Author Topic: Holidays in the USA. What to see?  (Read 8488 times)

BillBlank

• friend
Holidays in the USA. What to see?
« on: May 02, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »
My wife and I are planning to take three weeks next July/August to drive around the USA. We're english and both have a love of history and silly stuff too. I am a petrolhead, my wife loves animals.

We were planning a sort of U shaped route from California to New York taking in the best of the south on the way, for instance I have a need to see texas before I die for some reason. I would like to shoot some interesting guns as well. My wife wants Natural beauty and the civil war.

What would be the one thing that you would, as Americans, believe we should not miss whilst we're in your country?

I want to rent an "interesting" car, 350 cu/in minimum. Does anyone know if this is possible?

The route and starting points are up in the air still, we're at the big map on the wall stage and very open to idea's Smiley
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:26:59 PM »
Idaho, Montana, Washington Oregon
Unbelievable scenary.
Just connect the National parks (and Mt St Helen's is not to be missed)
then go south into California through Yosemite and then back up through Utah.  Utah is amazing, it's like another world.

That will be enough scenary to get you through the west half.
BTW, if you are from England, you are going to be thrown by the size of the US.  (europeon's always are)

Let me give you an example
If you drive from Houston to LA, by the time you get to El Paso (in Texas still) you are halfway there.  And that's about 900 miles.  
The scale is off, your mental scale si going to have a tough time of it, esp. in the west.
enjoy.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:34:34 PM »
Dunno, but if you come up through Northern Virginia (quite possible if you plan on hitting DC), let us know.  Between Mike, me, and anyone else in the area, I'm sure we can supply your weapons needs for a trip to the NRA range or shotgun games at Bull Run Park's shooting center.

BTW, the museums and other sights in DC might be worth making that a leg of your tour (DC is a political cesspool, but there are a lot of things to see here).  

There are many good Civil War battlegrounds that can be made part of you tour.  I liked Shiloh in Tn.  Harper's Ferry in WV is a nice trip.  There are some nice bed and breakfasts there, you could make that an overnighter.  I haven't been to Gettysburg yet, but I'm sure it's worth the time.  

The Biltmore Estate in NC (Vanderbuilt's summer estate) is worth a day or two.  If you feel like getting out to the coast, the Outer Banks of NC are great.  Lots of history there and nice beaches as well.  

There's more, but that's a quick "off the top of my head" list of things.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:54:39 PM »
Nah, nothing much happened in Gettysburg. Smiley

If you're English, and interested in seeing where it all when wrong for you guys on this side of the pond, Philadelphia is a must see. Cheesy

Seeing the Native American ruins in Arizona and New Mexico is high on my list of things to do before I get too much older.

And I second the comment about a trip to the range to blast away in glorious American fashion.

As for a car, friends of mine have good things to say about the Dodge Magnum.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 03:23:13 PM »
Petrolhead huh?

Well then, you should probably try to hit one of the NHRA Nationals. Everybody who's into cars should see (and feel) Top Fuel at least once in their lives.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »
Oh! Since you'll be passing through the area you know you gotta go here. Or something/place similar.

Ron

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 03:44:04 PM »
The Grand Canyon is worth a look. http://www.nps.gov/grca/photos/

It was much bigger than I expected. Just breathtaking in scale.

Yellowstone is high on my list of places to see. Don't know much about it so can't help you out on what to do there. http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/webcams.htm

Texas is big and is a boring state to drive through. Actually a good chunk of the middle of the country is a boring drive (IMHO). We could plop the whole UK into middle America and it would be surrounded by farmland. Most of the US is empty and/or farmland. Hope you like to drive!

I would definitely research and and have a plan of action. Three weeks seems like a lot of time but this country is huge. We have near tropics, glaciers, plains and farmland bigger than some countries, small towns, huge metropoliss, historical places to visit and cities like Las Vegas that constantly reinvent themselves.

I am a Chicago guy who wishes he traveled more. http://www.gallagher.com/chicago_photos.htm

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 03:55:18 PM »
Love history you say?  Swing by southeast Michigan and visit the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village.  It's quite possibly the largest, most comprehensive collection of American historical artifacts and buildings.

www.thehenryford.com

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 04:12:23 PM »
Utah.  Zion's nat'l park, Bryce Canyon, Arches park.  Flaming gorge.  Salt Lake city if you come through this way has to be one of the nicest downtowns I've ever been in.  Park city mountain resort, of course.  Drive up and over the Mirror Lake highway, stop and have a picnic lunch up there somewhere.  There's always the Bonneville salt flat raceway, only worth it if you get out there when they're racing anything.  Skip seeing the Salt Lake, unless you just want to say you saw it.  Its nasty, dingy, and smells bad.  Marsh flies are vicious, too.....

Grand Canyon if you've never been.  Sedona, AZ as well.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 04:32:31 PM »
Bill,

Are you an Auto Club member at home?  If so, my ex employer, AAA Michigan would be happy to mail you an Atlas and some other info for sight seeing.  I can see to that if you like.  Let me know.

Rent a Dodge Magnum wagon with a Hemi engine.  They get pretty decent gas mileage too.  Chrysler 300 Hemi is a great sedan.

America in 3 weeks?  Boy oh boy.  I've got 62 years in and haven't seen half of it.

America is absolutely astonishing from its topography, our people (who will surprise you)  to our history.  It takes nearly 4 days of hard driving just to get from one coast to the other.  If you're flying into the west coast I'd land in Seattle and zig zag my way south seeing that you want to see Texas.  That should take 10 days.  Then fly to Washington DC from Texas and do the Capitol, museums and historic sights in the east; Revolutionary and Civil War.  I've got a close friend that is a Revolutionary War reinactor and historical author about that period.  He could fill you in, I'm sure.  That ought to take another 10 days.  That'll whet your appetite to come back and we'll tell you what to do next.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 06:19:12 PM »
Since you're a petrol head I'll recommend the Nascar speedways along the southern route. Texas, Talladega (AL), and the mother of them all Daytona (FL). If you make it to the midwest then the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and museum is a must see for gearheads. There is also the Auburn/Cord/Duesenburg museum in northern Indiana if you like the pre-WWII cars.

For a different kind of horsepower, Churchill Downs (as in Kentucky Derby or "Darby" for you blokes) and the surrounding horse farms and bourbon distilleries.

If you're a Civil War buff, then definitely get in touch with Mike Irwin and mtnbkr. A huge chunk of the major battles were fought in and around the area where they live.

As for the rental car the Dodge/Hemi combo is a good one. Hertz recently announced they are bringing back the Hertz special edition Mustangs for rental so that's a choice too. The Dodge will be closer to the 5.7 litre formula you specified, but the 4.6 liter Mustang is a stout performer.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 07:42:07 PM »
"If you're a Civil War buff, then definitely get in touch with Mike Irwin and mtnbkr. A huge chunk of the major battles were fought in and around the area where they live."

Yep, there's an incredible number of major battle/campaign sites within a day's drive of here...

Antietam (Lee's first attempt at invading the North), 1st and 2nd Bull Run, Gettysburg, the Peninsula Campaign, the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, Petersburg, Balls Bluff, Appomattox Courthouse (Lee surrenders), Cold Harbor, the Wilderness, Chancellorsville (Stonewall Jackson fatally wounded), Seven Pines, Brandy Station (largest cavalry battle in North America, ever).

All in all there were something like 123 separate battles in Virginia, and a bunch more in West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.

I know quite a few people in my neck of the woods, right outside DC, who have found Civil War era bullets on their property.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 09:24:30 AM »
I'll just second that the drive gets long and boring between sights.  You can drive for half a day and still not make it all the way through many states, especially in the west.  It was a real eye opener for me when I drove from Michigan to Montana, just how much nothing exists.  And that is probably only half the country wide of a drive.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 09:30:40 AM »
Once you get around Akron, Ohio, going west on the Ohio turnkpike the drive becomes absolutely excruciating. Flat and incredibly boring.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 09:58:20 AM »
The Painted Desert, Petrified Forest and Grand Canyon are all good. Driving pretty much anywhere in the Rockies is always interesting. Englishtown Raceway in Englishtown, NJ is a venerable old drag racing venue and very close to I-95. Hmmm, that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hersey, PA shouldn't be too far out of your way if your coming north via Mike and mtnbkr's area. If you like chocolate that's the place for you! Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 10:10:45 AM »
You'll be able to rent a Shelby Mustang from Hertz later this month...not sure if one of these airports is close to where you'll be but check it out.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/index.jsp?targetPage=USshelbygth.jsp&leftNavUserSelection=globNav_3_5_1®ion=United%20States

Greg

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 10:36:22 AM »
What do you folks pay for a liter of petrol where you are? Gas here is $3.05 + per gallon so expect to spend a bit on fuel. IIRC you pay even more in Britain so you may think you're getting a break when you get here. Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 10:51:28 AM »
"What do you folks pay for a liter of petrol where you are?"

6 pounds, 8 crowns, 11 guineas, 13 florins, 9 schillings, and 23 pence....

Never did understand British money!

I found an MSNBC article from last August saying that gas in Britain was averaging about 88 pence a litre, or something just over $6 a gallon.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 01:40:22 PM »
That's about what I thought. They're going to come here and think, "GEE, gas is so CHEAP! Tongue

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
Someone beat me to NASCAR and horse racing. Are you and your wife punters (horse racing fans for us Americans)? Some of the finest tracks in the country are running. Saratoga in upstate New York and Del Mar near San Diego will be going. Horsepower at its best. Check out the San Diego Zoo. Oh, and be prepared for summer heat and humidity when you get here. I mean real heat. Especially out west and down south (hot and humid!). We love to brag about our summer mosquitoes here in Minnesota up north. They have been known to carry off and suck dry small children and animals. Spend money at the Mall of America and help support our local government. Don't forget to eat and drink your way through the USA. Try the local bars, restaurants, and brewery products.

Oh, and if you get stopped by a cop, tell them that you're a foreigner and don't speak english...lol

Iain

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 02:09:48 PM »
Last comparision I heard we were heading for 90+pence per litre and you were around 42pence per litre.

Mike we decimalised in 1970 something, before I was born in the ancient times about which I care nothing Wink
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 02:39:17 PM »
I hope you have some maps, already. Smiley  

San Francisco is worth seeing.  Sundown drinks/dinner at Cliff House is worth the trip, even if you ignored the rest of the city.  Sausalito, across the Golden Gate is worth a couple of hours of walk-around.

The drive from San Francisco through Yosemite is spectacular.  Rest up in late afternoon and cross Death Valley at ngiht, though.  That is serious HOT.  East from Las Vegas over Boulder Dam and on toward Flagstaff, turn off to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Work east past Flagstaff and then southeast to Alpine, Arizona.  Go on south to Silver City, New Mexico.  The Gila Cliff Dwellings are an interesting side trip.  

It's miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles from Deming, New Mexico on through El Paso and eastward to a little "don't blink" called Kent, Texas, east of Van Horn.  Turn south on State Highway 118.  That takes you into some fairly high mountains and past the McDonald Observatory, with one of the world's largest telescopes.

Going south from the old western town of Fort Davis and the restored cavalry post there takes you to US 90 at Alpine, Texas.  That takes you to San Antonio, and is the more scenic way across southern Texas than the Intersate.

In San Antonio, the most interesting part, IMO, is the center of town.  The shops and cafes along what's called "The River Walk", and the Alamo.  Otherwise, it's just another large city.

Lotsa options from San Antonio.  The Texas hill country north of there has some scenic drives, with early German-settlement towns like Fredericksburg, yuppified though it has become.

Austin has all manner of entertainment, all over town.  You couldn't take it all in in a month, really.

From the Austin area, you can run southeast if you want to see the Gulf coastal area, or northeast through rural country to Interstate 20 and on eastward or northeastward...

Houston is nothing but a pain in the butt to get through.   Good Cajun cooking and music in Louisiana, particularly at Mulate's Restaurant at about the 108 mile marker on I-10.

If you get to Nashville, Tennessee, the Opryland Hotel is an intriguing monument to bad taste.  If you like country music, I highly recommend the Ernest Tubb record shop, across the street from the Opryland on the north side.  They have lots of the old stuff as well as the modern.

My home is about 100 miles south of Fort Davis, Texas, on the west edge of Big Bend National Park.  Terlingua.  An old mercury mining town, now a tourist area.  It's hot, though, and dust is a notable part of life, here.  Except when we get summer rains and then it's mud for a day or so. Smiley  But if you like to shoot, that's easy to do.  I have a benchrest on my front porch and a pistol range behind the house.  If I'm here, when you're in the area, I'm pretty easy to find.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Ron

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 03:25:33 PM »
Thanks for chiming in Art. I felt bad when I reread my post. I certainly didn't mean Texas was boring.

Just driving through it on the interstate is!

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 03:40:17 PM »
With my travel-crazed mother I've done a ton of traveling inside the US, including all of the national parks. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is trying to see too much at once. You'll end up spending all of your time in the car and not have any time to really explore the places you visit.

I would suggest for a 3-week trip you could drive a sideways "U" Start in texas, head to Las Vegas hitting grand canyon along the way, then head to sanfrancisco hitting yosemite along the way, Drive up through Marin on US1 along the coast, hit redwoods and/or sequoia natonal park which is just amazing, cratar lake in oregon, head up to seattle, see the rainforests on mt ranier, then head back east through idaho into montana and see glacier national park, then south into wyoming and spend some time in yellowstone and grand tetons. Of all the parks I think yosemite is my favorite, but it can be hellishly busy in peak season, glacier is a close second and less busy, but the grand canyon and sequoia shouldn't be missed either.

This trip will take every bit of 3 weeks and you'll still be missing tons of stuff. And honestly, the middle part of the country is flat and borning, mostly endless farm fields. Then you can come back later and do a tour of the east coast.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »
A word about travel in the southwestern U.S. during July/August:

HOT!

Not "Muffy, be a dear and turn the fan up a tick" uncomfortable, but skin searing , 2nd degree burn HOT!!!
110-120F is not uncommon during that time period.

Other than that, it's a nice place to visit.

If you end up in New Mexico at some point, you must try a green chili cheeseburger.  If you are in a New Mexico restaurant and you are asked "red or green", the correct answer is "green". Hate to ruin your holiday with a severe case of flame tongue. Wink