Author Topic: Seeing any effects of the boycott in your area?  (Read 3526 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Seeing any effects of the boycott in your area?
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:20:59 AM »
It seems to be fairly limited here, but my company had limited cafeteria service for breakfast and lunch due to staff being out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:28:57 AM »
Those that didn't show up should be fired and replaced with Americans that are willing to do the work illegals won't do.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:33:43 AM »
Great!

When it takes 3 hours to get our dinners this evening, you can hop behind the grill and finish our fajitas!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 10:36:32 AM »
Why not get the people who 'Can't find a job!' to work in the fields/kitchens/whatever?  I'm specifically speaking to those on welfare

bg

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 10:56:19 AM »
Well the trash got emptied today..Same as most Mondays. No big
deal. Here at the house we were prepared for this malarkey.

bg

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:00:23 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Great!

When it takes 3 hours to get our dinners this evening, you can hop behind the grill and finish our fajitas!
Should of brought your dinner. More people should of made plans
to nip this right in the bud like obtaining the things they might
of needed on Sunday, prepared dinners at the house to pack to
work, get things done early on the weekend.  Anything that
might show these lawbreakers that they really aren't needed,
this should of been the plan for the day. This illegal infestation
mess can stick it as far as I'm concerned.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 11:10:47 AM »
What? There's a boycott? What's it about?  Obviously it hasn't affected me. I didn't even know about it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 11:26:38 AM »
Went to lunch at a Indian restaurant owned and ran by Indians (from India) and service was good and all were there, mostly Indians and 1-2 Hispanics. My favorite Mex restaurant made a big deal in the local news that they will be open (owned and ran by naturalized Americans).

Didn't hear of any rallies here and I work in a univeristy town.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 11:59:46 AM »
My favorite Mexican place was closed, with a sign explaining why.  I won't be eating there again.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 12:05:23 PM »
Report from the Front Lines   

So far, so good.  I had a business meeting in Downtown Los Angeles this morning at 10:30 am.  I left early, and had a speed run all the way in.  The freeways were emptier than normal.  Got there in plenty of time.  

On the other hand, I live on the Westside (Anglos, Asians and Middle Easterners mostly) and traveled into the business/financial district, which is on the other side of Downtown from where the protesters are.  

One of the local news stations is covering the rally now going down at City Hall.  Lots of United States flags, very few Mexican.  The early morning coverage showed some Mexican flags, but I suspect that peer pressure and/or the organizers got the people to stow them.  

The commentators are noting that the rally has almost a fiesta air, rather than a serious protest might.  No reports of violence or excessive police activity.

I only saw one business near me that was closed.  Downtown was up and running (at least in the business/financial district).  I heard that many stores along Broadway (the rally route) were closed, but that area is heavily Mexican.  

Street vendors showed up at the rally, selling sodas, food, etc., but I heard reports that potential customers were getting pressure from other protestors not to buy anything (it is a boycott, anyway, right?)  There are many Chinese restaurants near the general area of the protests.  One of the local radio commentators said that they were doing business hand over fist.  Cheesy

Another rally is scheduled in theMid-City area at 4:00 pm PDT.  (It is now a bit past 2:00 pm.)  That one may prove to be a bit more interesting&
To the stars!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 12:24:43 PM »
Business at Taco Bell here is no less than normal.

Still a lot of groundskeeping los illegales (beaners) coming to my lawnmower shop today for parts and repairs. Guess they didn't get the word?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 12:27:41 PM »
Still a lot of groundskeeping los illegales (beaners) coming to my lawnmower shop today for parts and repairs. Guess they didn't get the word?
Maybe, but more likely they are the kind of people we want here.  The kind that IS actually here to work hard and make a better way for their family.  I've no use for the rest.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 12:58:02 PM »
I haven't seen anything going on today.  Maybe this was one of those "stay at home" kind of events.  I was at H.E.B. late last night and the Mexican couple in front of me at the checkout was joking about how they had to buy all of their groceries Sunday night because they weren't supposed to go to the store today.

There's got to be someone out there making a scene.  Maybe I'll grab a camera and go look for some sign-carrying, flag-waving types.
For entertainment purposes only.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
We have many, many hispanics where I live.  Business as usual here.  Most of our hispanic community are Americans and damn proud of it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
I didn't notice anything different today aside from not having to dodge bags of lawn clippings, lost ladders, stray weedeaters and the occasional pallet and major appliance spilled on 635 on the way to work this morning.

What I did hear on the radio today was that trash collection would be delayed until later today in the city of Irving because, to quote a city official via telephone, 'our illegal employees have time off today'.  

I don't live in Irving and my trash run is tomorrow. Besides, the guys on the truck on my circuit are Americans. I've talked to them.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 03:06:42 PM »
Report from the Front Lines, Part II

So, the Mid-City march is underway.  This is from MacArthur Park (west of Downtown Los Angeles) to La Brea, down Wilshire Boulevard (westbound).  (Someone has already suggested a detour through the La Brea Tar Pits, but I dont think that will happen).

Nothing is happening in my neighborhood on the Westside.  There is an unwritten understanding in Los Angeles about the difference between the Westside (West Los Angeles, Century City, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc.) and the Eastside (Boyle Heights, Pico-Union, Echo Park and East Los Angeles, etc.).  La Brea is the dividing line.  Elitist?  Probably.  Happily all the protests have been centered in the predominantly Hispanic parts of Los Angeles County.

Still peaceful.  Geraldo Rivera has been spotted riding a Harley down Wilshire Boulevard with a camera crew in tow.  Umm  Kay&

As a counter to the Great American Boycott, a local drive-time radio program is sponsoring the Great American Spend-A-Lot.  The idea is to fax receipts of your purchases to the station, and then they will draw yours and pay for whatever you spent today.  So far, there have been a couple of free airline flights, a plasma TV and a Costco spending spree, among others.  

E-mails and faxes have been coming in fast and furiously from the general commuting public.  The overwhelming sentiment has been, Cool!  This is great!  Lets have more of these boycotts!
To the stars!

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 03:37:17 PM »
Hmm&dont know yet how I want to respond to this.    
     Im still pretty POd right now.  I spent the day sitting alone at my desk in an empty factory.  The truss company across the way was silent as well.  I believe my employer should be fined heavily.  I also believe that this could have been a perfect opportunity for INS to do their job.  
     My boss, who is not Mexican, supported the employees taking the day off.  He only showed up for two hours, while I worked all day.  When a client (the only one who called) asked why I was working, I replied in front of my boss, I am working to pay my taxes and healthcare, and because I dont support extortion.  
     I am very disappointed in the legal (Im no longer sure who is) immigrants who work here, as I dont think they should support giving away what they have had to work for.
On the one hand, I hope my employer lost a ton of money because of this, and on the other I hope it had no effect on the country at all.  Im torn.  
     I believe it is time to take my expertise elsewhere.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
I own a lawnservice company, and I saw very few lawn crews out today.

One of our accounts is a large landscaping company, and they were shut down; trucks were all parked in the lot, and there was nobody there.

I also saw a garbage truck with no crew, just one guy to drive and pick up trash.  He didn't look very happy.

BTW I hire only US citizens.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 05:35:31 PM »
We didn't have any problems at the Mexican place we ate at this evening...

mfree

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 05:58:13 PM »
*shrug* no, nothing at all. I don't get out much during the day though Smiley

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 05:23:59 AM »
Bunch of people out waving signs and taking up space on the sidewalks, that's about it.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 07:47:19 AM »
Report from the Front Lines, Part III

The general consensus here in Los Angeles is that the event was a failure.  

Politically, it pretty much engendered indifference from the Citizenry.  Indeed, unless you happened to be near City Hall yesterday, or in the Wilshire corridor, things were quite pleasant.  Traffic flowed nicely.  If the idea was to show how much we rely on undocumented immigrants the answer seems to have been, Not much.  

Economically, whatever impact is predicted will center in the Latino communities.  Kinda reminds you of the last civil disobedience demonstration in Los Angeles about fourteen years ago.  Who paid the highest price?  No one in my neighborhood.
To the stars!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 07:50:15 AM »
Sylvivagus Aquaticus summed it up for me.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 04:49:16 AM »
The Odessa, Texas, newspaper's headline stated minimal effect.  Alpine looked like business as usual.  I was in the County Attorney's office and told the joke about the Titanic and the Heilmann's mayonnaise.  Broke up the Latino-gal secretary. Smiley

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 06:11:20 AM »
No, didn't see much effect here. Didn't stop any of them from collecting welfare, having anchor babies (that's what they do and prolifically) on Medicaid, or the deadbeat machismo fathers from driving around with mega dollar paint jobs on their cholo mobiles drinking large quantities of cervezas .
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G