Author Topic: Yay, ASUS!  (Read 818 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Yay, ASUS!
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »
I bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago.

Hated the OEM software load.

So, I wiped it.  My own Windows key (Enterprise instead of Home Premium), drivers, only the software I needed.  No OEM bloatware.

Except, I didn't have install media for the 1 piece of actually valuable software that came with the machine:  The Blu-Ray player software that makes it possible to play encrypted commercial BR discs.

I emailed ASUS earlier this week in regards to this.  Simple online form where I input my model number and serial number of my laptop, and what I needed help with.

They emailed back and sent me a link to download a DVD/BR player suite. 

My previous experiences have led me to believe that hardware vendors do not release this kind of software, ever, to the public, without some sort of price attached to it... only to their service centers.

No software license key.

Awesome.  Big huge plus eleventies to ASUS.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Yay, ASUS!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »
Cool, one big point to Asus for my next computer.

One thing I hate about new computers is all the crap pre-loaded on the system.  Even worse are free trials that bug you every week if you don't uninstall them.  My last Dell laptop took 3 hours to clean up after I bought it.

My Dell workstation, on the other hand, I got used from the Pratt & Whitney surplus store.  It had XP and not much else.  And it's been the most solid machine I've ever owned.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Yay, ASUS!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »
My last Dell laptop took 3 hours to clean up after I bought it.

It takes less time to wipe and repave, with zero chance of some lingering bit of confusion and malconfiguration remaining from the removed junkware.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.