Author Topic: Obama Admin: Legal Theory for Whacking US Citizen "classified."  (Read 32736 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Obama Admin: Legal Theory for Whacking US Citizen "classified."
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/10/the-secret-memo-that-explains-why-obama-can-kill-americans/246004/

I call righteous BS on this.

If Awlaki is a turd-bag treasonous Islamo-fundi plotting to kill Americans on a foreign battlefield... whack him.  That's fine.

But there is NO JUSTIFICATION for hiding the legal theory that allows a POTUS to justify his actions in such a regard.

The law of the land is above the troubles of the times.

No such thing as "classified" in this matter, to me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Obama Admin: Legal Theory for Whacking US Citizen "classified."
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »
For the last 2½ years I have vascillated between believing the Obama administration is incompetant or outright commie/pinko/fascist/evil/destructive/choose your own invective here, but this is just plain messed up.
Legal Theory for Whacking US Citizen "classified."

What the ------???
You classify things when you need to keep information from the enemy they may be able to use against you, or to strengthen their own efforts. 
How can a ***** legal theory like this have any effect such as that?
Quote from: AZRedhawk44
I call righteous BS on this.

You & me both. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
If Awlaki is a turd-bag treasonous Islamo-fundi plotting to kill Americans on a foreign battlefield... whack him.  That's fine.

That's the part I don't get; why can't we alter due process to allow for a trial-in-absentia, provided the accused is given adequate notice, (several months would have been insignificant in this case, since they could have given the notice a long time ago) opportunity for safe, paid travel to the court with promise of same to get home if acquitted, etc.?  Surely we have the Constitutionally required two witnesses to testify that he's been at least giving aid and comfort to our enemies.  Get a verdict and death sentence, and then carry it out through whatever means necessary.

Heck, get the sentence, then issue a Letter of Marque for a tenth of what the mission would cost, and watch the hunting guide and security companies team up to make a killing off the killing.  How many people would pay $50k+ to legally hunt humans, much less terrorists?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
For the last 2½ years I have vascillated between believing the Obama administration is incompetant or outright commie/pinko/fascist/evil/destructive/choose your own invective here, but this is just plain messed up.
Legal Theory for Whacking US Citizen "classified."

What the ------???
You classify things when you need to keep information from the enemy they may be able to use against you, or to strengthen their own efforts. 
How can a ***** legal theory like this have any effect such as that?
You & me both. 

When is a nation of laws not a nation of laws?  When the nation is not allowed to know what the laws are.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
Arguments for or against sending a missile up his ass aside.....WTF?

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
Those laws are sequestered along with his birth certificate and college transcripts.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
I wasn't aware GWB got a third term.....oh...wait....  :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:18:34 AM »

It amazes me that there's not a FREAKING HUGE outcry over just that fact.  Obama's done and allowed stuff that Bush would have been CRUCIFIED for, in both the media and "the court of public opinion" - and damned few people are saying jack about it.  How's that work again?

Oh yeah - he's a DEMOCRAT.  That makes it all okay.  :facepalm:

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:14:05 AM »
It amazes me that there's not a FREAKING HUGE outcry over just that fact.  Obama's done and allowed stuff that Bush would have been CRUCIFIED for, in both the media and "the court of public opinion" - and damned few people are saying jack about it.  How's that work again?

Oh yeah - he's a DEMOCRAT.  That makes it all okay.  :facepalm:

Exactly. And many (R)'s are riding him like a rented mule over policies that are identical to ones that GWB had in place.  Some are awakening to the charade.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
Exactly. And many (R)'s are riding him like a rented mule over policies that are identical to ones that GWB had in place created.  Some are awakening to the charade.
FIFY

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »
Exactly. And many (R)'s are riding him like a rented mule over policies that are identical to ones that GWB had in place.  Some are awakening to the charade.

But of course few will vote for a "non-mainstream" candidate  ;/

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
Bush was just the warm-up act, as Bush the Elder was the impresario.  Check out "Operation Wide Receiver."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »

Yup - works both ways, and they both disgust me equally (even if I don't always make that clear).

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 11:42:18 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/05/us-cia-killlist-idUSTRE79475C20111005

More is coming out about this, finally.

Two principal legal theories were advanced, an official said: first, that the actions were permitted by Congress when it authorized the use of military forces against militants in the wake of the attacks of September 11, 2001; and they are permitted under international law if a country is defending itself.

A former official said one of the reasons for making senior officials principally responsible for nominating Americans for the target list was to "protect" the president.

How statesmanly!

How bold!

Such visionary and pioneering leadership!

This is a Commander in Chief we can all place our utmost faith in!  Surely, he has now demonstrated that he would never let the sour tarnish of electioneering taint his steadfast resolve to protect our Nation!

[barf]

Middle-management bureaucrats craft "hit lists" for upper-management bureaucrats to approve... and POTUS is not involved in approval.  Only if he decides he wants to dis-approve.

And this Executive structure has not been commissioned/authorized by Congress.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »
Everything old is new again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Chamber

Or, maybe power-seeking folk have similar desires and end up with similar solutions.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

agricola

• friend
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »

Oddly, this was my thoughts as well.

If you loved Bush, well, you should have few if any reasons to hate Obama as he is doing 90% or greater the same things as Bush.
If you love Obama, you should hold Bush in equal regard because he did the same things that Obama is doing now.

Say that to either a hardcore Dem or Repub and watch them mentally try to contort themselves to find something to say other than "nuh-uh!"

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »

If you loved Bush, well, you should have few if any reasons to hate Obama as he is doing 90% or greater the same things as Bush.
If you love Obama, you should hold Bush in equal regard because he did the same things that Obama is doing now.

Say that to either a hardcore Dem or Repub and watch them mentally try to contort themselves to find something to say other than "nuh-uh!"

Yes, but BHO does teh same thing with the Fedex hand gesture, so he gets told how brilliant he is.

Actually, there are enough differences that are glaring and would earn you a deserved "WTF" look.  Obamacare being just one. 

The truly disconcerting comparison/contrast is not GWB/BHO, but BHO2007/BHO2011.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 12:46:03 AM »
Yes, but BHO does teh same thing with the Fedex hand gesture, so he gets told how brilliant he is.

Actually, there are enough differences that are glaring and would earn you a deserved "WTF" look.  Obamacare being just one. 

Duh. But about the Fed Ex thing. Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »

The truly disconcerting comparison/contrast is not GWB/BHO, but BHO2007/BHO2011.

Obamacare is a near replica of the plan McCain proposed in his response to Obama's original desire to go to single-payer.   A whole metric butt load of "conservatives" supported him.  So no, Obama hasn't really done much that the (R) party wasn't doing or going to do.
JD

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 10:28:16 AM »
'Cause we know how "conservatives" support John McCain.  ???

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:45 AM »

Let's see...

Back when I "hated" Bush, I was a dirty leftist hippie.

Now when I "hate" Obama, I am a cold hearted rich racist.

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
Let's see...

Back when I "hated" Bush, I was a dirty leftist hippie.

Now when I "hate" Obama, I am a cold hearted rich racist.

;/

It pays to be versatile..... =D

;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero