Author Topic: Netflix Stock Performance  (Read 910 times)

Waitone

• friend
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Netflix Stock Performance
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »
This decision (good or bad) will be study in business schools for years to come.  I bet the CEO has a big golden parachute.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:27:40 PM »
The CEO nailed it when he admitted that they simply got arrogant.  Damn straight they did....they used to be a great company.  Oh well, maybe they''ll return to being a small company that gives a crap about their customers. 

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:54:04 PM »
We're leaving.  My wife has been a Netflix customer for something close to 10 years now, I love the idea, but we're leaving.

We're not pissed about service or pricing or anything.  It's just that all the changes made us question whether or not we really wanted to stick with them.  We tossed in Hulu+ recently for some streaming content and realized we don't use Netflix streaming anymore, and the DVD delivery service wasn't something we'd made good use of for years.

So, poof. 

We'll come right back if we miss it, but I don't see that happening.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:39:18 PM »
We're not pissed about service or pricing or anything.  It's just that all the changes made us question whether or not we really wanted to stick with them.  We tossed in Hulu+ recently for some streaming content and realized we don't use Netflix streaming anymore, and the DVD delivery service wasn't something we'd made good use of for years.

IMO, this reasoning is what caused a lot of people to cancel.  There are lots of folks out there who were just getting charged every month for the service and were fine just staying the course.  But, all of the Netflix changes people sit down and evaluate their entertainment budget. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:54:47 AM »
The plunge in stock was entirely forseeable . . .

I wonder how many people with tenuous (or plausibly deniable) connections to Netflix management made a killing by shorting the stock . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »
I'm ambivalent about the change.  I'm only a streaming customer, so the change doesn't affect me, but I would like to see more titles available.  I especially hate how you can get the 2nd movie in a sequel series, but not the first.  If content improves, I'll stick with them, but if things don't change in the next month or so, I'll go away as well.  Most of my viewing is "I'm on the PC already, let's see what I can find to play in the upper right corner of my monitor while I do other things...", so I don't exactly need it.  That said, I have watched some gems that I might not have noticed otherwise (Ironclad being a recent example).

Chris

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
Somewhere in the CEO's deliberations, content providers had to factor.  They see a good thang developing in competition to distribute content.  Content providers are weighing the trade-off of control over content (DVD) or expanded distribution (streaming).  It looks to me like Netflix became overly enamored with technology (streaming) and overlooked the present reality of content providers ultimately controlling channels of distribution. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon