Author Topic: NYPD: We could take down a plane if we wanted to  (Read 23008 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: NYPD: We could take down a plane if we wanted to
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »
EDIT TO ADD: Cessna 150L Vne 141kias.  The Yugo of the skies can outrun NYPD's air force

You're not going to get 141KIAS in anything resembling level flight...you can't get your Ricky Bobby on in a 150 or 172...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
For the 172S:
Vno 129kias
Vne 163kias

Again, that's Vne if you care about keeping the aircraft completely intact.

EDIT TO ADD: Cessna 150L Vne 141kias.  The Yugo of the skies can outrun NYPD's air force.

Downhill, maybe.  I've had to keep coast gaurd helos out of 150's asses on more than one occasion. 

Like I've said, I've provided intercept headings to military Blackhawks, police helos and even light fixed wings up to Cessna 210's.  Had the TFR and airspace violaters actually had ill intent, or for *expletive deleted*ck's sake hijacked a Citation jet, there was nothing they could have done.
The only RFN vectors I've had intercept in time were F16's.  And they can barely handle the low speeds to identify a target like a 150.  Open ROE, they would have shot it the *expletive deleted*ck out of the sky, though....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
You're not going to get 141KIAS in anything resembling level flight...you can't get your Ricky Bobby on in a 150 or 172...

You assume stock engine.  IIRC, the .mil figured out an engine that could take the 150 to Vne.  With its weight, that's kinda like putting enough motor in a Geo Metro to make it dangerous.

Plus, it ain't rocket science to come in high and dive at the target.  Hitting the "happy zone" of as fast as you can go without the wings falling off before you get there is a bit harder, but still manageable.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »
You assume stock engine.  IIRC, the .mil figured out an engine that could take the 150 to Vne.  With its weight, that's kinda like putting enough motor in a Geo Metro to make it dangerous.

Plus, it ain't rocket science to come in high and dive at the target.  Hitting the "happy zone" of as fast as you can go without the wings falling off before you get there is a bit harder, but still manageable.

You could probably go a lot faster without the wings  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2011, 03:16:38 AM »
You could probably go a lot faster without the wings  :lol:

For some reason your post reminded me of this...  :lol:

http://youtu.be/AJ76BSassms

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »
For some reason your post reminded me of this...  :lol:

http://youtu.be/AJ76BSassms

Proof of the "lifting body" concept  =)

However, it doesn't work so well on C-130's, especially at low altitudes  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2011, 12:42:09 PM »
Proof of the "lifting body" concept  =)

However, it doesn't work so well on C-130's, especially at low altitudes  =(

I thought the "lifting body" concept was proven in the 60s & 70s with craft like the Northrop HL-10, the H2F2 and such.
I have read about the Israeli F-15 and the incident with the loss of the starboard wing.  Scary indeed -- and a helluva pilot to do that.
IIRC the F-14 also had some "lifting body" effect in the fuselage.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »
Couldn't they just shoot at the engines? It's not like they would be shooting at an armored fighter jet. There target would be a big airliner with big engines for targets. Can't imagine one of those reacting to well with a few rounds of lead shot into it. Of course them actually doing that inside a city doesn't sound to smart. One, if they miss those rounds are going somewhere, and two, they actually manage to bring it down instead of the plane hitting some target, more than likely a single building, it now would be crashing down into who know what.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
Shoot at the engines from where?  A helo, when you're bumping along, and trying to line up your sights on a intake on a aircraft's engines?
Or from the ground, where it is a very small, fast moving target?
Something tells me this ain't gonna be too easy ... ... ...  ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »
Couldn't they just shoot at the engines? It's not like they would be shooting at an armored fighter jet. There target would be a big airliner with big engines for targets. Can't imagine one of those reacting to well with a few rounds of lead shot into it. Of course them actually doing that inside a city doesn't sound to smart. One, if they miss those rounds are going somewhere, and two, they actually manage to bring it down instead of the plane hitting some target, more than likely a single building, it now would be crashing down into who know what.

You would be surprised what those engines can absorb and remain running.

Unless you have a sniper rifle that fires Canadian geese, you probably will have less luck than you imagine.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2011, 08:25:14 PM »
A helo, when you're bumping along, and trying to line up your sights on a intake on a aircraft's engines?

To quote Avenger29 from the 2nd page;
Snipers and riflemen engage targets successfully all the time from helicopters. There was even a competition at one of the big three gun matches out west where they did a stage of sniping from a helicopter...even easier, though, if you have an light MG rather than mere rifle, since we are all aware that LE agencies can get 'em. 

Of course you still have the problem of having to intercept the plane to begin with and rounds that miss going into a city. Maybe they got a hold of some mobile Phalanx systems,  [tinfoil]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
Freakazoid, i dont imagine the NYPD cares too much about stray rounds or falling pieces of airplane. Or mistaking innocent aircraft for legit targets. After all, that would only kill the little people.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »
kill or injure pilot  plane fall down
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »

Best bet would be to just hover out it front of it and let the chopper get sucked through one of the engines  :P  (kinda sucks to be the pilot of the chopper, though)

That might slow it down it a bit.   ;)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2011, 01:51:26 AM »

Getting to where they can execute the shot is the hard part.....and what makes this unlikely to begin with. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2011, 02:35:53 AM »
Best bet would be to just hover out it front of it and let the chopper get sucked through one of the engines  :P  (kinda sucks to be the pilot of the chopper, though)

Take back the money, stay out of each others' way. Got it. I'm right there with you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2011, 02:49:15 AM »

IIRC, one of the ideas toyed with for AA guns was basically just stuffing a shell with as big a parachute as it could hold, using steel cable shroud lines.  Lob a bunch of them up, and let them float down in front of the aircraft you want stopped.  Sucking one into a prop or jet intake would do Bad Things, having the pilot effectively blinded would reduce the effectiveness of the aircraft, and of course, dodging the things would play merry hell with a tight formation.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2011, 11:08:10 AM »
You would be surprised what those engines can absorb and remain running.

Unless you have a sniper rifle that fires Canadian geese, you probably will have less luck than you imagine.

They are Canada Geese.  They don't carry passports [/Hunter Ed Instructor]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
IIRC, one of the ideas toyed with for AA guns was basically just stuffing a shell with as big a parachute as it could hold, using steel cable shroud lines.  Lob a bunch of them up, and let them float down in front of the aircraft you want stopped.  Sucking one into a prop or jet intake would do Bad Things, having the pilot effectively blinded would reduce the effectiveness of the aircraft, and of course, dodging the things would play merry hell with a tight formation.

So, temporary barrage balloons. Think I'd rather have the balloons, at least then you can also use them for lofting your radio antennas and what not.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »
What happened to all the domes that were supposed to be over all our major cities by now  ???

This isn't the future that Popular Mechanix promised  =(

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »

So, temporary barrage balloons. Think I'd rather have the balloons, at least then you can also use them for lofting your radio antennas and what not.

Balloons pretty much have to be in place before the attacker gets there.  If he can see them, he can go over them.  The parachutes could be shot up too close to avoid that easily.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »

Want. WAAAANT!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2011, 08:01:36 PM »
What do you have against geese  ???

I heard that they were monogamous and mate for life  =)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »

I heard that they were monogamous and mate for life  =)

They're not sufficiently sex positive.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM »

???  Geese are always flying through the air. It would just be a little change of pace for them. You don't think they'd enjoy it?