Author Topic: More Stupid Parents  (Read 3195 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
More Stupid Parents
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/12/us-corn-maze-lost-idUSTRE79B6I320111012

Mother and father take a three week old baby into a corn maze as night approaches. (You took your 3 week old out for walking around at night in the cold in Massachusetts?! For reference, the temperature dropped to 49º in Danvers, MA last night.)

And then, instead of shouting for someone to help them, they call 911. ("We thought this would be fun. Instead it's a nightmare")

The police show up. They "search" for the family by shouting for them and find them 25 feet into the maze.

Also, the police didn't release the name of the family. I'm sorry, they need to be billed for the police response and shamed for their stupidity.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: More Stupid Parents
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »
Yep, they were 25' from the road when they made the 911 call.  Walking toward the traffic noises would have gotten them out in about, oh, 3.2 seconds give or take a bit.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
The first time I heard this, I thought they just walked into a corn field and got lost.  Then I found out they went into a maze intending to get lost and panicked when the inevitable happened. 

Will that kid grow up to be like them?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »
Snort! The interbebz is a wonderful source of examples of complete human stupidity!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
The stoopid of this makes my brain hurt.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
I thought they just walked into a corn field and got lost.

I always wondered how people get lost in cornfields.  Couldn't they just, like, keep walking until they got to the end of the row?

(I grew up on a farm.  Big fields of corn, every year.  It takes a very young child, or a special kind of ineptitude, to get lost in a corn field.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:10:07 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 07:19:51 PM »
Parents outwitted by a maze of maize.....this kid is doomed from the start....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »
Having lived in Danvers for four years, I have to say, in all fairness...

Nah, I got nothin'.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »
Actually they have 2 kids, the three week old and another child (age unknown).
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »
Actually they have 2 kids, the three week old and another child (age unknown).

:facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
Darwin has been denied his due.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »
This was a real emergency in the eyes of the woman.  She's a first-time mother, apparently, who has taken her child out of the house for the first time, and the mosquitoes are descending along with the sun.  All she has for shelter is her husband - you know, the jerk who suggested they go out and play in the corn maze in the first place. :facepalm:

The fact seems to have been that she was paniced.  Unable to reason out a plan of action on her own and that doofus lump of a husband was absolutely a pillar of no help at all because even he could not come up with the idea of calling a friend and asking the friend to contact the farm folks to come and extricate them.  And he seems to have fulfilled his role as head doofus by not taking the phone away from her and calling someone other than the cops. :facepalm:

It is important to note that the cops share much blame in this saga as it appears they did not bother contacting the maze operators and asking them to go in and bring out the stranded family before showing off the prowess of their tracking dog. :facepalm:

And what maze operator does not keep track of how many folks go into the maze and then come out again before shutting down operations for the night?  Heck, I'm willing to bet that even our intrepid APS attorneys can see the lawsuit that little ommission will support. :facepalm:

All in all, a four-facepalm incident.  That might just be a record of some sort.  I'd consider going to look it up, but I'm afraid I might get lost in the world's record book and never find my way out before the sun goes down.  Then what would I do? [tinfoil]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »
All in all, a four-facepalm incident.

Enough fail for everyone to have a piece.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 08:38:25 AM »
This was a real emergency in the eyes of the woman.  She's a first-time mother, apparently, who has taken her child out of the house for the first time, and the mosquitoes are descending along with the sun.  All she has for shelter is her husband - you know, the jerk who suggested they go out and play in the corn maze in the first place. :facepalm:

The fact seems to have been that she was paniced.  Unable to reason out a plan of action on her own and that doofus lump of a husband was absolutely a pillar of no help at all because even he could not come up with the idea of calling a friend and asking the friend to contact the farm folks to come and extricate them.  And he seems to have fulfilled his role as head doofus by not taking the phone away from her and calling someone other than the cops. :facepalm:

It is important to note that the cops share much blame in this saga as it appears they did not bother contacting the maze operators and asking them to go in and bring out the stranded family before showing off the prowess of their tracking dog. :facepalm:

And what maze operator does not keep track of how many folks go into the maze and then come out again before shutting down operations for the night?  Heck, I'm willing to bet that even our intrepid APS attorneys can see the lawsuit that little ommission will support. :facepalm:

All in all, a four-facepalm incident.  That might just be a record of some sort.  I'd consider going to look it up, but I'm afraid I might get lost in the world's record book and never find my way out before the sun goes down.  Then what would I do? [tinfoil]

stay safe.

Ah not a first time mom...it was a family of 4...Dad, Mom, some kid of unknown age and the 3 week old.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 08:44:31 AM »
Eh.. it's best the police went in and rescued them.

Feeding off the corpses of their parents, raised in a semi-feral state by crows and evil spirits...  It's just not good for the community as a whole.

I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »

stay safe.

As pointed out, they had another child.

Also, according to the article I posted:

Potter said staff members had not left the farm when the family called police and knew there were people were in the maze. But he said he did not hear anyone call out for help.

So, you can fault the police and blame the dad if you want, but I'm not willing to let the mother off the hook just because she's a helpless woman. (I'm SURE my wife, as a first time mother would understand yelling for help before calling 911.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

P5 Guy

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
Two reasons why the Mass. Politicos are who they are. I think the Mass. State Assembly should ban mazes with higher than 40 inch walls. It is for the sake of the children.
And they think the south and the fly over population is is mentally challenged?

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Two reasons why the Mass. Politicos are who they are. I think the Mass. State Assembly should ban mazes with higher than 40 inch walls. It is for the sake of the children.
And they think the south and the fly over population is is mentally challenged?

P5 Guy, I believe they would have to disagree with you on the 40" walls, they will instead pass on a ban on walls higher than 24".  This will enable the person using the maze to get the feeling of being in a maze, but not feel trapped by the maze.  If they do get that trapped feeling, they will then be able to just step over the walls and get to freedom. [/sarcasm]

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
Skid, the maze was open for business.

All she had to do was yell.

Or just was through the corn towards the traffic noise.

Or, which also has the benift of being what she paid for, suck it up and just find her way out of the maze.

And I wouldn't bash the cops on this one. They probably were doing there own  :facepalm: once the figured out the level of stoopid they were dealing with.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
hey  she was seriously lost  took 7 min for dog to find her
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
What's wrong with just pushing your way through till you reached an edge.  Being that it happened in Mass, it explains a lot as to why the "man" could not rescue his wife.  

hey  she was seriously lost  took 7 min for dog to find her

I don't think they were too lost, the dog had to deal with all the smells from all the people all day long.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »
What's wrong with just pushing your way through till you reached an edge.  Being that it happened in Mass, it explains a lot as to why the "man" could not rescue his wife.  

I don't think they were too lost, the dog had to deal with all the smells from all the people all day long.

Would you want to save her if she was your wife?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
I think the Mass. State Assembly should ban mazes with higher than 40 inch walls. It is for the sake of the children.

No honest citizen needs a maze larger than a canned ham....

hey  she was seriously lost  took 7 min for dog to find her

Why do you think that the dog was looking for her?....this was its best chance for escape....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
Skid, the maze was open for business.

Some reports say otherwise.  But it's not that big an issue.

All she had to do was yell.

Yeppers.

Or just was through the corn towards the traffic noise.

But they are Massholes - and know doing so would kill the corn..  Can't have that, can we?

Or, which also has the benift of being what she paid for, suck it up and just find her way out of the maze.

On ger own, without State direction?  Are you loony?

And I wouldn't bash the cops on this one. They probably were doing there own  :facepalm: once the figured out the level of stoopid they were dealing with.

Have you heard the tape of the 911 call?  The hesitancy in the husband's voice as he tries calling out "Hello, K-9"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
There are perfectly good reasons to get lost in cornfields. My mother told me of her grandmother telling her that as a child she got lost in the cornfields to hide from Pawnee raiders.

Oh, you say that is different and that I am giving my age away?
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell