isn't eating. Well, at least this one anyways. rolleyes

Anyone got any suggestions toward solving either of these problems?

oh, we are following the instructions of the pound from whence he came by allowing him 2 feedings a day and only letting him have his food for 20 minutes. Today, just as an experiment,  I left him with it for a good hour. Not a nibble. Sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Leatherneck

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 02:54:52 AM »
I can't really help with the appetite thing, but you might want to take him to the vet to make sure his system is OK. Then, I'd go with your philosophy that he'll eat when he gets hungry enough. It might help to ensure he's feeling secure when he's fed. Whatever that takes.

Abused animals are a sore topic with me. We've "rescued" several dogs, and our current Lab, Bear, was scared shiiteless of me when she first got here. A concerted effort on my part gradually calmed her a bit and she began to perceive me as a pretty good guy instead of a threat. Now, two years later, we're inseparable, and she almost tries to climb inside my skin when she's really happy to see me. It takes time and patience. Find something your dog likes (maybe treats--he's gotta be hungry!) like fetching or going for a walk or a swim or a ride or somesuch. Again--patience and time. Good luck and thanks for rescuing an abused pup.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:12:26 AM »
Thanks to you for the same! Yea, he's a real sweetheart. Black Lab cross ~40lbs @ 1year. I'm just a little frustrated that even after a month he still runs away from me like I might kill him or something. He's totally terrified of me. Any sudden movement or noise out of me and hea's looking for which way to run. Your story gives me hope. Smiley

280plus

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:23:49 AM »
Well, the Max update is I did what Leatherneck said. I put Max and his food where he feels safest and that would be in his cage. I no sooner turned my back and walked away when I heard crunching type sounds. Worked like a charm, all his food is gone and peace may very well reign over the valley yet again. So a big hearty thanks to Leatherneck! Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:34:46 AM »
Time and proximity.

If you get frustrated with him, he'll sense it and be scared, expecting a beating.

Talk in low, soothing tones, don't raise your voice, even to shout to your wife or your kids.

Keep your movements slow and steady.

Don't ignore Max, but don't exactly pay attention to him, either.

Practice this for a couple of days, and I suspect that very soon you're going to have a dog coming up to you to check you out.

When he does that, don't move, just let him sniff you.

In other words, let him take it at HIS pace, not yours. He's the wounded, confused one. Let him sort it out that you're not a threat, you're a friend.

I did this with a dog some years ago. She was very timid around me. After practicing this for 2 days, she started sniffing at me, and getting closer. I could tell that she wanted to be friends. On the third day she very, very gingerly climbed up on the couch and laid down beside me. It went pretty fast after that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:16:47 AM »
Yea, I've been walking on eggs for a while now. He's a funny dog. We got him to come out of his cage on his own a few days back and when he did we clapped and cheered. Scared the hell out of him so he ran back in and hid way back in the corner and wouldn't come out anymore. Oops,,, LOL...

mtnbkr

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:27:32 AM »
Once the vet confirms no ailments, try handfeeding canned food.  That's what I had to do in order to get our dog to start eating when we first adopted her 3 years ago.  She was a bit skittish as well, though not as much as yours.

Chris

Azrael256

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 11:56:16 AM »
My dog was similarly abused.  She was a "training dummy" at a pitbull farm.  If there is a just creator, there is a very, very special hell for people who abuse innocent animals.  Very special.

Anyway, the pup was okay with mom, but had a serious problem with men (still does).  She had a difficult time even approaching me at first.  I would set up situations where I could be seen to ignore her.  If she was in the living room, I would walk on the other side of the room, sit on the couch, open up a book, and pay her absolutely no attention.  After about a minute, she would get curious and edge closer and closer.  When I met her face-to-face in the house, I would just extend a hand and let her do what she liked.  At first she ran off, but it didn't take long for her to figure out that I would never hurt her, and that I give pretty darn good tummy rubs.  Unfortunately, this has resulted in me having to fight three cats and a dog for my own frappin' bed every night.

280plus

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 03:05:18 PM »
Unfortunately, this has resulted in me having to fight three cats and a dog for my own frappin' bed every night.
LOL...

Well, he's eaten for the second time in his cage. We don't know what caused him to stop eating in the old spot. Thanks for the input all! I knew I was takin' my troubles to the right place. Wink

Leatherneck

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 02:49:18 AM »
Well that's progress. One day at a time, and you'll be amazed--Labs are born lovers, and they instinctively want to please their master. You've not been loved until you've been loved by a Lab.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 03:08:14 AM »
"You've not been loved until you've been loved by a Lab."

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something off about that statement... Smiley

My parents have a Lab. He's a pain in the ass, but he really is a great dog.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 03:25:32 AM »
Well, the ladies of the house have calmed down a bit now that he's eating again. That in itself is a relief! They are both a bit on the controlling side so not being able to will the dog to eat was a rufflin' their feathers somethin' AWFUL! LOL...

Cheesy

Here's a question for you. Are Labs known to howl? When he's by himself and feels lonesome he starts with the most mournful little howl you've ever heard. It's really heartwrenching. Tongue

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 04:47:17 AM »
Any dog will howl. It's a form of communication.

Leatherneck

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 08:25:16 AM »
Yeah. It's him trying to wind you around hus little dewclaw!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

41 Redhawk

Dog advice needed...
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:46 AM »
You might also try spending time at his level. Watch TV while sitting on the floor when he is in the room and not really paying attention to him but available for him to investigate you. Anything to make you less intimidating to him and of course no fast movements.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 09:05:50 AM »
GOOD suggestion, Redhawk.

Try sticking balogna in your pockets, too. Cheesy

But, the comment about getting down closer to his level is an excellent one.

Azrael256

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 10:46:56 AM »
But, the comment about getting down closer to his level is an excellent one.
Yeah, but be careful about that, too.  Do not sit on the floor in my house unless you expect a lap full of very spoiled puppy.

My lab rated somewhere between "goofball" and "dumbass."  She was happy, friendly, and very affectionate, she just wasn't the most intelligent animal in the world.  I am convinced that she would have chased her tennis ball until she died from exhaustion.  Labs are all kinds of fun if you have a park nearby.

280plus

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 11:44:21 AM »
LOL, talk about wacked, this morning when I brought him in I put his leash on the sliding glass door handle to hold him like we always do so I could go get a towel and dry him off. He musta thought I had released him cause as soon as I turned around he took off for the livingroom at full speed until the leash ran out 3 feet later. Surprised the both of us. So we get past that and when I DO release him he freezes and won't walk past me. So I step behind him to give him a clear path and he takes off at full speed again but NOW he's lost it, blows the turn, slides on the linoleum and plows right into the little closet door that he needed to navigate around. Making a brilliant rolleyes recovery he scrambled the rest of his way into the living room and to the spot on the couch that he's laid claim to. It's like, "GEEZ dog, calm the eff DOWN!" Wink

I've tried laying on my back on the floor with him above me and even then he's all out of sorts. As soon as I make any indication that I'm even thinking about moving his way the whites of his eyes come out. Poor thing is really a basket case. Funnier still with the stepdaughter, he's like a normal playful dog, chases balls and all. I wish there was some way to get inside his head and find out what's going on in there. So what do we think, pet psychiatrist or pet psychic? Tongue

280plus

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 11:46:06 AM »
Or maybe a massage therapist...  Cheesy

Iain

• friend
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 02:11:45 PM »
He may have been abused by some male somewhere, or he may just be a bit nutty. My spaniel has never been beaten with anything more than a rolled up newspaper across the nose but he once put on such an impressive whipped dog display for a man with a short fishing rod that we probably weren't far from a police visit.

I second the stuff about ignoring him though. My dog is a little wary of big strange men (never got used to the 6'6" rower that used to live across the way) Men that just come in and sit down and don't worry about making friends with him usually manage to do so far more quickly than those that are anxious to be his friend. He'll go from wary to sitting next to you batting you with a paw every time you stop scratching his ears in less than five minutes.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dog advice needed...
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 03:21:06 PM »
dogs are crazy sometimes when eating, I had a lab rottie mix and I could eat from his bowl if I wanted to
(funny things we try when we are kids,eh?)
but my parents couldn't get close without him growling.

give the dog time, if the situation doesn't improve, flog it untill it cheers up!

ummm, thats a joke, don't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."