Author Topic: Prohibition Documentary  (Read 2546 times)

Rick Finsta

Prohibition Documentary
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
Watching Ken Burns' new documentary on Prohibition; it's making me want to put on my wookie suit and start busting caps.  You'll know if I get there by disc three...  =D

Anyways, suggested watching for sure.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Prohibition Documentary
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:06:34 AM »
Watched it first run. Ken Burns' formula still works. I felt like I knew a lot about the prohibition era, but I was surprised by some of the history of the temperance movement during the 19th Century.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
My wife was watching it, and I caught bits and pieces. I was surprised to learn that the temperance movement had succeeded in getting "facts" put in all of the school books nationwide saying that a single drink would damage the liver, throat, and other organs. I didn't think the do-gooders were able to co-opt the education system so early in our country's history.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »
That's they key freak-out fact I was referencing. That groundwork with state legislatures is part of what made the amendment ratification process so quick. That, and what sounds like the first real professional lobbying group in American history, the Anti-Saloon League. It's just fascinating how the wet and dry divide cut across so many other facets of society.

(Edit for spelli)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:11:32 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
it was on pbs here and I DVR'd it. Some of it I knew about due to being interested in the origins of AA.

There were 3 shows that I managed to record are there more?

Anyway, I have not gotten thru all three but its fascinating, I usually despise pbs.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
Haven't seen it yet.  Twenty some odd years ago I moved from Florida to Westerville Ohio.  Little did I know it was the home of the Temperance League and was still dry at that time.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »
Listened to Ken Burns in a Reason interview with Nick Gillespie (AKA, "The Jacket").

Rarely in the history of man has there been someone so sure that they deserve to slurp up the taxpayers' dollars.  Even rarer is his arrogance in belief that they ought to be grateful to him as he eats out their substance.  He was so damned self-satisfied, arrogant, insufferable, and prickly that I wanted to strangle the worthless sack.  Were he someone like a conservative minister or the like, he would have been derided and ridiculed all over the nation's media.  But, since he is Ken-*expletive deleted*ing-Burns, they will fellate him with text.

I refuse to watch anything the tax-eater has a hand in.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
There are two "thou shalt nots" in the Constitution.

One says "thou shalt not drink."  The other says "thou shalt not posess another human being as property."

The fact that somebody put the two on the same level should tell you what you need to know about the depth of their depravity.  It's the same fight we've always fought with those kinds of people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:35:50 PM »

One says "thou shalt not drink."  The other says "thou shalt not posess another human being as property."

The fact that somebody put the two on the same level should tell you what you need to know about the depth of their depravity.  It's the same fight we've always fought with those kinds of people.

Meh.

I think slavery needs a serious reinvention/reintroduction.  As a function of prison terms, perhaps?  And escape from slavery merits a "shoot on sight" death sentence?

Slavery due to skin color or due to circumstance of birth, is a bad thing.

Slavery due to earned circumstances, is another thing entirely.

(But that being said, "thou shalt not drink" is uber-stoopid.)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »

The COTUS takes a dim view of treason, IIRC.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton