Author Topic: OK. Maybe I can't get my old integrated amp fixed. Now what?  (Read 1183 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I posted a thread last night asking for recommendations for good online audiophile forums. Thanks to those who replied.

Specifically, I was looking for a source for repair for my twenty-some year-old NAD 3140 integrated amp. It was one of the best made way back when, and I thought it would still be a decent amp to have today.

I'm sensing that there's nobody out there with the parts and experience to work on it, though.

So, what would be a good used (and inexpensive) integrated amp? No more than 50 watts needed.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
OK. Maybe I can't get my old integrated amp fixed. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:01:59 PM »
How do you define "inexpensive"??  

My current serious listening setup uses a gainclone amplifier I built myself for about $30 plus a handful of spare parts I had laying around.  I have an extreme/snobbish audiophile friend who insists that his "inexpensive" $2,000 tube amp was a real bargain.  It's fair to say that "inexpensive" can vary considerably from one person to the next.

Have you checked Ebay to see if anyone is selling a working version of your old NAD amp?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »
HTG, that NAD 3140 cost me about $500 or so back in 1981. NAD's are still in the $500+ range.

I'm thinking that something for a couple of hundred bucks would do for now. Actually, that price range _has_ to do for now, since I just started adding up the cost of projects we need done around the house:

Rebuild chimney--$8,000

Finish reburbishing main bathroom--$3,000 to $5,000.

Four new sidewalk slabs--~$3,000.

Possible (crossing fingers don't need it) new roof--$5,000

New garage--$15,000

Just adding all those things up, I just realized that I'll probably get them done and paid for by the time I die.

Maybe my wife can just use the portable CD player and headphones she has for her job. Wink

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »
Dunno if this is a help or hindrance, but when my Nikko NR750 amp died a couple years ago, I couldn't find replacement parts stateside.  So I bought a Jolida 502 integrated amp, albeit with 4 pentodes instead of those transistor/integrated circuit thingies.  $1200, and I don't regret it at all:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"