Author Topic: The feds are prosecuting armed robbery now? (it wasn't a bank)  (Read 3140 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: The feds are prosecuting armed robbery now? (it wasn't a bank)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
not new
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »
I wonder if one of the workers @ the McD's has a relative that sits high up in the federal court/ag's office.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »
The Feds understanding of the commerce clause has drifted back it's original intent over time - there was a period before Roosevelt when judicial activism severely limited it from the framers' intent and it's plain meaning.

As a practical matter, if you want to be tough on crime fed prosecutions are the way to go.  Sentences are much higher in the federal Courts.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
The Feds understanding of the commerce clause has drifted back it's original intent over time - there was a period before Roosevelt when judicial activism severely limited it from the framers' intent and it's plain meaning.

Ohjeezenotthisagain.

So help me here. You believe, that the Constitution, as written and amended, allows Congress to regulate practically every for of human activity, excepting those that are explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
The Feds understanding of the commerce clause has drifted back it's original intent over time

LOLWUT?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 05:05:44 AM »
A little consistency would help; either make a Federal case out of every WalMart and 7-11 shoplifter, or stick to crimes clearly defined as Federal jurisdiction.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »

As a practical matter, if you want to be tough on crime fed prosecutions are the way to go.  Sentences are much higher in the federal Courts.

yup  as is the cost of good legal representation at that level and ironically one of the major whines? they send you to jail too far away for mom to visit
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BridgeRunner

• friend

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
Ohjeezenotthisagain.

So help me here. You believe, that the Constitution, as written and amended, allows Congress to regulate practically every for of human activity, excepting those that are explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights?

No, just all those that affect commerce - that they clearly intended and they and the early courts recognized the power to be an extremely broad one. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."