Author Topic: California Gov Enacts Ban On Open Handgun Carrying  (Read 3683 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
California Gov Enacts Ban On Open Handgun Carrying
« on: October 10, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/10/california-gov-enacts-ban-on-open-handgun-carrying/?test=latestnews

The law, AB144, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in a public place.

So a loaded one is fine? >:D

Really just when other states are trying to make open carry legal and the feds are actually thinking of national carry.  Things are going to get interesting.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: California Gov Enacts Ban On Open Handgun Carrying
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »
Gov. Jerry Brown's says he has signed a measure that bans the open carrying of handguns in California.

The law, AB144, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in a public place.

The governor's office made the announcement in a statement early Monday morning. Brown has been rushing to sign dozens of measures sent to him by lawmakers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/10/california-gov-enacts-ban-on-open-handgun-carrying/?test=latestnews#ixzz1aNbI2Dil

It is 0500 in California right now.  Those govt guys are hard workers for a holiday Monday morning. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:38:01 AM »
I'm sure I will always miss the beaches and the weather 
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »
Actually the legal experts on gun rights in CA seem to be looking at this as a good thing. I don't have the full background, as all the legalese here is incredibly confusing. The gist of it is that apparently during one of the last fights for "shall issue" a judge brought up the point that any Californian can carry a firearm OC unloaded, and if they needed to protect themselves, they simply had to load it, so there was no need for shall issue.  ;/

Now that unloaded OC has been banned, my understanding is that the progressives may have shot themselves in the foot, because they just banned their previous "out" on shall issue. I'll have to hop over to Calguns and see what the lawyers there are saying. On the face of it though, between this and national reciprocity (if it passes) there is a very strong case for CA shall issue.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:38:25 AM »
The gist of it is that apparently during one of the last fights for "shall issue" a judge brought up the point that any Californian can carry a firearm OC unloaded, and if they needed to protect themselves, they simply had to load it, so there was no need for shall issue.  ;/

Hey, that's what cops do, right?  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
Actually the legal experts on gun rights in CA seem to be looking at this as a good thing. I don't have the full background, as all the legalese here is incredibly confusing. The gist of it is that apparently during one of the last fights for "shall issue" a judge brought up the point that any Californian can carry a firearm OC unloaded, and if they needed to protect themselves, they simply had to load it, so there was no need for shall issue.  ;/

Now that unloaded OC has been banned, my understanding is that the progressives may have shot themselves in the foot, because they just banned their previous "out" on shall issue. I'll have to hop over to Calguns and see what the lawyers there are saying. On the face of it though, between this and national reciprocity (if it passes) there is a very strong case for CA shall issue.

Just wondering when Ill-i-noise will get out of the dark ages....
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
It is 0500 in California right now.  Those govt guys are hard workers for a holiday Monday morning. 
The only time the government works hard is when they are trying to grab more power.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »
Actually the legal experts on gun rights in CA seem to be looking at this as a good thing. I don't have the full background, as all the legalese here is incredibly confusing. The gist of it is that apparently during one of the last fights for "shall issue" a judge brought up the point that any Californian can carry a firearm OC unloaded, and if they needed to protect themselves, they simply had to load it, so there was no need for shall issue.  ;/

That's my understanding on the Unloaded OC, most felt it was better that CA put themselves in a legal corner, than whatever good the few OC activists around CA were doing.

However, I'm trying to find the status on some other very bad anti-gun bills Brown either signed, or allowed to passively pass, such as ammunition registration.

Never mind. I guess he vetoed it, and what may-issue CCW there is in CA, it got a little reform I guess, perhaps removing some cronyism.

However, the other two bills, now all long-guns require registration starting in 2014, and DROS background fees can be given directly to the DOJ, (presumably the money was given for hunting or shooting range support before?) Are not good.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:47:23 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 01:28:02 PM »
Yeah, the long gun (including shotguns for the fuds) sucks. I have hope that it will yet have the kibosh put upon it. Didn't the supremes rule on long gun registration being unconstitutional?

I'm surprised but very glad that he didn't sign the ammo crap.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
What a crappy state  =(

So does this mean you can't hunt anything with handguns anymore  ???

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 12:47:22 AM »
Just wondering when Ill-i-noise will get out of the dark ages....

Ask and  you shall receive:

Moore v Madigan  & Shepard v Madigan

Those are the two barrels we have pointed at the GA for the fall veto session.  It seems that the Judge(s) is/are waiting to rule on the injunction(s) until then.  If the GA fails to act, then they'll have to.

Oh, and we've picked up a Chicago Democrat.  LaShawn Ford is more than likely a yes.  With him and the three R's that voted no (who are getting pounded by the leadership), that brings us to 69 of the 71 votes we need to pass, and veto proof at that.   There are rumblings that we might have the votes now.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 01:17:31 AM »
Yeah, the long gun (including shotguns for the fuds) sucks. I have hope that it will yet have the kibosh put upon it. Didn't the supremes rule on long gun registration being unconstitutional?

I'm surprised but very glad that he didn't sign the ammo crap.

The silver lining might be that long-gun registration wakes the fudds up, and gun owners start gaining some critical mass as a voting block.

But that's probably on the too little, too late side of things.

And now my understanding of Brown's veto of the ammo registration bill is that he's simply waiting on some court cases to finish up, then the legislature will make another run at it, which he'll presumably sign.  :P
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:11:42 AM »
Ask and  you shall receive:

Moore v Madigan  & Shepard v Madigan

Those are the two barrels we have pointed at the GA for the fall veto session.  It seems that the Judge(s) is/are waiting to rule on the injunction(s) until then.  If the GA fails to act, then they'll have to.

Oh, and we've picked up a Chicago Democrat.  LaShawn Ford is more than likely a yes.  With him and the three R's that voted no (who are getting pounded by the leadership), that brings us to 69 of the 71 votes we need to pass, and veto proof at that.   There are rumblings that we might have the votes now.

Part of it was rhetorical grousing.  I know about the injunction, and the other lawsuits floating out there.

We shall see.  We shall see.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 10:13:57 AM »
And now my understanding of Brown's veto of the ammo registration bill is that he's simply waiting on some court cases to finish up, then the legislature will make another run at it, which he'll presumably sign.  :P

Yeah, I just saw that in an NRA email this morning. The ammo bill burns me up more than anything else. They had already tried something similar (minus the thumbprint) around 30 years ago. They abandoned it because it did nothing but cost money. But here we go again. Time wounds all heels, or something like that...

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »
Yeah, I just saw that in an NRA email this morning. The ammo bill burns me up more than anything else. They had already tried something similar (minus the thumbprint) around 30 years ago. They abandoned it because it did nothing but cost money. But here we go again. Time wounds all heels, or something like that...

In California?

From 1968, to 1986, due to the GCA, until the FOPA did away with it, everyone had to sign a log book for ammo purchases.  :P
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »

And here I was all going to have my pistol shipped up to me.  =|

What is this ammo registration bill?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »

Peruta v. San Diego is one case where the judge explicitly cited open carry being allowed as why the "good cause" restriction on may issue didn't unreasonably infringe.  It's been appealed already and this law gives them good ammo as they go to the Court of Appeals as it'll be tough for the Court/state to suddenly change their reasoning.

Note that, post-McDonald, Nordyke's enbanc hearing is hinging not on whether carry is a right but whether the fairgrounds are a "sensitive place" where it can be restricted; the ability to carry in some form outside the home is already taken as a given in an existing 9th Circuit opinion.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 10:43:20 PM »
Peruta v. San Diego is one case where the judge explicitly cited open carry being allowed as why the "good cause" restriction on may issue didn't unreasonably infringe.  It's been appealed already and this law gives them good ammo as they go to the Court of Appeals as it'll be tough for the Court/state to suddenly change their reasoning.

Note that, post-McDonald, Nordyke's enbanc hearing is hinging not on whether carry is a right but whether the fairgrounds are a "sensitive place" where it can be restricted; the ability to carry in some form outside the home is already taken as a given in an existing 9th Circuit opinion.

This better turn out for the better, or I will be so angry!... I might just write a letter.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 06:43:36 AM »
Considering the 9th usually is to the left on these issues and has already ruled in the good for us side that is a big plus.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »
In California?

From 1968, to 1986, due to the GCA, until the FOPA did away with it, everyone had to sign a log book for ammo purchases.  :P

Hey gimme a break - I was a youngster at the time! :P

I just remember for a while I could by 44mag ammo, then I couldn't because I wasn't 21. I remember the signing ammo into a book, but for some reason don't remember that being the case when I first started buying it (though that was shotgun ammo, so maybe they didn't include that).

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 02:51:03 AM »
( long gun) Registration will fail before 2014 ( when it goes into effect ).

Unloaded open carry is useless, most urban places where you would need to carry you cant due to gun free school zones.

I'm not sure about the ammo thing, I think it got vetoed anyway.

CA will be shall issue in one to 3 years.  Same with national reciprocity.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."