Author Topic: Computer pests  (Read 6530 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Computer pests
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »

For the next on the "RevDisk's IT ranting" series, backups.

Backup your stuff.  Period.  No exceptions.  Viruses, power surges, HD failures, etc will never go away.  Evar.  Entropy is just one of those things.

For simplest form of backup, copy My Documents, Favorites and Desktop to an external HD (cheap on Newegg, TigerDirect, etc), thumb drive or SD card.  Keep one off-site, one in a safety deposit box or a buddy's place.  Swap every few months.  Every year or so, buy a new one.  Retire the old one to your safety deposit box or whatever clearly labeled with the year in question.   

I'm partial to 32 gig micro SD cards for critical data, which are the size of your pinky nail.  Very easy to hide.

Next simplest is "cloud" backups.  (cloud.  ugh.)  For home users, I highly recommend BackBlaze.  $4-5 a month for unlimited (and they bloody well mean unlimited) storage.  There are others, any of them are good enough.  Mozy is another.

Geeks, read this:   http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/
If you're not drooling, you're not a geek.

If you're a slightly more geeky person, you can use the S3.  I use it for my servers, as s3sync is very handy.

Here's my script for my CentOS servers:  http://www.revdisk.org/projects/backups/

It's a very stripped down version.  I'm obviously not publishing the locations of anything that's not standardized stuff.  I do daily light backups of log files, configuration files, SQL databases, etc.   Weekly backups for my HTML files, graphics, MP3s, videos.  Now, in the posted code, I left it using ECB.  Why, I friggin forget, but it should be cipher-block chaining.  Don't use ECB in multiple block encryption.  Evar.  CBC is fine for most stuff, but you could adjust for whatever you're doing.

Prune it down every month or two and you're looking at 12 cents a month or so.  Most I ever reached was a dollar, because I forgot to prune for a few months.  I added an appointment every two months.  I keep monthly and yearly heavy uploads.

For a paranoid non-geek home user, use TrueCrypt and just backup the TrueCrypt container.  The program and documentation are friendly to non-geeks.

So I just want to say that I think making a computer virus should be an executable offense.

Why?  Not saying virus writing is good, and I wish folks would stop.  But it makes big money these days for botnet owners, so it's not going away.  You could say the same for counterfeit DVDs, drugs or moonshine.  All bad, but not going away.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »
I used to use third party backup solutions until Win7. Anyone using Win7 seriously has no excuse not to backup. The built-in backup is one of the easiest, no brains required, backup solutions I've ever used. Both to backup and to restore, including full images. I always do an image of the new machine with just the OS, then another right after I've installed my "basic" programs, and squirrel those away. I then do weekly backups after that.

I still, as Revdisk does, backup important files to media and store elsewhere. I've always done it to CD/DVD, don't know why I haven't thought of using Secure Digital media. I need to switch to that next time around.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 11:31:22 PM »
Well after backing up the remaining bits I ran a repair utility that came with the laptop. (lenovo)
It rolled it back a bit but other than that everything works.
Need to put a few programs on and some little crap.
Beats pumping disks for the next 2 days.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods