Author Topic: It is official...you can sue for anything  (Read 2968 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
It is official...you can sue for anything
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
http://inmovies.ca/news/woman_sues_because_drive_didnt_have_enough_car_chases/b5909b8a

Michigan lady is apparently suing the distributor of the movie Drive.  Lady states that the promotions were intentionally misleading.  The lawsuit is filed the MI consumer protection act. 
"Drive bore very little similarity to a chase, or race action film... having very little driving in the motion picture," says the suit. Another issue for Deming? She also claims the movie is anti-Semitic.
She wants her money back and for the movie studios to cease and desist making "misleading" movie trailers.  She also wants to turn the lawsuit into a class action.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: It is official...you can sue for anything
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »
LOL, she has a good point though-some trailers really stink.
I try not to watch them anymore, what really ruined it for me was the trailer for "Liar, Liar" the Jim Carrey movie. The trailer showed every funny scene in the movie leaving nothing to be surprised about.

This is my favorite trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11B9L2awVA
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »
As an Ohio State alumnus, I feel it's my duty to point out that the lady is from Michigan.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
You want trailers that don't mislead?  Try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxx4ijz3aig

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »
Another "sue for anything"
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/12/texas-woman-sues-continental-over-turbulent-flight

Lady is suing Continental Airlines and 3 other airlines.  She states that she received mental trauma from a turbulent flight.  The 2009 flight usually was very short, but wound up taking 2 hours and it "encountered extreme turbulence that caused her to fear for her life."  She now claims to have PTSD and fears flying, "which had a detrimental impact on her career."
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
Is false advertising not a crime now?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »
"This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the movie “The Never Ending Story"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:48:34 PM »
She also wants to turn the lawsuit into a class action.
No she don't.  Her lawyer does.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
Can I sue the makers of IRON MAN because there was no actual iron in the suit?.....or even an actual man in the suit?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:31 PM »
So where do I sign up for this class action suit?

I've seen plenty of bad movies with misleading trailers.  :laugh:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »
Is false advertising not a crime now?
Not for politicians.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »
LOL, she has a good point though-some trailers really stink.
I try not to watch them anymore, what really ruined it for me was the trailer for "Liar, Liar" the Jim Carrey movie. The trailer showed every funny scene in the movie leaving nothing to be surprised about.

This is my favorite trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11B9L2awVA

Wife:  "Wow, that looks really good.  We should rent that!"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:17:24 AM by kgbsquirrel »

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »

erictank

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 02:23:43 AM »
Can I sue the makers of IRON MAN because there was no actual iron in the suit?.....or even an actual man in the suit?....

There was - a man, in the suit, I mean.  At least in some of the scenes.  There actually was a practical suit, even if it was made out of plastic and resin instead of iron and he didn't always wear the whole thing and it was CG in some of the scenes.

And even there, the Mark 1 practical suit weighed 90-100lbs, according to Favreau and the stunt guy who wore the thing.  That's actual steel there - which is largely iron.  There you go, a real iron man.   :P  Find a new target, there're plenty out there.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 06:27:41 AM »
There was - a man, in the suit, I mean. 

No....it was Robert Downey Jr.......I rest my case....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.