Author Topic: Shooting Jackets  (Read 4294 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Shooting Jackets
« on: August 14, 2011, 06:11:37 PM »
Currently shooting CMP/HP Service Rifle matches with a USMC surplus shooting jacket.  Like to get something a bit more stable.

However, I also need to man-up and actually drop some money on a spotting scope and stand.  Don't have either.

Going top-$ on all 3 items will put me well over $1200.  I don't have $1200.  So I have to budget appropriately.

Spotting scope stands appear to be the greatest financial hoax perpetrated against the shooting community, as far as I can tell.  A weighted hockey puck with some folding legs, some screw-clamps, and a few feet of metal tubing shouldn't cost $300. :mad:  I think I'm going to try my hand at making one.

Optics... I have a friend down in Tucson that is playing around with making his own spotting scopes.  He showed me a 20x50 with angled eye-piece the other day that was pretty nice.  I may get one from him rather than a retail one, but I'm curious what you folks would recommend as a bare minimum on the market as a scope in case he can't come through for one reason or another?

Jackets:

There's 3 I'm looking at.

#1 - The basic CMP cloth jacket, at $75.

#2 - The Creedmoor deluxe canvas shooting coat, at $130.

#3 - The Creedmoor cordura hardback, at $300.

I'd really prefer to stay away from the hardback (or at least its price tag) and I'm interested in hearing if folks who go from no-jacket to either the CMP or Creedmoor deluxe notice increased stability from these lower cost options.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

birdman

• friend
Re: Shooting Jackets
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
I got a 20-60x80mm leupold that is decent...optics are okay, but it's damn good for the price (it was a gift).  With optics, you really get what you pay for, for the most part.  It's better to have a smaller/lower power with great glass, than a larger with so-so glass.  However, quality is exponentially priced when it comes to optics.   The leupold green rings are in the $300-400 range, and are pretty nice, and beat the other cheap stuff...then there is a BIG step to the $800-2000 range where you get great glass.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »
I went from no jacket for one day to creedmoor cordura hardback, the difference is immense.

I see people getting by fine with a Konus. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DX7Q9Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001DX7Q8W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZDN8DC483EYZHF8TP12 I want a Kowa, but since my scope is now whatever I can beg or borrow I may have to settle.

I seem to remember you are left handed. Am I wrong? I'm looking at either losing weight or moving up from my size 44 coat. The weight may not be an option as it is tightest across the chest and I'm not fat there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:15 AM »
I'm a lefty, G.  Are you?

I don't know my size right now.  I'm having a 3rd party do the measurements for me tomorrow.  I'm 6'2" tall and about 195.  From my half-hearted measurements it looks like I'm 42" at the chest, but I want a second opinion using the right tool for the job (I used a string and I think it has some flex in it, and it might not have been straight, and then I used a yardstick to measure, blah blah blah).

I'm also concerned about the sleeve length and resulting location of the elbow pads.  Are you a tall guy, G?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:50:48 AM »
6"1" 210lbs. Jacket does great except for I can barely close the second buckle right across the chest now. I want to be able to barely breathe and have the back lock up when I lean back slightly, here I over-achieve a little, can't breathe at all.
AKA Navy Joe   

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »
Well, I'm a 40 chest, 35 stomach, 35 sleeve.

--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »
Sigh.

$385 later....

I will have a hardback creedmoor in about 3 months.
--Lysander Spooner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
$$$ Well spent
AKA Navy Joe   

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
Creedmoor hardback arrived today.

Holy smokes, is this thing rigid.  Looking forward to seeing what it does to my standing scores.  I hear from various folks that it's basically a guaranteed 20 point increase on a 60 shot XTC event.

--Lysander Spooner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »
Yeah, I get the equipment delema- its a very expensive sport, I've been doing (and often times struggling) on a small budget.
I've been using a Champion's Choice Canvas coat- similar to the CMP jacket. It leaves a lot to be desired, what makes a huge difference is the sticky shoulder and elbow patches. Its helped me immensely.
I might upgrade to a Creedmoor Cordura coat in a few years if I ever get enough free time to shoot more than just local club matches.

Scope stands- 1/2 the guys I shoot with make their own. I still use a carmera tripod with a $100 chinamart scope- it sucks but it does about 75% of what I need it to do. Really want a angled eye-piece scope so I don't have to break my position in sitting or prone- Yes I often do a quick target check between reloads when shooting rapid sitting, I have problems with my sitting zero for some reason....
A lot of guys who I shoot with use Konus scopes like this one:
http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

They are super cheap for the quality you get.

I was going to buy one this year, but my barrel crapped out about a month ago, so my Highpower budget will go there this winter.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
then there is a BIG step to the $800-2000 range where you get great glass.
I've looked through one of the $2500+ zeiss scopes owned by one of our F-class guys. Yes, very nice.  :O
Just can't see spending that much though... :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama