Author Topic: USS APS??  (Read 6509 times)

dm1333

• friend
Re: USS APS??
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
According to the CG Historian's official website the Smilax was commissioned in 1944, the Eagle on May 15th, 1946. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »
According to the CG Historian's official website the Smilax was commissioned in 1944, the Eagle on May 15th, 1946. 

Acushnet was commissioned as USS Shackle by the Navy in February 1944, decommissioned from the Navy and commissioned into the Coast Guard as USCGC Acushnet in August of 1946.  Smilax should have had the title of oldest commission (November of 1944) all along if they're going by CG commission date, with Eagle (May of 1946) second and Acushnet third.  If they're counting original commission date regardless of service, then Eagle's got them all beat by several years with its 1936 commissioning as SSS Horst Wessel, then Acushnet/Shackle, then Smilax.

Timeline:
USCGC Eagle first Commissioned (as SSS Horst Wessel):  September 1936
USCGC Acushnet first Commissioned (as USS Shackle): February 1944
USCGC Smilax Commissioned: November 1944
USCGC Eagle recommissioned: May 1946
USCGC Acushnet recommissioned: August 1946

The only way it makes sense to put Acushnet first and Smilax second is if you're going by total US service, regardless of branch or name.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »
Well, I don't have an answer for you!  Ask me a question about motor lifeboats or other small boats.   =D

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 05:20:07 AM »
Well, I don't have an answer for you!  Ask me a question about motor lifeboats or other small boats.   =D

Okay, if the German Navy commissions a really big motor lifeboat with sails in 1936, and the USCG takes it and recommissions it in 1946, how old is the lifeboat in 2011?   =D

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 07:54:01 AM »
OMG, are we buying the damn boat or not?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »

Going through withdrawals already?  ;)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »

I ain't seen your half of the money yet....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 10:58:01 AM »
Okay, if the German Navy commissions a really big motor lifeboat with sails in 1936, and the USCG takes it and recommissions it in 1946, how old is the lifeboat in 2011?

How about an old ship built in the 18th century that's all original - except for new deck, new ribs, new keel, new planking, and new rigging  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 09:29:33 PM »
Going through withdrawals already?  ;)

Yes.

I ain't seen your half of the money yet....

Check's in the mail.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »
No... the logistical tail on this is just too long. We need something much more efficient.

I think the best way to go is find something newer, in diesel-electric, then we fly under the radar with the DOE, and get birdman and physics working on retrofitting it with a little miniature Thorium pile and some sort of non-traditional starter neutron source, and we run some smoky little truck diesels up the funnel when we're near port.  :angel:

There's no way we're going to break even the first few years, even if we got lucky and were issued a letter or marque right away without even proving ourselves first.

Although... taking a contract from the Japanese to go after the Sea Shepherd might be fun...  =D
I promise not to duck.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
There's no way we're going to break even the first few years, even if we got lucky and were issued a letter or marque right away without even proving ourselves first.

Never say never!  We sail close to where the Somalis are holding some of these ships, launch a small boat with a prize crew, take a ship back and ask for half of what the Somalis wanted in ransom.  Voila!  (just don't pay 10 mil for the Acushnet like the guy is asking for.  Especially since he just bought it for $600,000.  Sheesh!)

Okay, if the German Navy commissions a really big motor lifeboat with sails in 1936, and the USCG takes it and recommissions it in 1946, how old is the lifeboat in 2011? 

Middle aged, by Coast Guard standards! 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »

Although... taking a contract from the Japanese to go after the Sea Shepherd might be fun...  =D

Like.  Plus eleventy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »

I wonder if there's any way to convince some Somali pirates that there's a LOT on money and gold bullion on the Sea Shepherd ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design